N18 Trying to kick-start gaming circle in my area, need tips.

KindKarver

Juve
Oct 14, 2019
Hello,

I am dead-set on playing Necromunda, sadly there is no campaign ongoing at the moment! That won't do at all!

As such with the new box incoming I am trying to create a Necromunda gaming circle and to do so I want to use my local gaming shop "teaching weekends" where a guy who wants people to play with them supplies 2 armies and some scenery (rest is from the shop itself) to test-play with people interested in the game. I hope to get at least 2 other people so we can have a small campaign and then go from there.

Unfortunately although I have all the rule-books and I'm in the middle of creating a second gang (it will be Escher vs Goliath with the "newbie" choosing which one he/she will play) I have no experience in running that sort of thing! I play-tested a few games only in my short Necromunda career.

As such I wanted you to give me some tips on how you would get around to running such event AND I would appreciate if you could take a look at my two lists and tell me if they are decent to go up against each other!

Here is my final Goliath list:

And here is my WIP Escher list:

Thank you for any help, I really appreciate it!

Fold

Gang Hero
Oct 26, 2013
London E2
fromthewastes.com
One of the great things about Necromunda is the chance to develop stories about the gang members and play a skirmish game where each fighter has unique weaponry and skills.

Your sample gangs are setting off on the wrong foot, in my opinion, in the sense that they’re made up of copycat gangers with the same equipment and skills.

I understand that you may want to minimise complexity but I think the result will be a bland experience compared to what you could offer with a more varied starting lineup. And, people will forgive a bit of complexity, especially if the models are armed with what the roster says, and players will go away with their imaginations stoked.

Reactions: KindKarver

KindKarver

Juve
Oct 14, 2019
One of the great things about Necromunda is the chance to develop stories about the gang members and play a skirmish game where each fighter has unique weaponry and skills.

Your sample gangs are setting off on the wrong foot, in my opinion, in the sense that they’re made up of copycat gangers with the same equipment and skills.

I understand that you may want to minimise complexity but I think the result will be a bland experience compared to what you could offer with a more varied starting lineup. And, people will forgive a bit of complexity, especially if the models are armed with what the roster says, and players will go away with their imaginations stoked.
You actually nailed my intentions - I was actually really, REALLY concerned about complexity. I have a solution to this - I could increase the points by 250 (to 1250) and play around with special equipment from the Trading Post to show off some of the good stuff!

Thanks you kindly for an idea!

Fold

Gang Hero
Oct 26, 2013
London E2
fromthewastes.com
You actually nailed my intentions - I was actually really, REALLY concerned about complexity. I have a solution to this - I could increase the points by 250 (to 1250) and play around with special equipment from the Trading Post to show off some of the good stuff!

Thanks you kindly for an idea!
I would stick with 1000creds but just ensure no champions or leaders have the same loadout, and no more than 2 gangers are identical.

Reactions: KindKarver

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I think the appropriate level of complexity depends on the target audience.

If you're running a demo for established wargamers who are new to Necromunda, then they can probably cope with some added complexity.

If participants aren't used to wargames at all - for instance, they're really board gamers that you're trying to convert to wargames - then it may be better to keep it simple.

KindKarver

Juve
Oct 14, 2019
1. Rent a van.
2. Buy sweets.
3. Lure future Necromunda gamers into your van with sweets.

Job done without a hassle.
I think the kind of gamer that populate my shop would be more attracted to discounted beer, but I like where you are going with it :LOL:

Reactions: Ben_S