Van Saar Players that have gotten in a game...

KA7777

Ganger
Jan 19, 2018
Canada
What are the stats of the new melee weapons? The power knife and the two shock weapons?

With 1 attack base and 4" move I don't think melee champions are viable anymore. It's sad. My strongest ganger in the legacy list was a champ with a power sword and plasma pistol.

I don't love these rules. The gang looks quite strong, but boring-- the BS up for movement down trade + cheap lasguns + armoured long johns kind of makes them a lame gunline gang.

Ideal build seems like combi-plasmaguns with fast shot, and las spam for the troopers. I'll need to wait for a good look at the armoury before I get a sense of whether one of the heavy weapons is worth bringing (and it might end up being a heavy bolter or heavy stubber over the actual van saar ones)

My preorder won't be here till midweek. I long for the days when GW would ship their new releases EARLY, so you'd actually have a chance of getting them by release days (or even before!). Now they don't even ship until after the release date. :mad: Most of the Van Saar stuff leaked in pic form, but the weapon/armoury stuff is still absent.

strateger

Juve
Mar 21, 2018
France
Las Carbine on gangers seems the only way to go (high BS+ autogun rules + plentiful).
As long las only accessible via outpost, you would rather use your credit for better weapon/mesh armor there.
Shock stave is nice option on leader +1 STR + versatile (only the cost of a las pistol), not sure its worth for other gangers.

Shawn

Ganger
Apr 11, 2017
New Cumberland PA USA
Shock Staves are 5 Creds. Absolutely no reason not to give them to everyone as a failsafe should a melee gang close the gap. I agree that i will not have any dedicated melee fighters. The combo of the long las ( 36" range, str4, with +1 from 18-36 ) combined with a las carbine ( autogun with a 10 inch short range ) gives them a plus to hit everywhere except mid range of 10-18". thats only 40 creds for both. Throw in a shock stave for close encounters at 5 creds. Currently i have 4 setup that way and my champs and leader are all toting plasma/laser combos. Armor for everyone two games in and yes.. gun line. Now for some juves to do the spook harvesting and caravan looting and i should be set.

Reactions: Ml2sjw

KA7777

Ganger
Jan 19, 2018
Canada
Shock Staves are 5 Creds. Absolutely no reason not to give them to everyone as a failsafe should a melee gang close the gap. I agree that i will not have any dedicated melee fighters. The combo of the long las ( 36" range, str4, with +1 from 18-36 ) combined with a las carbine ( autogun with a 10 inch short range ) gives them a plus to hit everywhere except mid range of 10-18". thats only 40 creds for both. Throw in a shock stave for close encounters at 5 creds. Currently i have 4 setup that way and my champs and leader are all toting plasma/laser combos. Armor for everyone two games in and yes.. gun line. Now for some juves to do the spook harvesting and caravan looting and i should be set.
Wait what are the stats of the long las?

Its R 36" and S4? Thats... insane, assuming you didnt make a typo there

Norngahl

Ganger
May 7, 2018
Essen, Deutschland
There is propably nothing as great as las carabiners. Sure, they are double the price, but they pump out shots like hell and they still reload automatically.

While Combi-Plas might be the obvious choice in points - damaged ratio, my leader will carry a plasma gun AND a las-carabiner. PLUS a shield and ceramite armour. 2+ armour possibility in CC, ability to push the enemy away and shoot him and 3+ armour as a Rock Hard sniper plasma fire base ist just way too awesome. With the Las-carabiner as a back up weapon he is well suited for every situation. Take Quick Shot as first skills to allow double tap.

Same way for the champs, minus the shield to save some points.

Las-carabiner for the rest. Die in Volumen of fire!

Sub - Las carabiners for juves.

To be honest.. I'd rather take more las-carabiner gangers than adding even more expensive support gear to the group.

KA7777

Ganger
Jan 19, 2018
Canada
I feel like im missing something

The leaked page i saw had a lasgun at 10, the carbine at 20, and the suppression laser at 40 creds

Is this "long las" one of the new items in the special weapon section?

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
I feel like im missing something

The leaked page i saw had a lasgun at 10, the carbine at 20, and the suppression laser at 40 creds

Is this "long las" one of the new items in the special weapon section?
That's the Van Saar equipment list. The Long Las is a new weapon in the Trading Post.

KA7777

Ganger
Jan 19, 2018
Canada
Ahhhhh that makes much more sense, thanks

I'm glad thats where it comes from....if it was in the gang armoury it would be a little too spammable.

Is it a common item or does it have a rarity value

KA7777

Ganger
Jan 19, 2018
Canada
I'm supposed to play a game tonight but none of us have received our book yet, and one guy stopped at a literal brick and mortar GW to pick one up and they don't even stock it. Jeez.

As I've mentioned, there are photos of the gang and weapons costs for Van Saar out in the wild. I think I have enough info to scrape through a game without breaking any rules.

Can anyone confirm that if I stick to buying lasguns, combi-plas and plasmaguns, and use the stats from GW1 and GW2 I won't be breaking any updated rules?

Would I be able to get away with paying the listed prices for carbines and suppression lasers and then using the stats for autoguns and combat shotguns? My understanding is that the Van Saar versions are slightly better, if anything. So would I be ok/not getting any unforseen advantage if I did that for one game?

Shawn

Ganger
Apr 11, 2017
New Cumberland PA USA
Las Carbine is as follows.. Range 10/24, acc +1/0, S 3, D 1, Ammo 4+, Plentiful, Rapid fire 1, so an autogun with 2 more inches of close range.

Combi plasma las is standard lasgun and low power plasma stats, with Combi and Scarce.

KA7777

Ganger
Jan 19, 2018
Canada
Thanks!

I ended up going in with a severely/deliberately under-strength gang (seven guys with lasguns); figured I'd ensure I didn't break any rules while picking up some free underdog rep. Also leaves some money in the bank in case one of the new heavy weapons speaks to me. Gosh I hope my order gets here soon...

Feb 25, 2018
Strasbourg, France
Agreed, Van Saar seems pretty strong in campaign 3D games, where shooting has an advantage, but boring, as it's not worth it for them to advance.
It's probably a different story in 2D gaming, howver

Vegeta365

Ganger
Oct 2, 2017
I played 2 games on Friday and the plasma cannon was great. 130 credits for a template weapon that takes out anything it hits is good when it’s template makes it always easy to hit. After one game I bought it suspensors for move and fire. Clearly it can’t dash shoot but it has better range, gives some variety and makes your opponent think twice about bunching models up (or seriously regret that poor choice).

The combi weapon costs are buzzard. I kind of get the plasma one because it can’t use high power but it is such a huge cost saving and the low power is amazing. But the melta one, am I missing something? It’s cheaper and gains a lasgun. It’s almost like they thought of 40k and it can only be used once but I know they haven’t overlooked that. So what I am I missing?

I’ve not seen it mentioned much, but I went with ordinary lasguns for the first 4 gangers purely based on how expensive Van Saar are. With a plasma cannon and plasma gun if you want your gang to all start with 4+ saves and have 7 models they are all you can afford! Clearly you can save credits by not having a heavy weapon and going the combi plasma route. I agree that can become very gun line and I’m not sure what your opponent will think of playing it regularly.

Even having 2 fast shot champs is very OP. I went with just one fast shot to try and minimise that.

Mar 31, 2011
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Played Caravan yesterday my Orlocks against the new Van Saar. Leader had Plasma Cannon with Suspensors and Trick Shot. Wow, this is a near broken combo; hitting on 2+ rapid fire (1) on low power (3+ if you are in full cover) and if you aren't visible at all they can up it to full power and Blast the ground next to you. I outnumbered them by an extra two fighters and ended up with 5 OOA compared to their one by the end of the game. Zone Mortalis is definitely the way to go against them.

The combi weapon costs are buzzard. I kind of get the plasma one because it can’t use high power but it is such a huge cost saving and the low power is amazing. But the melta one, am I missing something? It’s cheaper and gains a lasgun. It’s almost like they thought of 40k and it can only be used once but I know they haven’t overlooked that. So what I am I missing?
Those Combi weapons have a drawback. You have to roll 2 dice for Ammo check every time and choose the worst one. And with Scarce rule for Plasma and Melta it really increases their chances to run out of ammo.

Vegeta365

Ganger
Oct 2, 2017
Those Combi weapons have a drawback. You have to roll 2 dice for Ammo check every time and choose the worst one. And with Scarce rule for Plasma and Melta it really increases their chances to run out of ammo.
I have been playing since a week before the game was released and have not noticed that rule and not had anyone mention it. I haven’t used a combi but have had players in our group use them so clearly that rule was missed. I will have to find the quote on that to show them.

Thanks