Underworld or Goblins?

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I'm thinking that I could do with a new BB team, in particular a 'handicap' team that I could use when playing my girlfriend. I'm thinking either Goblins or Underworld. I have some experience playing against both, and know a bit about how they play on paper, but which is more fun?

(I realise that both teams start involve a bunch of Goblins, so there's a fair chance that whichever I do first might be expanded to the latter in time too.)

DArquebus

Ganger
Aug 7, 2012
Sydney, Oz
Underworld play more like a regular team just a slightly fragile one. They are probably better to play rookies with in terms of learning how to beat normal teams. And they tend to be punching bags so 'fun' for opponents to beat you up, even if you scarper in for a cheeky win.

Goblins can be lethal if played right, but also tend to play unlike 'normal' other teams. Weapons, Stalling, Fouling, Carnage inflicted on the opponent are all part of the successful Goblin play book. You can NOT do those things, but I find they tend to be fairly limp if you don't. And it can be a NPE (negative play experience) fora rookie opponent perhaps. They can also be less fun for you as they cannot compete for periods of the game once the attrition kicks in and weapons are sent off etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love Goblins and playing with them, but they are a more difficult proposition in a "GF gaming experience" methinks. And Mutations (Underworld) can be hellishly good fun as well. I'd recommend starting with UW at least and taking it from there.

CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
I think play goblins, but only ever use one special at any one time! That way she still has the advantage, but you get to experience the different qualities of the specials without being too ‘powerful’!
If it is just that you are wanting to collect a goblin team, then fair enough, but if you are wanting a more balanced challenge, and don’t mind which team, perhaps use a team of pure human linesmen, no pros or cons!

Reactions: Ben_S

Fold

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Oct 26, 2013
London E2
fromthewastes.com
Goblins are certainly more fun, IMO.

Underworld while a lower power team tends to be more lethal and more serious. Their skill sets and mutations allow killer players and Uber ball retrievers to be built. Goblins on the other hand are the deliberately comical team. They can still be lethal but everyone has fun watching a goblin team fowling and the troll eating its own players.

Obviously it does depend how you choose to play them but Underworld does encourage you to be more cutthroat, I think.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
Underworld are really nasty once the league gets going. A few goblins with 2 heads and the team becomes pretty bonkers, able to score from anywhere. They can also get some great star players if they have a low TV. In our last season, they were the only team my Chaos team lost against.

Gobbos are super fun with the secret weapons and can also be pretty deadly. They are my personal favourite of the two options.

DArquebus

Ganger
Aug 7, 2012
Sydney, Oz
I would disagree, if only because it is a choice to make Underworld Killers... they can take other non-lethal skills and just be an easy to beat up team of dodgey sods...

Goblins are lethal by design. That is, it is very hard to play them as softer and cuddlier and not just get rolled as you can't really be non-lethal with them and compete much at all... they are of course hellishly good fun but so can Underworld be with the right wacky mutations vs Claw Mighty Blow (possibly Pile On) blitzers etc.

Last edited:

DArquebus

Ganger
Aug 7, 2012
Sydney, Oz
Halfling are monstrous if you play them right ;)

Trees belt everything in sight, Zara (or Klara) running about punching face and being a sweeper... and Flings fouling anyone who survives the other guys hits... :p

Reactions: Aulenback and Ben_S

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Could I interest sir in a snotling?

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
halflings like all gangs have their pros and cons
Just 'cause they're wearing prison stripes doesn't prove they're cons. They were just watchin' that ball for somebody else, see? Anyway, the pies wasn't stolen, they was PUBLIC, just sittin' out on that windowsill fer anybody!

Could I interest sir in a snotling?
Yessir, and a Necromantic Horror or thirteen, too. Looking forward to see how folks fit those to BlitzBowl.