LRB Turning with heavy weapon

Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Hey all

Played a game of LRB Oldcromunda the other day, and something cropped up.

Have a ganger with a heavy weapon (heavy stubber) and wanted to turn on the spot and shoot. My gaming buddy and I couldn't find anything in the rules (LRB) that states you can't do that, so we allowed it.

Just want to check we didn't miss anything - is that actually allowed, or does turning on the spot count as moving?

Thanks in advance.

Fold

Gang Hero
Oct 26, 2013
London E2
fromthewastes.com
In addition to the above, it’s worth noting that in the NCE there is a clarification that you can turn on the spot during the movement phase without it counting as movement.

I haven’t read the LRB, but as the NCE was built on the LRB, we can assume that at least the NCE authors of the time felt this was a reasonable clarification of the LRB movement rules (perhaps on the basis that if you’re allowed to turn on the spot at the start of the turn as pointed out above, then why not later as well?)

Reactions: Jaws

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
in the NCE there is a clarification that you can turn on the spot during the movement phase without it counting as movement... as the NCE was built on the LRB, we can assume that at least the NCE authors of the time felt this was a reasonable clarification of the LRB movement rules
Not everything in NCE is simply an attempt to clarify the LRB; some of it is a change or addition.

I'm not that familiar with the LRB but, having had a quick look, I'm inclined to say turning would have to be movement. In the shooting phase, all you can do is pick a target in your 90 degree field of vision (p. 13). This restriction seems rather pointless if you can freely pivot.

Further, I don't see anything either there or in the movement phase about being able to turn freely, without it counting as movement, so I assume you can't. Admittedly, I might have missed something, since searching 'turn' brings up too many results to be useful.

Fold

Gang Hero
Oct 26, 2013
London E2
fromthewastes.com
Not everything in NCE is simply an attempt to clarify the LRB; some of it is a change or addition.

I'm not that familiar with the LRB but, having had a quick look, I'm inclined to say turning would have to be movement. In the shooting phase, all you can do is pick a target in your 90 degree field of vision (p. 13). This restriction seems rather pointless if you can freely pivot.

Further, I don't see anything either there or in the movement phase about being able to turn freely, without it counting as movement, so I assume you can't. Admittedly, I might have missed something, since searching 'turn' brings up too many results to be useful.
I agree turning in the shooting phase would be an actual change (and not one I said was allowed by NCE , at that), since by then you’ve made a number of decisions about facing that should have consequence if you get it wrong. But allowing it in the movement phase seems functionally identical to allowing it at the start of the turn, hence my theory about why it may have been clarified that way in the NCE.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
But is it allowed at the start of the turn (in LRB)?

I said I don't see that - though maybe I'm missing it, if it's not somewhere obvious.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
The fact that he refers to a model's activation makes me think he may be talking about N17/N18, as models don't really have activations as such in LRB. And I don't see anything about this turn (as in pivot) when looking over pages 10-13 (which covers the whole of the movement phase and shooting fire arcs).

I'm not taking any stance on whether or not adding free pivots was a good idea, but as far as I can see it's a change from LRB rules.

Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Thanks guys. For future games I'll go with assuming that you can, even though it's not officially in the LRB, seeing as it seems editions since the LRB state that you can, including the official new version. I'll just call it a house rule.