Warband lists

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I'm trying to create some warbands based on the models I have (which are mainly set up for Frostgrave). I'm trying to keep things reasonably WYSIWYG and not simply spamming the most optimal load out, but I still want them to be competitive.

Here's the first attempt - Reiklander mercs

80 - captain with sword and bow
55 - champ with halberd and helmet
50 - champ with sword and shield (I know the shield is probably suboptimal, unless using some houserule)
25 - youngblood with sword
25 - youngblood with sword

45 - swordsman with sword
40 - marksman with longbow
50 - marksman with longbow and helmet
50 - marksman with crossbow
60 - marksman with crossbow and helmet

Total - 480

All the henchmen are separate units (mainly for Lad's Got Talent potential). I've also prioritised better quality henchmen for the same reason - in the hope that one of these guys becomes a hero, rather than a basic warrior.

Are the helmets on the marksmen a total waste? I put them there mainly for WYSIWYG purposes, but I doubt anyone is that strict about it. Should I move them to me heroes or drop them altogether?

Reactions: MedMos

Coenus Scaldingus

Ganger
Yak Comp 1st Place
Apr 29, 2018
Finland
After moving the hats to the important people (WYSIWYG doesn't seem very strictly enforced for light armour and accessories typically, mainly weapons and heavy armour, though groups vary of course), I would merge the henchmen groups where possible. With only 1 member, they'll just die. Die before getting reasonable experience, or die after a level-up or two, neither of which is ideal. I take it everybody not using a shield/two-handed weapon has a dagger as well, because, well, there is no reason not to unless using houserules.

Reactions: Ben_S

Coenus Scaldingus

Ganger
Yak Comp 1st Place
Apr 29, 2018
Finland
Can certainly see small henchmen groups being a nice option, but single model ones feels risky.
If henchmen go down in battle, they'll be properly dead 1 out of 3 times. In many scenarios, the only experience for henchmen is survival, meaning you need to live through 2 and then 5 games to advance. It's quite likely at least one of the lads in a group of 2-3 will survive (the game, or at least the injury roll), but losing a complete "group" on single roll of 1-2 each time, well, quite some groups won't make it past 1 advance.
Besides, you're not that desperate for additional heroes, already starting 1 off the maximum.

Note that I'm not actually speaking from a lot of experience. Mostly theory. :whistle:

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
You want groups of 1.that's is from experience.

You max chance of lads talent, but also, after the first advance, one group will likely get the best advance than the rest (attack usually), then you put a few extras in that group.,

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Also your likely casualties are the swordsmen and Youngbloods, since the rest of your henchmen are range:1. They arnt likely to die 2. They actually want bs or lads talent, not attacks.