N18 Veteran Player Potentially Returning.. Questions....

Eilif

Gang Champion
Jul 19, 2014
Chicago
chicagoskirmishwargames.com
Hi Folks.
Been mostly away since before N18 and my how things have changed.... Had some of my club members over playing Kings of War this week and the topic briefly turned to Necromunda.

It was recalled that years ago we'd had a fun mini campaign with the NCE rules. I've still got all my house Gangs except Goliath built and painted under NCE/ORB RULES. Somewhere around here I've got the N18 box set and Gang War 1-4 which I picked up over the years but never did anything with.

The upshot of all this is that if we do play again maybe we'd use N18.

Here's my questions.
1- Are the books I have still Legal and enough to play?

2-Will they cover all my house Gangs?

3-Will my NCE built gangs be legal in N18?

4- Looking at the GW website, am I going to have to start buying $50 rulebooks for each gang?

5. Should I even bother with N18? I like NCE and so does my gaming buddy. As far as other potential opponents I have several friends with a soft spot for vintage GW, but not many who want to go down the GW Rulebook-buying rabbit hole.

6. If I do stick with NCE are the new books possibly worth it just for fluff or will I just be frustrated with options I can't have and a world that doesn't feel like ORB?

Answers, opinions and advice appreciated.

Reactions: spafe

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored, Non-washer of Minis
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I’m kinda surprised no one has answered this yet. For full disclosure, I’ve bought exactly one box set of Escher gangers since the new edition came out. That’s it. Everything I’m repeating from reading loads of threads here (especially The Sump).

1) They’re obsolete. They were mostly rewritten as hardcovers including Gangs of the Underhive. (The first of the two options under the new section of the Tools)

2) if I remember right, they did cover the six basic house gangs, but again they’re obsolete thanks to Gangs of the Underhive.

3) Kinda? The new house weapon lists have some unique new weapons and are more restrictive on the classic weapons during gang generation. After a game or two they could visit the trading post and be fully legal.

4) if you want the latest ruleset, yes. The House of books are the second section under the new Tools section here on Yaktribe. They’re that different from Gangs of the Underhive.

5) That’s your call. You’ve already bought some of it already. Personally, I’ve been priced right out of the new version. Especially with later box sets passing $200 on release. The latest one is apparently running about $400 on eBay as it’s out of print or something already.

6) Maybe? Hardcovers are expensive. But if you stick with NCE and have the time, there’s no reason why you couldn’t adapt the new weapons and gangers into NCE rules. I don’t think anyone has done it yet.

Reactions: spafe

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
5. Should I even bother with N18? I like NCE and so does my gaming buddy. As far as other potential opponents I have several friends with a soft spot for vintage GW, but not many who want to go down the GW Rulebook-buying rabbit hole.
Mostly I agree with what @Punktaku has said. however I would add a few thoughts, specifically about this bit.

If it is just you a a buddy (or small closed group), then I would suggest playing the rules you have with the basic gangs (escher and goliath). If you enjoy the game (the alt activation, actions, new stat line etc etc etc), then honestly, I would suggest picking up (look on ebay in a few months) the gangs of the underhive and main rulebook hardback books. They are about to be replaced with new ash wastes rule book (rulebook update), and have already been repalaced with the house of books (gangs of the underhive). However, as you have existing gangs, and from the tone of your message (I might be off base here), are not interesting in the new shiny stuff gw are putting out, then those two books will give you a fairly tight game, without all the crazt unbalanced stuff from later expansions and books (althought you will miss out on latest releases such as the champion and prospect boxes, but could use those models as champs and juves for the most part if you so wished). the fact that these are likely to start appearing on ebay at a reduced price due to being obselete is why I would suggest them. They have all 6 gangs, some brutes, pets, trading post, hangers on, etc etc etc. They are decent one stop shop books to play the game with.

If you play the new style necromunda and think you prefer the whole gang turns, old stat lines etc, then keep trucking with the NCE and you will still find plenty of others on here and elsewhere who do the same. There is no right or wrong, just be aware the course of action I suggest above is only really viable is you have a close group.

Eilif

Gang Champion
Jul 19, 2014
Chicago
chicagoskirmishwargames.com
Thanks for that folks, I truly appreciate the depth of info. That plus looking through the GW website makes my likely path much clearer.

I should have mentioned that I'm not really interested in replacing all my figures with new ones. I've got five 18-20 figure House gangs and some other characters. I'm very happy with them (several gangs painted by friends for me) and based on style and size they don't really look compatible with the current stuff.

I think I'm going to unload my Gang War books and stick with NCE. I will likely supplement my N18 box set plastic Goliath with some more and build a Goliath gang to NCE/ORB rules. It's the only gang I don't have and there no shame in having Goliath figures being taller than average.

Thanks again

Reactions: cronevald and spafe