N18 Using "Take Cover"

JawRippa

Gang Hero
Mar 31, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
I've read this article on Goonhammer and it got me thinking. Am I using "Take Cover" action wrong, or does the article overvalue it too much?

I don't get the point of "Take Cover" action as a mainstay tactic. It has its uses, but they are a lot more niche in my opinion.
What is the point of taking cover, when your activating fighter can only shoot without aiming, drastically reducing your chances of actually hitting? Meanwhile whoever stood still will aim+shoot back at you with a considerably higher chance of success (in D6 system a +1 is a huge difference). Also the article drastically underplays just how slow your fighters become if you are doing "Take Cover" while advancing. Since you stand up right where you were lying on the ground, you'll have just your M" to get to a new piece of cover - and this won't be the case unless your board is really heavily stacked with terrain or is 2D ZM, thus the best course of action becomes to stay where you were, but inch towards the very edge of cover (a very small benefit). So you'd better off just double moving everything, everytime.

The only use for "Take Cover" is to keep staggered fighters safe from non-blast shooting, while the rest of the team catches up. Or to keep some valuable target untargetable from shooting throughout the whole game. But even then any decent blast template will ruin your day.

P.S. Oh, and RAW your fighters might fall down when they take cover near building's windows.

JawRippa

Gang Hero
Mar 31, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
The spring up shoot take cover nonsense that Escher gangs are so fond of can be deadly.
Tzeentch blessed cult's can have one member blind firing with no modifiers per round.
Yikes, I never thought about that usage of Tzeentch. That is just nasty. The point still stands, "take cover" is a very niche action, that is really hard to use as a part of general strategy. It can be really nasty with things which unpin your fighters or give them an extra action or activation (again, to unpin themselves), but those are not common.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Take cover is good for template weapons, can also blind fire and ignore penalties. A theoretic case is, if you are sure to be charged, but don't know from which angle, you can take cover to avoid being attacked in the back. Prevents backstab and you can make reaction attack without penalty for changing facing.

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
It’s not the greatest thing since sliced bread but it does have its uses, especially against gangs that have overwhelming firepower without blasts.

To use it though you have to slow your game right down and a lot of people can’t break out of the mindset that they muse engage the enemy as fast as possible.

The offset is that I can make my fighters prone (and immune to shooting) and move forwards slowly or I can try to make use of cover for the -1 or -2 to hit modifier and move forwards twice as fast.

If you are looking at and thinking that you always need to double move to get from soft cover to soft cover it could be that you don’t have enough terrain in the board.

If you end up with a fighter with a good gun in a good position with light cover it could be best to place them prone until a good target pops up then stand them up and shoot. Then the next turn you can activate them early shoot and then go prone again.

If you have close combat gangers that are just a little bit too far from charge range you can place them prone in cover and prevent any enemy fighters from shooting them. You still can’t charge them next turn (without a skill or a tactic card) but you likely wouldn’t be able to anyway if you just ran your guy out into the open for a charge next round as he would be shot and pinned best case or seriously injured and waiting to die or just dead.

Reactions: TopsyKretts

JawRippa

Gang Hero
Mar 31, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
If you have close combat gangers that are just a little bit too far from charge range you can place them prone in cover and prevent any enemy fighters from shooting them. You still can’t charge them next turn (without a skill or a tactic card) but you likely wouldn’t be able to anyway if you just ran your guy out into the open for a charge next round as he would be shot and pinned best case or seriously injured and waiting to die or just dead.
I get this line of thought, but wouldn't you end up in the same bad spot anyway, since standing up and moving will probably end your fighter in the unfavorable position ? Worse even, enemy gets time to reposition their fighters to put more distance between your hiding melee fighter and themselves. I guess take cover on melee fighters could be used to deny areas of the battlefield with untargetable melee "mines", but since fighters can't usually charge from pinned state, you'll probably give an enemy time to shoot at you anyway.

Last edited:

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
@JawRippa the intention of hiding with combat people is to protect them until you can get close enough to charge. Actually getting close enough to charge though is really hard and you are right at some point you are going to have to move out into the open and hope they miss this turn and you get priority so you can charge next turn.

If you’re fighter is moving up to a piece of cover where they can’t cover the distance in a single charge from cover to the enemy then your options are
1/ move to cover and go prone. The enemy can’t shoot you. Your fighter is safe.
2/ move to cover and shoot your pistol at the enemy (likely at long range and in soft or hard cover) and hope you hit. unless you seriously injure the enemy or take them OOA they can then shoot you back (likely at short range and either aiming at you or moving away afterwards) and likely end up pinned, SI’d or OOA’d. Best case you end up standing up in cover unharmed and still out of charge distance, waiting for the next enemy fighter to try and shoot you.
3/ move to cover, then move out into the open and hope you don’t get hit so you can charge next turn. In this option not only are you more likely to get shot and pinned, but the enemy can also then continue to shoot your pinned model lying on the ground in the open.

So you are right that your fighter is still unable to charge, but the reality is that in that instance they were unlikely to be able to charge anyway and their best tactical use is either to stay put and be area denial or to try and manoeuvre around a different way.

This changes if you have access to skills, equipment or tactic cards that give you extra actions or increased charge range in which case you might want to keep him standing and take that pistol shot instead of removing any chance of making the charge.

It also changes a bit if the cover you are moving to is actually within charge range as then you do want to stay standing up so you can charge next turn.

Dedicated shooters can also make use of taking cover if they have a decent ballistic skill or hit chance. For those fighters you move to position and shoot the first turn, then second turn you shoot then take cover, third turn stand and shoot, fourth turn shoot and take cover, and so on. If your fighter is only getting shot every second turn it should drastically reduce the amount of hits they take and thus reduce the number of injuries.

Reactions: Galtarr

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
Also staggering fighters. So some shoot from cover whilst others duck for cover, as they move into better positions. If you have numbers and are activating last you can stand up and advance next turn duck early on, following turn

Whilst I've seen Duck and cover used sporadically as an accepted tactic. I've never seen whole gangs use it at a time. So usually you have some fighters performing a gun line for support while others move up into position. Using duck and cover as required depending on terrain and if there are particularly potent snipers about. Generally only if following turn you know you can gain harder cover for advance be it entering a building to access higher levels, or maybe you've reached your objective marker/Injured leader who needs assistance. I.e. there's usually a payoff for getting into position where otherwise shooting from cover is your default option.

As I play Cawdor they have a tactic card called blessed visions that allows them to use their normal bf when blind firing for the entire game. I have to say this is godly in some situations. I have a firebase with some gangers with autoguns, longrifle or crossbow and they lie in cover and try to pin and kill the enemy meanwhile my shortrange/flamer/melee brethren try to advance out of sight.
This can be really frustrating for the enemy as there is not much he can do if he has no or few blast weapons and often forces him to move. The only downside is that you can't aim but being untargetable is better. Works really well against shooty gangs and fucked up many plans.

Last edited:

Ironside83

Ganger
Feb 8, 2018
Australia
It’s not the greatest thing since sliced bread but it does have its uses, especially against gangs that have overwhelming firepower without blasts.

To use it though you have to slow your game right down and a lot of people can’t break out of the mindset that they muse engage the enemy as fast as possible.

The offset is that I can make my fighters prone (and immune to shooting) and move forwards slowly or I can try to make use of cover for the -1 or -2 to hit modifier and move forwards twice as fast.

If you are looking at and thinking that you always need to double move to get from soft cover to soft cover it could be that you don’t have enough terrain in the board.

If you end up with a fighter with a good gun in a good position with light cover it could be best to place them prone until a good target pops up then stand them up and shoot. Then the next turn you can activate them early shoot and then go prone again.

With the new Escher tactics card allowing you to roll to prematurely terminate the fight, I can see some utility in delaying contact and drawing out a game to more, faster rounds.