N18 Venators & the Black Market

DarKnife

Jan 26, 2020
Hello all,

My question concerns starting a venator gang: are you able to choose items from the Black Market? If so, how does Legality factor in?

Thanks, DK

DarKnife

Jan 26, 2020
I ask and bump because I'd really love it if my grot kommandos could start with Gutterforged Cloaks and a xenos weapon or two ...

Petitioner's City

Gang Hero
Nov 15, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
In my two most recent campaigns a venator gang could start illegal, and have access to black market items. However it was a bit abused, with not really gangs of outlaws but really wyrd collections of xenos, corrupted and other items that didn't quite make sense, and were pretty nasty. A really tough call, one you need as a group or have your arb decide on. Other things are will an outlaw venator gang start with access to legal trading post items too, or if not, are all common items are shared across both markets, etc.?

MrAndersson

Gang Champion
Sep 18, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
If you are talking about it from a power-gaming standpoint, the Black market isn't really an issue. Venators can do some pretty nasty combinations right from the start, like Grenade launcher and Boltgun spam or dual heavy weapons, but none of them require any illegal stuff.

Reactions: Petitioner's City

DarKnife

Jan 26, 2020
Thanks for the feedback! Definitely not interested in power gaming, there are just some really awesome, simple items I'd like to have available to my kommando grots: Gutterforged Cloaks (strictly worse than Mesh [and maybe Flak?], Lock Punch, and Lho Sticks do not really make sense to me to be hidden behind the Black Market wall. And then other fun stuff like Cred Sniffers and Camo Cloaks are more sensible but would be a blast to get to put on a starting gang. I guess that's the point of playing a campaign is Da Boyz get to evolve into their gear...

Edit: I like your idea of making Common items actually Common across both Markets.

Reactions: Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

Gang Hero
Nov 15, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Thanks for the feedback! Definitely not interested in power gaming, there are just some really awesome, simple items I'd like to have available to my kommando grots: Gutterforged Cloaks (strictly worse than Mesh [and maybe Flak?], Lock Punch, and Lho Sticks do not really make sense to me to be hidden behind the Black Market wall. And then other fun stuff like Cred Sniffers and Camo Cloaks are more sensible but would be a blast to get to put on a starting gang. I guess that's the point of playing a campaign is Da Boyz get to evolve into their gear...

Edit: I like your idea of making Common items actually Common across both Markets.
Thanks! House of Chains has a simple solution too - slave ogryns' outlaw status suggests where players don't have access to Book of Judgement to make the Black Market equal the Trading Post but with a higher rarity for items (I think it was 2 higher). This suggests you could combine and have the Black Market be everything, but with all normal trading post things two levels higher.

You could also take the non-illegal things from the black market and have them be in the trading post at two rarity levels higher too?

And honestly common things in one should pretty much be common in the other, esp. things like gutterforged cloaks and lho sticks. This view can be arguably supported by outlaw favours (in book of ruin) having outlaws buy common items from the trading post as one of their favours.

Aug 9, 2015
Sunderland, UK
Was about to ask the same question...

As written Venators cannot access Black Market on gang creation. But Venator gang list was published (Book of Peril) before Black Market existed (Book of Judgement).

"A Venator ... has no equipment. When hired, they may choose Common equipment and Rare equipment with a rarity value up to and including ... from the Trading Post"

There are separate questions here I think:

1) Does a Venator Gang, at creation, have access to the Black Market as part of the Trading Post?

2) Does a Venator Gang fighter's "rarity value" limit also apply to 'illegality value', if they have access to the Black Market?

Up to an Arbitrator present, but think options below are what a ruling needs to cover (unless arbitrator decides to allow an 'by-item' basis) :

Law-abidingOutlaw
Access to Black Market
- Common Items
- Rare Items
- Illegal Items
Access to Trading Post
- Common Items
- Rare Items

... My preference would be either allowing any Venator gang to have access to all items on either market, or to allow only Outlaw gangs to have access to the Black Market (abut also ensure they retain access to common items on Trading Post)... so as below:

Law-abidingOutlaw
Access to Black MarketNOYES
- Common ItemsNOYES
- Rare ItemsNOYES
- Illegal ItemsNOYES
Access to Trading PostYESYES
- Common ItemsYESYES
- Rare ItemsYESNO

In any case, if a law-abiding Venator gang takes any Illegal Items, they are bound by the same penalties when making alignment checks, so if law-abiding are more likely to become an outlaw gang quite quickly during a campaign!

Reactions: Dingle-King