Necromunda TribeMeet2019UK - NCE

Blood Donor

Executive Officer in Charge of the 2014 Bake Sale
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Aug 23, 2011
Golden, British Columbia, Canada
...Hey @Blood Donor ... you ever do that thing with maple syrup where you throw it into the snow and wrap it around a stick as a kid?
I think so. The real treat I was privvy to was visiting a young French Canadian friend in the rural outskirts on the south shore of the St Lawrence near Quebec City where she was from, and when we arrived at her family's sugar shack, her elderly Grandmother opened the big vat of reducing sap water (which gets sweeter as it thickens) and ladelled us each some piping hot maple sap water over vodka... at like 10:30am. Ate the most delicious sort of French Canadian lunch (tortierre, mac and cheese, etc.) after... the kind that Martin Picard of The Wild Chef would stand for.

But that hot maple vodka. Hawt lawdy. I also worked at a Memphis style BBQ pit for a year or two and we had a glaze spray for the brisket and pork shoulder while it was in the smoker to caramelize the outside of the meat and create that real sought after crispy bark on the outside. The spray bottle was full of equal parts Jack Daniels, maple syrup, and apple juice. It was like the Simpsons episode where Homer imagines the car fueled by alcohol: equal parts of the apple maple jack would go into the cook's coffee while on shift...

Blood Donor

Executive Officer in Charge of the 2014 Bake Sale
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Aug 23, 2011
Golden, British Columbia, Canada
...Never had Memphis bbq. I'm from st. Louis. So I know what's up on some bbq my man also lived in ga and al for a hot min. So that's what's up. Lol
I believe Memphis has some of the slow cooked and dry rub styles of Texas but combines that with striving for the more sauce basted succulence of something closer to St Louis by being very marinated cuts of meats. The briskets were brined for like 3 days to soak in a bunch of flavour and gain a lot of liquid mass, and then while it was in the smoker for like 28 hours we would inject it with a syringe of more of that apple maple jack so that it could just baste in juices from the inside while that caramelized bark on the outside helps hold it all in. The meat gets real fluffy and juicy.

I am quite envious of your geographic location in the heart of such good American BBQ. It was a bit of a shitty job as far as working like 3pm-3am, being understaffed and being a 23 year old shit head chainsmoking cigarettes and drinking too many beer every night. But taking home free racks of ribs every night was blissful.

Anyways it is all really the same spread of BBQ processes for preparing rat, spider, and worm meat in the more southern clusters of the underhive domes, so all this BBQ talk is completely poignant to Necromunda and therefore just adds to the plot thickening of day 21 :)