N18 Van Saar starting campaign list

Pancake5765

Apr 17, 2021
My local store is going to run a Necromunda campaign soon. I love the lore of the Van Saar and am going to play them in the campaign. Here is my idea for the starting gang list.

Prime - Plasma Pistol/Laspistol - Mesh Armor
skill - Overlord

Augmek - Multi Melta - Mesh Armor
skill - Fixer

Archeotek - (2)Plasma Pistol - Mesh Armor
skill - Fixer
cyberteknika - (A)Ocular

Tek(sp) - Lasgun
Tek - Lasgun
Subtek - Lasgun/Smoke Grenade
Subtek - Lasgun

The idea with this list is to have two teams that can each be self sufficient. They will from three teams as the campaign goes on.

In the beginning few battles the Prime will team with the Augmek and smoke grenade Subtek. This will be a heavy weapons platform around the multi melta. To save on suspensors in the initial build, the Prime will overlord the Augmek to move and shoot in a single round. The Plasma pistol on the prime more of a melee backup with the lucky ranged shot. The Subtek can either possibly pin an enemy, or throw out some cover after the multi fires from a vulnerable position.

Team two consists of the Archeotek and both the Teks. With infrasight the dual Plasma pistol Archeotek is the darkness and ZM heavy hitter. His weapons reach as far as he can see with a huge punch. Otherwise this team is a bit more risk taking. They will move more and try to reach objectives or hunt enemy models.

The Subtek with just a Lasgun will do whatever he needs, be it joining one of the teams or running around alone playing rambo.

As the first few games go by the Fixer skills will hopefully help to buy two more lasgun Teks and then a third Champion. Depending on the other gangs in the campaign I will decide how much I focus on the melee end of things. I want to eventually give my Prime a long range template weapon and the Archeotek a spider rig.

Can't plan beyond the first game too much of course. Having played lots of Killteam and Mordheim I am confident in my list, BUT I have never played a single game of Necromunda. So I ask you all to give me your opinions of my list and general plan.

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
It’s a workable list that is different to the old fast shot plasma gun list.

Personally I would skip the overseer and one of the fixer skills for better skills from the shooting tree which will win you more games.

Archeoteks are also a bit of a bust for me. From memory the Augmeks are usually cheaper and have access to better skill tables so unless there is a specific build that needs their techno skills I would consider just taking an augmek instead.

Lasgun teks and subteks are par for the course, though you are less likely to need smoke grenades and more likely to need photo goggles and infrasights to counter them.

Reactions: Pancake5765

MrAndersson

Gang Hero
Sep 18, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
If your leader is to use Overseer (I assume that's what you mean by Overlord), then why waste cash on a semi-expensive weapon for him?

Suspensors are absolutely necessary. Taking a heavy weapon without them is a big no-no.

Also, does your group play with tactics cards. And if so, what is the method for choosing them? The reason I ask is because of the card Click!. Every game your opponent holds that card, you will only get a single shot with the Multi-melta, and then it's going to be out of ammo. He is also going to be a prime target for cards like History of violence and Dangerous footing.

If you are going to use 2 plasma pistols, take the Gunfighter skill.

Scabs

Gang Champion
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
There's a Tactics Card in the "new" VS deck that lets you take 3 Subteks with lasguns, for free. For that one battle. And, they come no matter what, even if it takes you above your Starting Crew limit. Plus, you wont leave your Leader at home for a Juve, when crews are chosen at random. Why buy the cow, when the Juves are free?

Last edited:

the_radbacks

May 13, 2021
Brighton
I'm returning to the Underhive after 20 years in the Ash Wastes.

Here is my starting Van Saar list - The Sump City Radbacks:

• "Genesis" - Prime
    • Plasma gun
    • Laspistol
    • Mesh armor
    • HPE shield
    • Skill - Trick Shot
  • "Rom" - Augmek
    • Plasma pistol x 2
    • Mesh armor
    • Skill - Hip Shooting
  • "Trace" - Neotek
    • Laspistol
    • HPE Energy shield
  • "Glitch" - Neotek
    • Laspistol x 2
    • Photon flash grenades
  • "Link" - Tek
    • Suppression laser
  • "Signal" - Tek
    • Lasgun
  • "Switch" - Tek
    • Lasgun

Please note. I'm very much a narrative player, all about the rule of cool. Having fun is far more important than winning.

Feedback very welcome.

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
I'm returning to the Underhive after 20 years in the Ash Wastes.

Here is my starting Van Saar list - The Sump City Radbacks:

• "Genesis" - Prime
    • Plasma gun
    • Laspistol
    • Mesh armor
    • HPE shield
    • Skill - Trick Shot
  • "Rom" - Augmek
    • Plasma pistol x 2
    • Mesh armor
    • Skill - Hip Shooting
  • "Trace" - Neotek
    • Laspistol
    • HPE Energy shield
  • "Glitch" - Neotek
    • Laspistol x 2
    • Photon flash grenades
  • "Link" - Tek
    • Suppression laser
  • "Signal" - Tek
    • Lasgun
  • "Switch" - Tek
    • Lasgun

Please note. I'm very much a narrative player, all about the rule of cool. Having fun is far more important than winning.

Feedback very welcome.
It’s been a while since I mucked around with a Van Saar list and I can’t quite remember the costs for some of the wargear and the cost difference between augmeks and teks but...

I would be doing my best to get a second champion into that starting list at the cost of some of your more expensive equipment. Most notably the energy shield on the juve and possibly the energy shield on your leader. I would probably upgrade the one with the suppression later out of the gangers you have in your list and look at giving him a savant skill like Fixer.

I would also consider changing your plasma pistols champions skill from hip shooting to gun fighter. It means he can walk in and shoot down two fighters instead of charge in and only shoot one.

You could also consider a champion with a meltagun and hip shooting. I recently had the displeasure of fighting against a Van Saar gang with a leader armed as such and he was a terror to fight against.

All that is just food for thought though as your gang will work effectively enough to have fun on the table top.

Reactions: the_radbacks

the_radbacks

May 13, 2021
Brighton
@almic85 Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Gun Fighter sounds like it will create some epic, cinematic moments. I'm down with that.

I absolutely take your point regarding a 2nd champion. I'm just a sucker for those grav-cutting Neotek punks. 🙃

mateyboy3000

May 29, 2017
I agree with upgrading a Tek to an augmek, it is 45 credits to do so, 65 to 110, and can be done with one shield.

The shield on the prime is a bit OTT at gang creation for me. Do you really need a 3+ save on a fighter that wants to sit in cover and shoot.

Shields are super rule of cool but I would be tempted to drop the other shield for more armour across the gang, van saar gangs tend to be more elite and the extra armour gives them extra staying power in the first few games.

Reactions: the_radbacks

the_radbacks

May 13, 2021
Brighton
@mateyboy3000 All totally valid points, thank you. I'll have a tinker. HPE shields are pretty damn cool though...

I've got my eye on an Ambot for later down the line as well. Infiltrate and having something that can actually take a punch is too attractive to pass up.