N17 Van Saar Revealed

Discussion in 'Tribe News' started by Deleted member 9968, Mar 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. spafe

spafe Executive Officer in charge of Hats
    Staff Member Necromunda Custodian Tribe Council Yak Comp 2nd Place

I like the models... but I am struggling to reconcile the look with the dark gothic look of the hive... I do like that we have futuristic looking people at least in the 41st millennium. Will wait and see what folk can do with the kits when they get their hands on them.

ClockworkOrange, ThreeDice and Tiny like this.
  2. cardyfreak

cardyfreak Executive Officer in charge of Radishes
    Staff Member Necromunda Custodian Tribe Council Yak Supporter

I’m frothing at the gash over getting my hands on some Cawdor! Aside from the plastics that came in the box (I was Goliath), Cawdor were my first gang, and these beardy douchebags were my brothers so I have a bitter enmity towards Van Saar as we have crossed horns more than any other gang!

3. Tiny

Tiny Hive Guilder
    Tribe Council

I want them because they are most likely to pass nicely for Chaos cultists and Ad-Mech conversions.

irlZombie, ThreeDice and cardyfreak like this.
  4. Stoof

Stoof Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
    Tribe Council Yak Comp 2nd Place

I'm unsure of them from what we've seen here. They're just too... too... Star Trekky? Clean? Futurey? Or the wrong kind of furturey? Might just be the paint jobs though. It might just be that the weapon designs differ considerably from what we've seen before, and that lends them a generic look that has yet to sink in as part of 40K lore. They look a bit "Mass Effect".

5. Stoof

BoLS has posted some clear-ish pics of more of the models here.

ThreeDice and Tiny like this.
  6. Tiny

Tiny Hive Guilder
    Tribe Council

On a side note, those Blood Bowl Chaos Warriors are blander than bland. Beastmen are cool though.

Beepluck, Kelendor and spafe like this.
  7. spafe

spafe Executive Officer in charge of Hats
    Staff Member Necromunda Custodian Tribe Council Yak Comp 2nd Place

yep! dunno why they did away with the chaos helmets!

8. Jembo17

Jembo17 Gang Champion
    Yak Funder

I agree. They're awful. I'm in the process of getting back into Blood Bowl, and am looking forward to the new releases, but then saw these and thought :eek:

At least there's plenty of alternative companies out there making Chaos teams. (y)

Tiny likes this.
  9. DerekDecker

DerekDecker Ganger

New chaos warrior look like they might make good Goliath Leader or champ if their size are big enough.

spafe likes this.
  10. Stoof

At risk of drifting off topic - the beastmen look like they'd convert up to 40k quite nicely. Nice source of IG beastmen or base models for bounty hunters perhaps?

ThreeDice and Tiny like this.
  11. Trafalgar Law

Trafalgar Law Gang Hero

The only thing I'm not a fan of is those weird 4 eyed helmets. Don't think they fit with the 40k universe. Hopefully there will be enough other heads not to need them.

ThreeDice, maxwellrpower and Tiny like this.
  12. Love the models. Glad they hint at a sooner release. If I should take a guess they will probably be released with another gw book with the rules for van saar and a big trading post weapon list with actual f#%&ing prices in it.

13. Tiny

Tiny Hive Guilder
    Tribe Council

Yeah, I think that is actually the main sticking point for me too. That and the non-Imperium look to some of the weapons. The rest of the model I can work with. They will make some great servants of the Mechanicus at some point.

Its a shame most of them are in running poses. Otherwise they would make a great base for servitors.

#73 Tiny, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    ThreeDice, Space Truckin and Kelendor like this.
  14. DerekDecker

DerekDecker Ganger

The problem I have with these new Van Saar is that with everything being so advanced and much more high tech than the other. How could I wrap my head around and give them a mundane basic weapons from other kit, wouldn't it feel like an insult to them? Obviously the tiny sprue kit won't have enough gun to cover all the basic weapon early on.

Hopefully we'll see the FW upgrade kit soon, but I'm not a fan of resin stuff.

ThreeDice and Kelendor like this.
  15. You could probably smooth down/fill in the bottom pair of eyes fairly easily, if there aren't enough unhelmeted heads.

maxwellrpower likes this.
  16. Well as March is the end of Q1 even if they release them in 3 weekes time it will be Q2 and then mayby a 3 month wait till the next one :(

cardyfreak likes this.
  17. ntw3001

ntw3001 Gang Hero

I expect a photocopy of a post-it note that reads 'von saar - normal stats, skills same, guns: las, plas, bolt'.

cardyfreak, ThreeDice, Stoof and 3 others like this.
  18. Guerre

Guerre Ganger

Female Van Saar!

19. Trafalgar Law

Trafalgar Law Gang Hero

We're already half way through March. A middle of May release as suggested by the original release schedule is only 8 weeks away so 'not too long'.

Thorgor likes this.
  20. I know people are anxious about their high-tech look being 'not 40K', but when you read Eisenhorn and Abnett was describing the high-tech mercenaries in Hereticus or the wealth and tech of Gudrun in Xenos, or when reading Wraight or French's inquisition work - one gets a sense that there is a lot more technological variety in the Imperium - these sit alongside decayed steampunk and gothicpunk in Pariah, an Akira-esque world in Ravenor, wild west miners and 1980s Outland horror mines too. This is an empire of millions of planets, of course there will be billions of facets of form and variety. If you did an accounting of all the styles of dress and tech that existed on earth today, you'd have 10000s of distinct forms, styles and the like - now imagine that across trillions and trillions of people, of varied socio-economic levels and technological production centres and so on. The idea of uniformity in 40K, although perpetrated by some of 40K's writers (ie the Cadian codex writer, especially, or the marines too), is a nonsense when conveyed to its civilian side - one we don't see but which in the images of the Inquisitor rulebook or Blanchian sketches or the work of Inq28-wondersmiths, is shown to be as varied as one's imagination allows. One of the great things about new Necro is it more and more subverts 40K model ranges' tendency to make everywhere a planet of hats - so Goliaths, Eschers, Orlocks, Van Saars and the Guilds which we have all seen can sit side-by-side. Most grand. There is no 'one' 40K, nor should there ever be.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice