Under the Dome

Loriel

Gang Hero
Nov 27, 2013
Kangasala, Finland
I just published a new resource in the vault. https://yaktribe.games/community/vault/under-the-dome.496/

This campaign is heavily inspired by @AskilTU https://yaktribe.games/community/threads/my-rather-old-map-campaign-system-reformatted-for-yaktribe.2963/

I have allready got so far 4 of my friends to join the campaign and we are going to start it January 2015. So far this is highly WIP, but perhaps with the help of our great community!

-----

So in most basic concept this campaign is about small fresh gangs pursuing for better tomorrow in a recently discovered dome.

This campaign introduce territorial control and movement in hexagon map to the game. Basic mechanic of the game is going to be Campaign turns which basicly means that all the players will report their movement at the same time and then work out wether some players ends up in combats, and some players might just escape out of harms way.

Picture will help alot. This one is from our current Warhammer Fantasy Battle campaign where 6 forces are fighting over the control of Crane Hill. Very simple rules where all territories generate points, which can used to build armies and then you make one movement to hex you wish (with army size you wish) and rest are left for defence. Nothing too fancy. http://veli-v.kapsi.fi/crane/ I plan to turn this map to more fitting Necromunda style and use it as base of our games.

Another big overhaul of the regular rules is to have collective trade sequence for all players. Players will do the post battle sequence pretty much as in normal game, but the trade section is complete cut off and it is done by separate rules.

----

Some ideas / to dos I have but haven't implemented yet
- Modify skills more fitting to the campaign. For example Fixer / Inventor
- Correct tons of grammar errors
- Make decent map for the game
- Make decent c++ (or other similar) program to help Arbitrator to make the needed trade rolls ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

SomeHairyGuy

Ganger
Jul 8, 2014
Winchester
Good job, looks like you've put lots of thought into it!

Gotta say, I really love all the secrecy between the players' gangs. In my group we share all the info in our rosters, if asked... makes me wonder how things would go if we had no idea what the others were getting up to.

Might I suggest that the autoturret is either bumped up in cost, or given just one wound (to reflect that it either works or it doesn't, like a machine)? Currently, if I had to face something like that in a match, I'd do everything I could to avoid it, rather than actually just take it on. Also, if you do consider expanding Under The Dome to include Oulander gangs, then Scavvies, Pitslaves and Ratskins would struggle to get into CC with the turret, as well as not having access to the ranged firepower needed to take out a T4, W3 model with a 4+ save. Additionally, would it be large enough to count as a large target and get the +1 to hit modifier?

EDIT: Noticed the Garden of Eden Creation Kit, btw. Can never have too many references!

Reactions: Loriel

Loriel

Gang Hero
Nov 27, 2013
Kangasala, Finland
Thanks for the comment!

We too play with full disclosure list at right now in our Winter of coming, allthough some of the players doesn't want to know.

I wasn't planning to add outlanders to this campaign since I wanted to have as even and balanced campaign as possible. Thus i stripped house weaponlists and only difference between the houses are skill tables ( I tried to give small bonus for muscle ferociy skills in some of the territories also)

Well I was thinking about those defence systems. They have few ways what makes them bad. Firstly they are always bound to one Hex in the map and only available during defence. I anticipate that players are going to do offensive actions more often than just try to defend their turfs, thus defending player will probably have less fighters around, but since I don't want the game end up as yielding I added the rule that if gang could have defended the attack and didn't they get debuff. Secondly I want players to use the Information systems to scout ahead. I don't know should those informations be always available for the sake of the game.

Another thing about our local meta is that we have plenty of covers, so heavies are not actually as effective in our games as they tend to be in most players game. And as far as I am doing I will make even more terrain to hinder heavies line of sights ;)

I will definately make them large targets, allthough mounted fighter should be large though... hmm. perhaps they should be more unreliable, perhaps the ammorolls could be 5+ or even 6+.

Loriel

Gang Hero
Nov 27, 2013
Kangasala, Finland
I updated most of the turret rules. (I will still do more updates and corrections before I upload it to the vault) but I think these rules are much better than the original which I intended. I highlighted with red the things which I made differences

One of the biggest things I worry about is the gang rating aspect. It will make serious hinderence for the gang especially since they are used only at defence and only if they have being assembled in to certain hex. and it will make serious impact on the gang ratings...

Firstly the Heavy weapon platform are raretrade items that can be aquired on D66 roll of 61 - 62. After that roll D6
1-3 it is stationary, 4-5 it is Autoturret, 6, mobile turret.
Roll D6 which heavyweapon is in question
1-3 heavystubber, 4 heavy plasma, 5 heavy bolter, 6 missile launcher (with free krak / frag missiles)

Heavy Weapon platforms
These platforms are special defence systems that are installed to territories as per defence system rules explained before. When the game start they are deployed at the same time as gangers on players own deployment zone.

Weapon platforms are never counted towards bottle tests. They will however cause panic if they are destroyed with the same rules as any friendly fighter would. Weapon platforms are fearless and immune to pinning. However the turret is calculated towards gang rating.

Weapon platforms have 3 wounds, toughness 5 and 4+ armor save. Any wounds caused to the weapon grants wounding hit experience. [note] This will give little more reason to destroye the damn things as well we assume that the fighter learns to shoot better at critical spots etc.. If platform is ever reduced to 0 wounds it will be permanently destroyed. There is no way to repair the damage on platform while the battle is on. They are considered large target.

If weapon platform is engaged in close combat, the attacker can choose to either deactive (incase of automated defence), mount it (incase of stationary weapon) or try to destroy it. Weapon is assumed to have ws 0 and it has 1 attack, however if the platform happends to win the combat it simple means that the attacker failed to do anything to it. Defending player may reactive weapon by moving in base contact with it and at shooting phase instead of shooting active the weapon. Fighter may disengage from closecombat at the start of turn if he wishes.

Failed ammorolls will deal 1 damage without any saves allowed to the platform. Natural ammoroll of 1 will deal d3 damge instead. Any skills, territories or items cannot be used to modify ammorolls (with the exception of upgrade kits)

Stationary heavy weapon X + 3d6

Fixed price is the same as regular price for the weapon. (example heavy stubber is 120)

Stationary: This weapon cannot be moved after it has being deployed in the table.

Mounted: This weapon must be mounted by a fighter. Defending player may mount the weapon in deployment. Weapon is mounted by moving (even running) in basecontact with it. Weapon cannot be fired at the turn it is mounted. Mounted fighter receives 5+ special save. Any saves passed by the fighter is hitted the weapon instead. Weapon also boost the morale of the mounted fighter and that fighter can try to escape pinning as if it were leader. The huge weapon gives courage to the fighter.

Sentries: If heavy weapon is mounted in raid mission (or someother where gangers are in sentry mode). Roll D6 as normal. If you roll 1 the fighter is dismounting himself to stretch his legs or take a leak perhaps. If you roll 2+ then just roll scatter and turn the weapon facing that direction [note] incase the weapon would look directly in wall, perhaps we could assume that the fighter it self is turned away, perhaps he is caughing. Use mounted figure for determining the line of sight. It is worth mentioning that the heavyweapon it self is rather big and it will cover some parts, thus we always assume that any target the mounted fighter is trying to see while mounted is in cover. Weapon can be mounted again if the scattering movement would bring the fighter back to basecontact with the weapon.

Autoturret x + 35+4d6

Autoturret is stationary and has same fixed price rule as stationary heavyweapon. However it cannot be mounted as it is indepentendly working piece of technology.

Autoturret has ballistic skill of 2. Autoturret has few directives how it is working. At movement phase it will do scan sweep (360 spin) and it will lock to nearest enemy target within range. If no target is available then it will go to overwatch. Owner of the weapon can choose which direction the weapon is watching.

At shooting it will always shoot the closest target (regardless of modifier) and will always use sustainable fire and minimum strength of the weapon. Player have to choose wether missilelauncher is equipted with fraq or krak missiles.

In overwatch it will always shoot the first target it see, but the computing skill of MK377 is enough to estimate the movement of its target and will start shooting at the time it has best chance of hitting.

If autoturret is in sentry mode we assume that the defending gang has putted in powersave mode. Use scatter dice to determine which direction the turret is watching and it will do sweep. This sweep has range of 12+2d6 and follows similar spotting rules as normal fighter uses. However after the sweep the turret goes offline and it cannot detect movement during opponents turn. After alarm is set (either by turret, fighter or alarmsystem) at the next shooting phase the turret comes online and it cannot shoot. We assume that it takes time to load the weapons and come to online. If opponent manages to deactive the turret while it is in sentry mode it grants extra +5 experience to the fighter. Sentry defenders cannot reactivate the turret and doesn't realize it has gone off.

Autoturret may shoot its opponent even if that is engaged in closecombat, however we assume that the fighter in nearby has ability to evade the shots from turret, thus he is considered to be in soft cover.

Mobile Autoturret - cost x + 40 + 5d6

This is otherwise exactly the same as autoturret, but it can move. If mobile autoturret doesn't have any targets, its owner may either put it on overwatch or move it up to 4 inches. It can also climb for 1 inch.

In sentry mode its owner may either do the sweep as descibed above or move it (without scatter) However the while the autoturret is at powersafe mode it cannot detect any opponents if its moving.

Loriel

Gang Hero
Nov 27, 2013
Kangasala, Finland
First campaing turn offensive moves were made.

luckily no one ended up in combat. remember that these moves are secret to each player.

I want to share some arbitrator information with these spoilers. Sectors E3, D3 and C3 were ruined domes with loot so extra 10 credits for 99 problems, chainsword sparks and pacemakers

All the players had same rating, so because Slay Belles had trade post on their control they got the trader first and for the rest I rolled the order. atm no player hasn't submitted their trade actions ;)

Reactions: trollmeat and spafe

Loriel

Gang Hero
Nov 27, 2013
Kangasala, Finland
- Slay Belles: 1 red-dot laser sight, 2 x lasguns and juve
- Chainsword: Sparks. 3 x autoguns, laspitol, 2 x hand flamer, juve
- Immortals: 2 x frag grenade
- Pacemakers: 2 x juve, 3 x sword 2 x autopistol
- 99 problem: Power axe and flail

some of them decided to stash some items for future uses.

turn2_start.jpg

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
This is a quality campaign log, and a proper example of how to run a map based campaign. Cant wait for the action to kick off!

Loriel

Gang Hero
Nov 27, 2013
Kangasala, Finland
@spafe thanks for the compliment. Lets hope now we get some action going on! Offensive moves declared

turn2_off.jpg

Chainsword Sparks Pillaged sector C2 without any resistance as all the Slay Belles fought their way to Archeotech Dome.

Both Pacemakers and 99 Problems tried to take control of sector E2. After the battle winner get to choose what territory this particular sector holds!

Loriel

Gang Hero
Nov 27, 2013
Kangasala, Finland
Pacemakers (@Marsupilami ) won 99 problem (@helkku). I will make a small battle report out of the first match

after the turn 2 fights the map looks like this:

Pacemakers managed to bottle out 99 problems after turn 3. Only one serious injury was made and it was full recovery. Marsupilami decided that the bountifull sector is going to be Pit Arena and he immediately sended Jack Colton in the arena. Jack was injured in arena but survived with partial deafened. Due the experience his leadership increased and caused the modified top dog rule to trigger and Jack ousted the current leader. Due this particular feat Jack is known as "The Pusher"

turn2_end_of_fight.jpg

turn2_trade.jpg

Slay belles knows the true identy of the beast and it is Genestealer. Other only will know dark rumours about the stuff.

Loriel

Gang Hero
Nov 27, 2013
Kangasala, Finland
Firstly I have to say that I wasn't watching the game so this batrep not really accurate. But still better than nothing. If the players want to make some changes to it I will update it

UTD001.jpg

Loriel

Gang Hero
Nov 27, 2013
Kangasala, Finland
Turn 3 Offensive movements are revealed.

Slaybelles and Pacemakers both send only 1 fighter to scavenge, so they are going to be fighting in scavenger scenario. Settlement was actually bountifull sector which granted 30 credits to occupier and 99 Problems chose settlement as free gift.

Loriel

Gang Hero
Nov 27, 2013
Kangasala, Finland
@JoeOfDoom That is actually one thing that I just have learned wrong (many many years ago) and have hard time correcting the mistake. Prolly should do spelling checks anyway.

@Gorkamunda I tried to do alot of stuff, but failed. perhaps @Malo figures a way to do it ;)

Unfortunately not Slay Belles nor Pacemakers took a single picture of the battle. Allthough it wasn't too epic as it was only 1 vs 1. In short a monster roll first jammed Slay Belles Christinas weapon and after couple turns the monster took christina totally away, hence the rumour about "the Bride of the beast!"

Walter Reed a juve in Pacemakers received 12 experience. His weaponskill increased and he gainged rapid fire (autopistol). Walthers loot from the scavenge was 35. Subsequently Michael ventured in to pit arena and was baddly beaten in there. Michael received old battle wound.

[note] on retrospective the way I implemented Scavenge rules are rather badly written. There should be some sort of relation between the number of gangers going in scavenge and total ammount of loot, OR there should be like minimum of 3 models to go scavenge. Well I think it is too late to change the rule now as we have allready started the campaign.

Trade sequence is here

Hired gun Bill "Boleshaug" will be ruled that every player will place a hidden fee for Bill and he will join the best offer. If there is a tie the higher gang rating will take precedence. In subsequent turns his fee will be raised to that previous turn best offer.

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Loving the way this campaign is progressing. Gives it a huge sense of depth that most campaigns don't really cover. Kudos for the work micro managing this!

Loriel

Gang Hero
Nov 27, 2013
Kangasala, Finland
@spafe thanks for kind words!

- Slaybelles offered 10 credit for Boleshaug and got the deal. Boleshaug is 50 experienced juve, with +2 WS, +1W +1LD, sprint and true grit. Additionally he wears sword, frag grenades and special Boleshaugs Flamer that is hand flamer with 4+ ammoroll
- Pacemakers bough isotropic fuel rod, steel cage, 2 x swords man stopper shells and special information about the beast. Additionally he used fuel rod and steel cage immediately on his territories.
- Chainsword Sparsk bough Flak armor and information about the beast
- The immortals bought telescopic sight
- 99 problems didn't do any actions.

Special information about the beast means that both Chainsword sparks and pacemaker can do special action following turns and try to hunt the beast down. This doesn't consume usual offensive action but fighters chosen to hunt the beast will not be available for regular offensive / defensive actions.

For each fighter chosen to hunt the beast Roll D6. If a six is rolled by any of the dices the beast is encountered. Roll 2d6 + number of fighters + total number of levels. On score

6 or less: all the fighters will perish
7 -9 : one randomly determinet fighter will die
10 - 12 : beast eludes
13+ beast dies. Randomly determine which fighter did the last wound and he will be granted extra experience and a title

If the beast is encountered all surviving models will receive normal 1D6 experience.

Reactions: spafe and trollmeat

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
On the beast roll, 2d6 I get, number of fighters hunting I get, but what is total number of levels?

Also, that hired gun is dirt! does his cost stay at 10 creds? and can other gangs make offers to try and tempt him away?

Another great update! looking forward to seeing how this turn pans out

Reactions: trollmeat

Loriel

Gang Hero
Nov 27, 2013
Kangasala, Finland
@spafe
perhaps I should have written it number of advances gangers have. Yeah, he is available to all for the price he was last spend. As slay belles were only one to make the offer it will stay on 10 for next time.

Reactions: spafe