TUTORIAL: Painting/Modelling

Doghead13

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Dec 28, 2014
Forres, Scotland
The above can also apply to quite a lot more than that and I'd alter 'your imagination' to 'your imagination and knowledge of guns' cause as time goes by it gets more and more tempting to caricature a specific weapon. I use much the same process to build everything from stub guns to rotary autocannons; once you get the hang of it, it solves all of your weapon worries in one fell swoop. I have three addenda;

Can be useful to make the mag from a separate piece (es) of plasticard.

Plastic tubing (about the size of the stuff in a cotton wool bud) is indispensible for things like stock pads, trigger guards, and the pump grips of shotguns - pretty much anything that needs to be smoothly curved.

Disposable cigarette lighters contain several interesting bits and pieces at just the right sort of size to use for gun parts.

Reactions: ThreeDice

Jimst

Gang Champion
Mar 18, 2016
Portsmouth
Pinned since I think it will be a good reference for the community. nooker

Thought I'd start a thread where people can put up any interesting articles about how to do painting effects or modelling techniques. I regularly sift through the internet for interesting painting tutorials so have a few I can stick up. Hopefully people might find something of interest here! I take no credit for these tutorials, I just found em. (The photo taking and editing link is courtesy of djmothra)

Object Source Lighting

Make your Own Washes

How To Paint Faces

Washing And Glazing Technique

How To Paint Tattoos

Metallic Effects

Another metallic effect tutorial

Grey-Scaling Technique

Taking and editing photos made easy!

GREENSTUFF TECHNIQUES

Heresy index of greenstuff tutorials

Sculpting hands with greenstuff

Greenstuffing robes, ropes and chains
Don't suppose you've got any tips for making the world's smallest stencil:ROFLMAO:. I've got over 100 face tattoos to do and I think I'll die if I do them all free hand.

Reactions: trollmeat

KRVSH

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2015
Hamburg
You could always print your own decals. That, or you look for a transfer like tattoo artists use. Still have to paint it then, I guess. Maybe your gal has some carbon paper in the sewing box?

Reactions: trollmeat and Jimst

Jimst

Gang Champion
Mar 18, 2016
Portsmouth
Could be a way forwards my problem is they're gonna be face tattoos(so tiny)and I want them all to look the same (or as close as possible)

Jimst

Gang Champion
Mar 18, 2016
Portsmouth
@Azzabat awesome sites cheers not quite what I was after but did see some awesome hazard stripe transfers on there(y) think I'm going to have to find someone that can print them as I really can't see me getting all those tiny spider tattoos right any other way :ROFLMAO:

Jimst

Gang Champion
Mar 18, 2016
Portsmouth
Anyone got any tips on hacking the guns off of old metal imperial guard. Or an easy way to make the old lasgun look somehow like a shotgun...

Unslain

Ganger
Nov 29, 2014
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, UK
I'm going by the metal cadians, as I don't recall much lasgun difference between regiments, and you could do as little as snip/saw off the signature muzzle piece to get a shotgun.

Next level up would be to either remove or fill in around the top rod-bit that I always thought of as a sight (snotlings know more about guns than I do). If removing, you could replace with a piece of notched plasticard to duplicate the top of the plastic SM scout (and/or old arbites) shotguns.

For double barrels, remove the whole lasgun barrel and the rod beneath and replace with two plastic rods, either 1.5mm or 1mm as looks right to you, of a length you think works. You may find that these will need pinning but I'd try without first to avoid a fiddly job. You could extend the casing with greenstuff or a plasticard length before the rods if you wish.

If you really want a pump-action grip, pressing a very thin sausage of greenstuff around the supporting hand to show the edge of the grip ought to be enough. Blend it down on the hand-side but leave it thick on the other. Don't worry about how thick or straight that top side is, as you can trim it down as you please once the greenstuff has cured.

Hope that's of some use and I'd say all of it's easier than removing the whole gun with a dremel.

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Does anyone have any tips for scratchbuilding ammo belts? I searched around the web, and looked through this thread, but unable to find anything so far...

TakUnderhand

Gang Hero
Dec 28, 2014
Devon, UK
Does anyone have any tips for scratchbuilding ammo belts? I searched around the web, and looked through this thread, but unable to find anything so far...
It's not quite what you want, I know: I did an ammo feed using green stuff: made a rectangular tube and pressed a ridged bit of plastic up against it.

I guess you are after the belts that she's carrying? Perhaps some sort of improvised tube tool would do it?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MedMos