Necromunda TSeftz's Painting Log

Tseftz

Jan 17, 2020
Hello everyone, I'm TSeftz (or Tom) from Glasgow,

I've been playing Necromunda (Community Edition and Underhive / 2017) for around three years now, and I've been using YakTribe but haven't had a presence on the forums.

My modelling and painting is pretty erratic, both in terms of speed and quality, and want to keep track of what I've achieved / improved on / tried / finished over time - and this looks like the perfect place! There should be a reasonable variety to what I'm putting together, and am hoping to turn to a couple of terrain building projects soon too.

Please leave any C&C you have! I'm by no means an expert painter, but always aim for slightly better than tabletop ready.

I'm going to use this first post to give a taste of what's to come:

Eschers
full.jpg

I've run Eschers more than any other gang through a couple of campaigns across editions, usually Iron Bella and the SlagRatz. Above is the mini I'm probably most pleased with. I've got plenty to do - still need to paint my Wyld Runners, Death Maidens, and I've done plenty of other weapon swaps that're sadly still in the grey.

Cawdor
full.jpg

I've still only painted a few of these old boys, but hoping to fill out their numbers and run them in an upcoming NCE campaign, so expect to see more of these red cloaked cultists as I get on.

Van Saar
full.jpg

Another old metal gang I've been cultivating and not finishing - but this is my take on their old green scheme. Begun this project just as lockdown started, and still to finish!

Goliaths
full.jpg

Also in a sorry state, got some conversions to do and not picked up any of the expansion figures yet. Still grey, as are the Ambots, so sad.

Enforcers
full.jpg

These simple conversions have been my pride and joy over the past couple of weeks, and they've been about the fastest I've put anything together and painted in years. Expect a subsequent post about these very soon!

Others
Also to start painting are:
Delaques
Scavvies
Genestealer Cultists
Let's see if I forget about these!

MedMos

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Welcome to the forum, then. Looking forward to more pictures. I like that Van Saar very much! Can't put my finger on it, but he puts out an almost fantasy-esque adventurer vibe. Great paint job!

Reactions: Tseftz

Tseftz

Jan 17, 2020
Welcome to the forum, then. Looking forward to more pictures. I like that Van Saar very much! Can't put my finger on it, but he puts out an almost fantasy-esque adventurer vibe. Great paint job!
Cheers!
I know what you mean looking at that picture now - I think it could be a combination of some warm leather tones / lighting, plus most of the old Van Saars have that slack-jawed half-shouting face that quite a lot of the old Mordhiem figures have.

Welcome from the Troll! Like what I’m seeing so far!
Thanks Troll!

Lovely work. I particularly like seeing an old shoulder-mounted heavy bolter in the wild!
Yeah, I was lucky to have a couple kicking around - unfortunately I sold the rest of my Advanced Scouts, I happed to have one that I'd broken. I was surprised just how similarly shaped their arms were and ended up being a pretty trivial swap. Inspired me to paint the whole gang with old-school red and yellow weapons.

Welcome! Lovely stuff, really liking the Van Saar and your Enforcer conversions, but the rest is great too. Looking forward to more!
Thanks Ivan! The Enforcers have been a real passion project and I have my first 1000 credits' worth painted and ready to go to a game tonight, so I'll be posting more very soon.

Tseftz

Jan 17, 2020
Enforcers / Adeptus Arbites

I really wish I'd taken more WIP shots of these as I went on, but this was about the fastest and most pleasing hobby projects I've done in a long time. I had a couple of goals here, first was to go a bit more Judge Dredd than the Enforcers are out of the box, but also to harken back to the old Arbites models from Jes Goodwyn. This has been something I've been thinking about doing for a long time - short of picking up some of the original minis (which is still an ebay saved search! but I'm very happy with these guys).

I'll have to shout out to Wade Pryce from Warhammer Community for giving me the idea to use the the Skitarii Vanguard heads. I really like how faceless these are, and have that Cromwellian lobster tail that really shouts 'police riot helmet'.

full.jpg

So, I posted this one before but I think it shows off the steps I made. I assembled the torsos, and then cut the right shoulder off of everyone. I replaced these with the most eagle-y pauldrons from the SM Vanguard and Sternguard boxes (luckily I had a fair few of these left over from an abandoned Kill Team project). I considered going third party with these, but I've played in a couple of campaigns in my local GW so felt it was best to keep this option open with these guys.

They all got Vanguard heads as mentioned, with the Champion / Judge / Captain getting a helmet crest from the SM Mk III box. He was also getting the overcoat from the Tempestor Prime, which took a lot of carving away to make fit:
full.jpg

There are a few additonal details added to each figure - mostly from Space Marine and other Necromunda kits. Pouches came from all over to try and match the size of the weapon carried. The captain got a cross badge / medal again from the Sternguard kit, and the sergeants got a skull and aquilla badge combo scraped from marine backpacks and bolters respectively. The patrolmen all got a winged skull badge I scraped off a Dark Angels veteran backpack (quite an old one I think) which I press moulded to get a few identical pieces. I also cobbled together an autopistol from one of the Enforcer stub guns and a Genestealer Cult autopistol, which I think really fits the aesthetic. There's a few other bits here and there that I can't remember / are minor, so feel free to ask.

full.jpg

I also threw caution to the wind and used spray primers for these guys. I've generally avoided them living in Scotland - I've had some pretty bad experiences I assumed were humidity related, but Chaos Black came through. Even took to opportunity to do some cheeky stencilling and do some (in my opinion) half decent hazard stripes.

full.jpg

On to painting. Here they are basecoated - it took my ages to figure out what to do with the circles. I thought it'd be a good chance to get some contrast in to the models, but ended up hating how this looked. I think I was thinking about the police in Fifth Element, but it just looked permanently unfinished. I ended up just slapping on some heavy blue with Basilicanum Grey over the top (which I liked so much I repeated on all the lenses).

This is where the Dredd look really came into its own. At first a lot less of the model was green, but I came up with a logic that the green was for anything potentially rubbery - and thought the kneepad and front of the boot could be grippy for kneeling. In future, I might throw in some leather tones to break these up a bit.

full.jpg

Here's the first four I got done. I think the grey highlight on the armour might be a bit thick - it's one of those difficult situations where in close up it looks rubbish, but from three feet away it makes them stand out a bit. I decided to go with just gunmetal weapons. I was going to make the bolter chassis etc the same colour as the armour, but I thought the gunmetal broke them up a bit more. I highlighted the green, but I don't think it reads and will probably do another pass with more yellow mixed in.

(There's also a drip of black wash on the coat I can't be bothered to fix :rolleyes:)

full.jpg

And here's the final group shot of the first seven Enforcers ready to crack some skulls in the Underhive! I don't know if I'll post an update on how they fare tonight, but I'm looking forward to trying them out.

What'll be happening next with this gang is:
-Painting the other three (another bolter boy and two rookies)
-Getting some Subjugators. Not sure when this'll happen, but definitely before I ever enter a campaign as Enforcers. When I do, I'll be adding the same shoulder pads and finding a way to make a Captain stand out - I'll be sure to document this a bit clearly.

Up next:
No idea! Eschers or Cawdor, maybe.

RexHavoc

Juve
Apr 12, 2014
Those Enforcers are top notch! I also wanted to make mine a bit more Dredd-esque but without loosing too much of the flavour of the sculpt, this is a spot on conversion that does that!
Also a fan of that big shoulder mounted bolter, such a great mini there! Fantastic stuff!

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
It's nice work. I do like the skitarii helmets and the Judge Dredd vibe. The asymmetric shoulder pads look a bit odd to me though, if I'm honest.

Tseftz

Jan 17, 2020
Those Enforcers are top notch! I also wanted to make mine a bit more Dredd-esque but without loosing too much of the flavour of the sculpt, this is a spot on conversion that does that!
Also a fan of that big shoulder mounted bolter, such a great mini there! Fantastic stuff!
Cheers! I'm really pleased with how they turned out - so much so that I've ordered some Subjugators to round out the gang (I had a game last night with them and got absolutely thrashed (hoping that it doesn't turn out to be the first game of a campaign as both my sergeants will be dead, and my captain was shot in the eye ☹️).
At first I was a little afraid of leaning too heavy into Dredd, but now I'm very glad I did.

Aye, I was very lucky to have it in my bitz box. When Kill Team elites / commanders came out, I wanted to make a 2nd Ed Blood Angels roster à la the inside cover of Codex Imperialis - lots of back banners, old terminators, advanced scouts and the pre-Tycho deathmask captain. Soon scrapped that idea and sold most of it on, but I'd trod on one of the scouts and didn't want to sell it :p

full.png

I was quite surprised quite how well these lined up - also when you can see the stock it looks super dumb. At some point I'll finish another shoulder mounted weapon for my Escher, bionic arm and lascannon. This was unfortunately shelved when pandemic hit, but one day I'll do it - maybe even for a different gang who need some extra firepower!
full.png

"I am the Law" in my best Stalone slur.

Great work
Thanks!

It's nice work. I do like the skitarii helmets and the Judge Dredd vibe. The asymmetric shoulder pads look a bit odd to me though, if I'm honest.
Thanks! Yes, I was impressed just how much they line up with some of the Arbites artwork but with added respirator gear.
I felt the same when I put the first together - I intended to green stuff a larger, ribbed piece to go over the stripes on the Enforcer chest/ shoulder plate, but I lost patience after my first couple of sculpting attempts. I think it definitely looks outrageous, and yeah probably not everyone's cup of tea - but I think that means I did well emulating the feel of the Dredd-verse uniforms and the old Arbites :)