Update Underhive Tools Development

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
It's arguable that the PDF didn't remove the CGC gear. After all, the Trading Post appendix in the Book of Ruin still exists.
That said, it also says in said appendix that it's an addition for Dominion campaigns and for the list presented in GotU. There are a few different ways to read things if someone wanted to be awkward.

Would you also say that the extra gear in the Book of Peril isn't accessable any more? Because I'm sure that wasn't the intention.

That’s a good point and I think it’s one of those things that gets thrown into the “arbitrators decision” pile (which is a pain).

My thoughts are that unless you are playing in a campaign that has agreed to use those supplements then they shouldn’t be part of the campaign you are playing.

It flies in the face of running an old school perpetual campaign but it does have the benefit of keeping most of the more egregious weapon profiles and costs from taking hold of the campaign.

It also somewhat aligns with the choice of campaign you are playing and the territories /rackets / base upgrades your gang can get during the campaign and any associated special rules.

If you want the bit of the trading post from Book of Peril then you should also be playing with the special battlefield rules from the same book (most of them only have an effect if you do). Likewise if you want the trading post nits from Book of Ruin you should really be using all the extra rules in the book and be playing a Damnation campaign.

Zadgrub

Ganger
Tribe Council
Mar 7, 2018
Des Plaines, IL, USA
That’s a good point and I think it’s one of those things that gets thrown into the “arbitrators decision” pile (which is a pain).

My thoughts are that unless you are playing in a campaign that has agreed to use those supplements then they shouldn’t be part of the campaign you are playing.

It flies in the face of running an old school perpetual campaign but it does have the benefit of keeping most of the more egregious weapon profiles and costs from taking hold of the campaign.

It also somewhat aligns with the choice of campaign you are playing and the territories /rackets / base upgrades your gang can get during the campaign and any associated special rules.

If you want the bit of the trading post from Book of Peril then you should also be playing with the special battlefield rules from the same book (most of them only have an effect if you do). Likewise if you want the trading post nits from Book of Ruin you should really be using all the extra rules in the book and be playing a Damnation campaign.
I think you're overthinking it; those additions to the Trading Post were made as those books came out, but the only reason they're not in the current Trading Post document is because they're already presented in those other, current books; the new list doesn't remove or invalidate them. The PDF & Book of the Outlands Trading Post lists are not intended to be fully comprehensive Trading Post lists; they're intended to replace the list in Gangs of the Underhive. True, the Book of Peril items are delineated as the Badzones Trading Post, but the "Badzones Trading Post" is never referenced as a separate thing in any other rules. While it's true that some of them will only have an effect with Badzones Environments & Effects, many of them are just additional items that aren't specifically linked to any Badzones Environments & Effects. I don't think the intention is that any of the lists in other books *only* be available to gangs that are using the rules in the associated books, I think they're intended to be available to anyone, at the discretion of the Arbitrator, of course. I also don't think it's valid to restrict items from lists in some books just because you're not playing that particular campaign, or using those specific rules; for instance, Enforcers can be a gang in any campaign, and they come with Magnicles, which only have rules in Book of Judgement, so are you saying they should only be able to use their Magnicles in law & Misrule campaigns?

But there's no way to tell the different lists apart in Yaktribe, in any case; you would need to reference the individual books in order to tell where any particular item came from. But is it better to have them all lumped together here, or have them separated into separate lists? The conflict there is between convenience and accuracy . . .

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
I would agree most with the above. Stuff is spread out all over and there's generally no rule restricting to use anything from anywhere. That's how I always treat it.

On the other hand, between the lines, let's say "unofficially", there is a sense that GW makes this game in seasons. Which means that if you play in 2019, you buy the new stuff and use all those perils and crazy black market weapons and whatnot. However, if you play now in 2022, you use the current stuff and any old content previous years almost doesn't exist. And certainly will not be perfectly compatible with Ash Wastes. And in one sense I can't blame them. They're making a game of rolling seasons, and don't want to make sure everything from everywhere works perfectly together. The dirty side of this is that GW never defines these "seasons". It's all something one have to either ignore or guess.

Warhammer Underworlds is a good example in my opinion on how rolling seasons can be implemented. The game clearly defines what old content is usable/compatible and what is abandoned. I can easily imagine some part of this is intended for Necromnda as well, but never expressed anywhere.

Reactions: trollmeat

GraaEminense

Four-armed Emperor
Jan 12, 2015
Bergen, Norway
Go to Underhive tools,
then Customise,
and then Custom Skills
and hit the blue + button to add a new skill.

Type in a Skill Name,
but leave the Category as Custom (it will be easier to find when you go to add the power to the fighter).
Then hit +Add

Don’t bother changing anything else or adding a description.
So I've tried the above but can't find the new wyrd power skill when trying to add it. Am I still being dense, or does it take a certain time to update, or...?

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
So I've tried the above but can't find the new wyrd power skill when trying to add it. Am I still being dense, or does it take a certain time to update, or...?
You should only need to refresh the page with the ganger once, but unless you put in a skill set that the fighter has access to then you will need to turn Off Restrict Skills, in the settings (three bars on right to open the menu, settings, toggle restrict skills).

Then it will be a case of scrolling through all the skills to add it in.

Zadgrub

Ganger
Tribe Council
Mar 7, 2018
Des Plaines, IL, USA
I would agree most with the above. Stuff is spread out all over and there's generally no rule restricting to use anything from anywhere. That's how I always treat it.

On the other hand, between the lines, let's say "unofficially", there is a sense that GW makes this game in seasons. Which means that if you play in 2019, you buy the new stuff and use all those perils and crazy black market weapons and whatnot. However, if you play now in 2022, you use the current stuff and any old content previous years almost doesn't exist. And certainly will not be perfectly compatible with Ash Wastes. And in one sense I can't blame them. They're making a game of rolling seasons, and don't want to make sure everything from everywhere works perfectly together. The dirty side of this is that GW never defines these "seasons". It's all something one have to either ignore or guess.

Warhammer Underworlds is a good example in my opinion on how rolling seasons can be implemented. The game clearly defines what old content is usable/compatible and what is abandoned. I can easily imagine some part of this is intended for Necromnda as well, but never expressed anywhere.

I disagree that there's any intention at all of Necromunda books having any kind of "seasons," officially, unofficially, or otherwise. The game evolves as new expansions are released, but they're certainly not making Necromunda a game of "rolling Seasons" like Underworlds. Underworlds is a deliberately competitive, tournament-level game, while Necromunda is a role-playing game. Underworlds is equivalent to Magic: the Gathering, while Necromunda is equivalent to D&D. All of the currently available books are completely valid, and are all updated regularly in the FAQ. Whenever any books do become obsolete for any reason (Gang War 1-4; Gangs of the Underhive), they are removed from the FAQ, and plainly said to be obsolete (see GotU listing in the most current FAQ).

Reactions: BearsWillEatYou

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
All cards and warbands from Shadespire (season 1) are usable today. Nothing is obsolete except if you follow a very short official list of 3-4 cards that are banned and not intended to be used ever.

WU has far better rules for casual friendly games than Necromunda when I play with friends. I've only played WU in a casual friendly format, never competitive or tournament.

I don't see how Necromunda is more role-playing than games like Blood Bowl, Mordheim or GorkaMorka? I have never played any role playing games so excuse me for my ignorance.

It's easy to say now, months and years later, that stuff is officially obsolete. For the longest time GW never publically said anything was obsolete. It was something we could figure out easily, as GotU was obviously a replacement for Gang War 1-4 and "House of" books are obviously replacements for GotU. The FAQ you're referring to only said GotU was obsolete at the 2nd attempt, after including the Caryatid (which was the last remaining content that needed to be reprinted in order to make GotU completely obsolete).

When I say Necromunda is reminiscent of seasons equivalent to WU, I don't mean that literally. WU got well defined structure, we know what a season is, what's included, and we know in advance when stuff is being rotated. For Necromunda, almost nothing is defined. Regardless of what we think, the fact is that after almost 6 years, more and more new people are playing it as a season game. New players will start with what's available and show-cased today. Buying stuff like Ash Wastes, the "current season", and/or "House of" books, the "previous season". They're not going to invest in old stuff like "Book of" from 2019. It seems like new players want the new stuff show-cased by GW, old content lose interest and might not even be available anymore.

This is quite obvious to me when looking at the most recent content for example, the "underdog scenarios" released in White Dwarf (May 2022). It's 3 new scenarios with the same stuff we've seen countless times before. Grab loot and escape, make actions next to objectives and assassinate an enemy fighter. This is new seasonal content for new players. Old players have played similar stuff for years already (there are over 100 scenarios after all). Same with all the "new" tactics cards. If you have 300 cards already, the next 18 cards will add nothing new and be virtually worthless. The only way "new" content has value is if you rotate the old stuff you already got.

Reactions: cz_Samuel

GraaEminense

Four-armed Emperor
Jan 12, 2015
Bergen, Norway
You should only need to refresh the page with the ganger once, but unless you put in a skill set that the fighter has access to then you will need to turn Off Restrict Skills, in the settings (three bars on right to open the menu, settings, toggle restrict skills).

Then it will be a case of scrolling through all the skills to add it in.
Unrestrict skills solved it! Thanks.

Hawkins44

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
While full implementation of the Outcast gang is improbable, is it possible to add the psychic powers to the tool builder? There is quite a bit of them, i know, but it will be very helpful, especially when you can take them instead of the original psychic powers mentioned in other books.

FYeahAmerica

Mar 2, 2018
Florida, USA
Sorry, forgot to make my answer a reply, so just to be sure you've seen it here it is again:

*All* pets cost zero credits to add to your roster; that's because they're not recruited like other fighters. Pets are Wargear, so you have to purchase them as Wargear for the fighter you want to give them to, just like any other equipment (the Hardcase Cyber-mastiff for Enforcers is found in the Trading Post under Status Items). Then once you've purchased them, you use the "Add Hired Guns/Pets" button to add their fighter card to your roster.
Except the HCCM is not listed under the wargear drop down, so you can not purchase it.

WaaaghZag

Mar 26, 2020
Havant
www.instagram.com
Except the HCCM is not listed under the wargear drop down, so you can not purchase it.

the Hardcase Cyber-mastiff for Enforcers is found in the Trading Post under Status Items

Instructions below:

Step 1 - open trading post
Screenshot-2022-06-27-211434.png

Step 2 - buy HCCM found under status items
Screenshot-2022-06-27-211606.png

Step 3 - prompt to confirm the fighter has been added
Screenshot-2022-06-27-211825.png

Step 4 - access the stash
Screenshot-2022-06-27-212013.png

Step 5 - edit the stash
Screenshot-2022-06-27-212109.png

Step 6 - transfer the HCCM to chosen fighter
Screenshot-2022-06-27-212155.png

Step 7 - HCCM is on the fighter's card and also has it's own card in the gang list.
Screenshot-2022-06-27-212306.png

Screenshot-2022-06-27-212321.png

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
Instructions below:

Step 1 - open trading post
View attachment 156494

Step 2 - buy HCCM found under status items
View attachment 156495

Step 3 - prompt to confirm the fighter has been added
View attachment 156496

Step 4 - access the stash
View attachment 156497

Step 5 - edit the stash
View attachment 156498

Step 6 - transfer the HCCM to chosen fighter
View attachment 156499

Step 7 - HCCM is on the fighter's card and also has it's own card in the gang list.
View attachment 156500
View attachment 156501
Cool. Did not know this as most pets can just be added as equipment for the cost, and then the profiled added via “add hired guns/pets” drop down. Strange that this one os different.

Thanks.

Reactions: WaaaghZag

psycho_laughs

Mar 8, 2014
My club is currently running an outcast campaign, and I just noticed a settlement structure is missing from the available options.

I looked to make a custom version to fill in, but while Settlements are an option, Structures are not in the customize tool.
The Scrap Marker, which is a requirement for the Black Market, is missing.

Reactions: cz_Samuel

cz_Samuel

Juve
Dec 3, 2019
My club is currently running an outcast campaign, and I just noticed a settlement structure is missing from the available options.

I looked to make a custom version to fill in, but while Settlements are an option, Structures are not in the customize tool.
The Scrap Marker, which is a requirement for the Black Market, is missing.
also drinking hall, afaik
and scenarios in battle reports, but it is not an issue, because you can write down type of scenario manualy