• YakTribe will be migrated to a new server on Monday night, April 12th after 2am GMT and should be available on Tuesday morning.

Vehicle Armor 2nd Edition vs. 3rd/4th Edition

Hansuke

Juve
May 18, 2015
Houston, Texas
Does anyone know of any discussions/background/research on the web detailing the crossovers from armor in 2nd Edition (approximately 10-22 based on a quick scan of some vehicle cards) to armor in the 3rd/4th Editions (9-14 on the VDR)? I can probably do a comparison chart, but I thought there might be some sound reasoning out there regarding how the changes came about.

almic85

Cranky Git
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
The armour values are not really analogous as not only did the rules for vehicles change significantly but the armour penetration of weapons also changed significantly.

In 2nd Ed any hits on vehicles were randomised to see what part of the vehicle was hit (tanks were hull, turret, sponson, and or tracks, walkers were legs, body, gun and or driver). Each part then had an armour value for front/side and rear that you needed to beat with your weapons AP rolls, then if you managed to beat the armour you rolled on an injury table for that vehicle part to see what happened.

Guns in second Ed also had bespoke armour penetrations that were made up of static numbers plus 1-6 various dice from d3 to d10’s. Autocannons were d6+d10+8 for example.

Third Ed basically streamlined all armour values back to between 8-14 and all weapons AP was basically strength plus d6.

Third Ed also replaced all the bespoke damage tables for each vehicle with a single universal set of tables using glancing hit, penetrating hit and ordnance hits.

Have a read through This article to read about some of the changes in a bit more depth.

Honestly though if you just want a quick conversion then take the second edition hull values subtract 10 from them, divide that result in half (rounded up) and add 9. It will put you somewhere in the ball park.

Hansuke

Juve
May 18, 2015
Houston, Texas
Thanks for the article link. It provided me with a good history lesson on vehicles. I quit playing after 2nd edition and just now looking into all the changes. I like your formula also. I think it works well for what I have in mind. :)

almic85

Cranky Git
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Glad it helped. I wasn’t sure if you were going to try and convert 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd.

I stopped at third Ed (I think I bought a 4th Ed codex) and started again with 8th.

8th and now 9th have gotten rid of vehicle armour values and damage tables and just given vehicles a proper toughness value and excessive amount of wounds. It works well enough but isn’t as much fun armour values and damage tables.

Reactions: Hansuke

Hansuke

Juve
May 18, 2015
Houston, Texas
My original intent was to use the VDR (I believe that was 3rd or 4th edition?) and work backwards to 2nd edition to find a close approximation. Even though I never played 3rd or 4th, I enjoyed making vehicles with the VDR. I have the rulebook for 8th, but now I think I may want the rules for 9th after your comments. I always thought the i-KORE VOID game got the part right; about given vehicles a toughness and also more wounds for survival. It made for a more seamless experience in my opinion to have vehicles and troops to use the same format for attributes.

The article you pointed out is now PDF'd and added to my 40k reading library. I think the author did a great job of pointing out the evolution of vehicles through the editions.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
take the second edition hull values subtract 10 from them, divide that result in half (rounded up) and add 9. It will put you somewhere in the ball park.

Subtract 10 then halve is equivalent to halve then subtract 5. So, this simplifies to halve (rounding up) then add 4. (No idea how accurate the formula is.)

Reactions: Hansuke and almic85

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Am I going senile, or was there a version with silhouettes and plastic targeting overlays? I remember hating it...