UFO Wars - a small fast pace game I made.

horizon

Ganger
Nov 10, 2022
Hi all,

Last week I released my first game: UFO Wars. While I usually play Battlefleet Gothic something triggered me to write a small game with space ships shooting at eachother. To have it more accessible than Battlefleet Gothic or similar I kept the rules on a single A4.

The game is available in English, Dutch, German, French and Polish (hopefully more will be added!).

There is also a link to STL for UFO's but don't fear any similar shaped object will do to play the game.

Here is the link:
https://linktr.ee/horizonmcr
UFO.jpg

Hi all,

Last week I released my first game: UFO Wars. While I usually play Battlefleet Gothic something triggered me to write a small game with space ships shooting at eachother. To have it more accessible than Battlefleet Gothic or similar I kept the rules on a single A4.

The game is available in English, Dutch, German, French and Polish (hopefully more will be added!).

There is also a link to STL for UFO's but don't fear any similar shaped object will do to play the game.

Here is the link:
https://linktr.ee/horizonmcr
View attachment 178812
Hi dear @horizon ,

Thank you for sharing the game. I gave it a go. It was a fun little game. Very quick and short. It would make a cool little mini game, perhaps whilst waiting for other players.

I didn't use the files for the UFO figures. Instead I cut the ends off a few kinder surprise capsules and glued beads on. For the asteroid I tried to cut polystyrene to look like a cluster of asteroids. I hope it looks ok on camera.

Do you want feedback for development or in the game as complete as it's ever going to be?

Battle report to follow...

• Love
Reactions: horizon
The yellow Wong Webellion versus the red Wight Dictatorship, fighting above the planet 65s-b-u4yu-tdj54 (catchy name, ain't it)

Hi dear @horizon ,

Thank you for sharing the game. I gave it a go. It was a fun little game. Very quick and short. It would make a cool little mini game, perhaps whilst waiting for other players.

I didn't use the files for the UFO figures. Instead I cut the ends off a few kinder surprise capsules and glued beads on. For the asteroid I tried to cut polystyrene to look like a cluster of asteroids. I hope it looks ok on camera.

Do you want feedback for development or in the game as complete as it's ever going to be?

Battle report to follow...
Heya,
Oh my! This is brilliant! Thanks for playing. <3

Love the kitbash -> kindersurprise. That's totally awesome.
Can I share them on Instagram?

It is more or less complete but feedback is appreciated! There will be a special scenario available soon! End of month!

Heya,
Oh my! This is brilliant! Thanks for playing. <3

Love the kitbash -> kindersurprise. That's totally awesome.
Can I share them on Instagram?

It is more or less complete but feedback is appreciated! There will be a special scenario available soon! End of month!
Sure you can share the pictures. Do you want a photo of just the UFOs?

Shall I DM you my review or just post it here for all to see?

Sorry to take so long. Soooooo....

When I first read the rules I felt that maybe there should be variations in the UFOs. I still think that might improve it but not greatly. And it might put it over a single page, which I love that design.

I thought that maybe it wouldn't give enough tactical options. The fact that the rules limit you to straight movements and precise measurements went a long way to solve that problem. That is why that one UFO got stranded.

But ultimately I feel like the lack of positional bonuses meant that it didn't feel that tactical. The cover worked well along with the design. The reds in particular were trying to use the cover to get advantageous fights. It wasn't game breaking but may have been a deciding factor.

the way I interpreted the rules was that turn priority was only rolled at the beginning of the game. It didn't matter who moved slower or faster they both rolled the same to hit. This set a bizarre power dynamic. Reds chose the engagement and yellows got the first shot. It felt like reds were offering themselves to be shot and yellows felt they were chasing their own tails.

The fact that UFOs could change direction, move in fast but straight, and shoot in any direction fit the theme very well.

I feel it works very well as a mini game. The low entry point and minimal set up are great for that purpose too. A couple of tweeks to avoid the tactics that the reds used would be a good decision if possible.

I will definitely try introducing it to casual gamer types, maybe as an intro into skirmish games as I feel it will be good for teaching foundations, or to skirmish gamers as a little distraction when a more complex game is not possible.

Reactions: horizon
Heya,

Thanks for that! As for moving/slower, there is a hit change but indeed there is a mirror effect going on in which you actually need to synergize between your UFOs. Weirdly enough it works.

And, yeah, it's single page and should be easy.

Also, I have released a special scenario! Get the cow!:

It adds some new mechanics. I might add some more scenarios in the future if I can keep them simple.