Warhammer conquest magazine

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
For anyone planning to get this, it's released today. But you may have to be quick - I already saw one person post the TEN copies they bought on FB.

My gf was going in to town, so I asked her to look out for it. She managed to get it in GW, because they limit sales to no more than three per customer. W H Smiths had apparently sold out already.

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
I'm tempted to pick up issue one, because cheep marines to make Necromunda statues out of. My wife will be in a WH Smith's tomorrow and I was going to ask her to keep an eye out.

They're pushing it as £7.99 an issue from issue 3 onwards, but it's 4 issues a month - £31.96. If it was one issue at £7.99 a month I might be tempted to subscribe, but I think they've over done it with the excessively rapid release rate.

I also don't like that they neglect to mention how much you get with each issue... but still want you to sign up for an open-ended £30+ a month subscription, that you can only cancel by post, email or telephone giving 28 days notice (like in the past!), that there are 80 issues of... I suspect if you went for it you'd find at the end you'd find you'd saved somewhere in the region of sweet FA (your bank account being ~£630 lighter in the end!!!)

Last edited:

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Apparently Smiths and some other places were selling them before today, which may also be part of the reason they're sold out already (at least, this is what the GW guy told my gf).

GW stores should have stock for longer, though I think I read that they will only stock up to issue 4.

@Fold - it comes with three Intercessors (RRP £10), three paints (RRP £7.65?), and a brush. If you happen to want all the stuff anyway, then £20 is about normal price, though of course you can buy it any time without the magazine.

Stoof

Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
The people it's intended for will probably subscribe - typically these part work magazines are only carried in shops & newsagents for a few issues before becoming request/subscription only. They are expensive to buy in and take up too much shelf space, especially if it's weekly.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
The gf and I saw a TV advert for it tonight, during the Simpsons. Kind of odd though, given that many places seem to have sold out already.

I wonder how many of the target audience - i.e. mostly youngish people not already into Warhammer - even knew of this magazine, before almost all the copies were bought up by existing gamers looking for a bargain. (Even if you only wanted one of the three paints included with this issue, it was cheaper to buy the magazine and get the other bits, including marines, free.)

I'm not going to bother subscribing, but there may be future issues that I'd buy if I could. From the looks of it, they'll cover scenery and some larger kits, including tanks and chaos spawn (I guess over two or more issues).

It seems that you can order back issues from the publisher, costing an extra £1.99 for p&p (unless you spend over £25, then it's free post).

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
That was my thought when I said the intended market would lose out. So much of those things will be because it’s seen in a shop or advert, looks cool, it becomes a random purchase and hopefully they’re hooked. The market for this is precisely people (children) who don’t already know much if anything about the Games Workshop hobby brand.

Bit difficult for them to get into it if every copy was swept off the shelf by one greedy gamer/scalper who’ll no doubt strip the figures, paint and brush and bin the magazine part unread. (They aint reading 10 copies that’s for sure)

No-ones going to subscribe to a magazine they haven’t read.

As I said, happens all the time. It’s what used to annoy me the most about limited edition game runs. They would just get scalped up by someone going to flip a load at x10 the price or split up.

Anyone who wanted one to *shock* actually play and not harvest the models... bang out of luck.

Reactions: Stoof and Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I'm not sure how good it actually is for the target market though. I only flicked through the magazine part, but it didn't seem that enticing.

There's a guide to painting your space marines, with the three colours provided. The main colour, of course, is Macragge Blue when they already come in blue plastic. It doesn't really explain why you should paint your blue model blue. (And it's not evident that they did, unless they were very careful not to get any on the base.)

Even if one carefully follows the instructions, the results are underwhelming, as you'd expect. Your sergeant is still left with a blue face. I think it said you can paint that next week, though next week only adds Death Guard Green - you'll need to wait until issue 4 for a flesh colour.

EDIT: I just found this review, if anyone's interested in seeing content:
https://fauxhammer.com/reviews/warhammer-conquest-magazine-review-issue-01/

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoof

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Issy-les-Moulineaux 92130 France
I'm necroing this thread but I have a good reason.
Warhammer Conquest is now available to us froggies (yeah, there is apparently some time-dilatation stuff going on in the Channel), so I'd like to get some feedback from the tribe.

Did anyone subscribe to it? If so, how hard was it to unsubscribe? My current plan is to subscribe and immediately unsubscribe to get only the first few issues and associated gifts, but I really don't want to spend hours on the phone or write dozen of emails...
If unsubscribing turns out to be too complicated, I'd rather try and grab the first two issues in a shop (assuming scalpers didn't already get all of them).

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I did not subscribe, partly because I thought it would be tricky to do what you suggest - they send out a delivery every 4 weeks, but you need to give 28 days notice to unsubscribe. If you wait for delivery 1 to arrive, it it probably too late to cancel before delivery 2 is sent. (I think you can return it, at your own expense, for a refund though, so I guess that limits how much you may be out of pocket.)

I did find that - at least in the UK - you could mail order individual issues (for cover price +£2 p&p per order). I ordered about ten copies of issue 1 and left it at that. Not sure whether you have the same option.

Stoof

Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
I'm necroing this thread but I have a good reason.
Warhammer Conquest is now available to us froggies (yeah, there is apparently some time-dilatation stuff going on in the Channel), so I'd like to get some feedback from the tribe.

Did anyone subscribe to it? If so, how hard was it to unsubscribe? My current plan is to subscribe and immediately unsubscribe to get only the first few issues and associated gifts, but I really don't want to spend hours on the phone or write dozen of emails...
If unsubscribing turns out to be too complicated, I'd rather try and grab the first two issues in a shop (assuming scalpers didn't already get all of them).
Assuming it's the same company handling it in France as it is in the UK (Hachette Partworks), the company is notoriously difficult to cancel with. They're particularly keen on taking payments for subscriptions you've already cancelled. A rating 87% BAD on TrustPilot doesn't come easily - you have to put real effort into being that awful.

Capture.PNG

• Wow
Reactions: Thorgor and Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I assume this is a Direct Debit though, so shouldn't it be easy enough to get money back from your bank under the Direct Debit Guarantee scheme?

2 comments

Stoof

Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
I assume so, however there's a world of difference between "I asked them to cancel and they cancelled" and "I asked them to cancel and they didn't and now I have to send things back at my own expense and fart about getting my bank to cancel and claim back a direct debit payment".

Reactions: Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
My understanding was that you're allowed to keep anything sent to you unsolicited. If you've cancelled your subscription, in writing, and they've still sent you more stuff since then, I don't see that you'd have to return it. (Though you presumably do have to return something sent before you cancelled, which I commented on above.)

Glyn

Heckin Provost
Nov 27, 2017
London, UK
For those in UK cities, I have noticed that Forbidden Planet sometimes has these in their book section (if yours has one).
I go and nosey from time to time to see if there is a nice piece of terrain on it. Got a lovely crate the other month.

Reactions: Stoof and Ben_S

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Issy-les-Moulineaux 92130 France
Yeah, they call themselves Hachette Collection around here, but they are basically the same (apparently terrible) guys.
I'm not gonna take that risk right now. I'm moving flats in a month, and I already have a lot of boring paperwork that needs doing as a result.Thanks for the intel!

Reactions: Stoof

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
🧟‍♀️🧟‍♂️🧟‍♀️

*Grerrrrr Arrrrrgh*

Zombie thread alert!!!! 🚨

More to point. Yeah, that company is as bad as Readers Digest used to be. You can never leave!!

I got a few copies from a local newsagent but they stopped stocking it after a while. It’s the scenery that interested me the most but I never found any of them. Was never interested in the Nurgle stuff.