Underhives & Trolls - A BOYL Event

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Pandemics & Trolls!
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Underhives & Trolls is a RPG game to be played with a mash up of Dark Heresy and NCE rules at a future BOYL event (or other location depending on the boring real world!)

The Game Board;

The game will be played on my Sump City and Trollholme boards;

Sump City will also have a full NPC population see here;

Arbitrator;

@ClockworkOrange

Four Players;

@CaptainDangerous
@undertaker
@MusingWarboss
@MancInventor

Location;

Hopefully a BOYL but maybe another location TBA

Introduction;

Inquisitor Marrik has recruited hundreds of acolytes to investigate reports of strange events deep in the hive. The Inquisitors pockets are deep and his thirst for knowledge great. You have only communicated with him via Intermediaries, as far as the great Inquisitor is concerned you are disposable, insignificant, just one of the many cheap hive scum recruited to his cause. Randomly thrown into teams with no apparent thought to their composition or suitability to work together.

You are a member of one such of party sent as deep into the hive as you can possibly go, to the Sump.

You have no idea what strange events have happened just that you must report back to the Inquisitor when you see them, you don’t really care the credits are good. If you need motivation, know that the Inquisitor or his minions will find you should you deviate from his chosen path and the response will not be swift or pleasant.

You first travelled to one of the great cable hubs linked to the hive core, but not one of the great cable lifts to Sump City was working for unknown reasons, the cars stopped at the other end. With no alternative your party has worked it’s way down the hive core, the great green radioactive glow of the Sump Sea forever at your feet. The journey took weeks, and you have already faced many perils, securing passage on the laughable and highly unsafe Sump Sea fishing skiff you’ve called home for the last few days is a story in itself, but we join the party now as the skiff approaches the Sump City Docks......

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
What I need from the players?

@CaptainDangerous
@undertaker
@MusingWarboss
@MancInventor

I need you to make and paint a character and create their back story. If we get this done early I can tie this into the “story” I create. The character needs to be a Hive Scum or similar. Please post your creations below.

To give you an idea I’m going to be running this game with my D&D group and I’ve created the following characters (because they are lazy bastards and i have proxy models for the below).

Alosus Miller

A tall, blonde, hive-weary bounty hunter originating from somewhere mid Hive, spent years working for one of the many private hive “security“ firms, and as such saw the worst of what humanity has to offer before being drummed out for alcoholism and insubordination. Instantly recognisable due to his poor taste in hats.

“Priest”

Truly believes in the Omnipresence of the God Emperor, and therefore sees Inquistor Marrik as the literal hand of god. Insanely loyal and mission focussed, devotes all his time and credits to making his body the “Emperors Weapon” the rest of the party think he’s a bit of a dick.

Uts Wrong

A light fingered, deformed, notoriously lazy, overweight Ratskin Scout addicted to game simulations. Infrequently seen without a bottle of WildSnake. When sober a skilled tracker and thief.

The Butcher

An ex Imperial Guard medic come hive doctor, once renowned from Spire to Sump as being able to bring anyone back from the brink of death. Rumour has it that he even operated on the much feared Orlock leader “Alonso” after he was crushed by a hive quake. However one too many botched Goliath enhancement operations led to him being hunted by that House and ultimately due to their influence being shut down by the Imperial authorities. He now plies his trade in the lawless deepest depths of the hive where even the Emperors long reach struggles.

undertaker

Gang Hero
Oct 21, 2016
Nottingham
“Priest”

Truly believes in the Omnipresence of the God Emperor, and therefore sees Inquistor Marrik as the literal hand of god. Insanely loyal and mission focussed, devotes all his time and credits to making his body the “Emperors Weapon” the rest of the party think he’s a bit of a dick.

The rigid adherence to dogma. Generally being dispised by the rest of the party. For some reason this character calls to me. I wonder if Priest would look good in grey? 🤔

CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
I Don’t believe iv ever been shanghaied into a game before! (But must admit, I rather like it) 😄😄😅

As a proposition, how about we meet on the original date (Saturday 1st of August), but maybe host it at the Old Reliable Long Eaton Venue!?
We would like only need one half of the room, With the added bonus that I can stay the night if we run into overtime!

But I think it only right that I play the part of a Captain Clone!
But which one to choose?:
No.5-Leader of the clones and managing director of the Trl-Bru refinery
No.6- The most musical clone, hates wannabe poser Goliaths, and is the front clone for C-rap Band ‘Do KnotSlip’
No.7- Horribly disfigured by an overcharged Plasma cannon, is the most recluse of clones and manages the Mankfester Waste Centre.
No.9- explorer and adventurer, left hive Primus to participate in the Wasteland Albino Stallion Grand Prix.
No.10- most slovenly of clones, literally slept with the enemy, and is widely distrusted/disliked by the rest of the clones. Is currently Heartbroken and watching anime In a dark room full of take away debris.

CaptainDangerous

Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk

Reactions: undertaker

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
@CaptainDangerous this August is too soon to have everything ready (I’ve got 15ish NPC’s to paint and stories to write) but I’m not opposed to us finding a meeting room / hotel somewhere to do it later in the year?

Somewhere on the A1 is probably best for everyone in terms of location I think @MancInventor is Peterborough way. Myself and @undertaker are Nottingham and not sure about @MusingWarboss?

CaptainDangerous

Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
So..... Newark Showground in September then? 😄

will we need to make a character sheet or is the backstory/flavour text enough?

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
@CaptainDangerous Dunno if I’ll be ready for Sept for the RPG game but I can try. It’s painting the models that will take me a couple of months and the Troll needs a hobby break after the harbour is finished + I’ve promised my nephew I’ll build him a 3x3 frostgrave board.

Back story is good enough for now if you want to pick a Clone - if you make a model / have a picture I can then develop the story around what you make.

I think this will be awesome by the way, we can have all the characters involved that have developed over the years.

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

undertaker

Gang Hero
Oct 21, 2016
Nottingham
Do we need to, like, read the Dark Heresy rules or something to make the characters? As much as I love rules, for a one-off game I'm totally fine with just winging it. I say what my character wants to do and someone who knows the rules tells me what I need to roll sort of fashion. :D

RonBSM

The Upside Down Troll
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
On that note- anyone with a desire for RPG (Dark Heresy...) Direct message me your number.

Trust me.

Last edited by a moderator:

undertaker

Gang Hero
Oct 21, 2016
Nottingham
Erm I think @undertaker has been hacked, however I for one welcome this new chilled out doppelgänger!
I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me.
What I'd meant to say was, I love rules so much, rules govern my life and all around it. Rules rule dude! 🤘
Rules rules rules, points balance, rules rules, gameplay. Rules rule rules? Rules, playtesting, rules.

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Noooo don’t give the Grey One the rules!!! That’s this thing ruined then, he’ll suck all the fun out of it!

I think I’ve got all the files from the Humble Bundle deal as well, doesn’t mean I’d give them to.....him!

• Haha
Reactions: undertaker