Warhammer Horror

nooker

Prodigal Viking of the Librarium
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Feb 17, 2011
Brooklyn Park, MN
Curious what others thought about this: https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-horror I've only listened to two, Perdition's Flame & The Way Out. I liked Perdition fine, but didn't really feel like it was "horror". It certainly wasn't more horrific than other things I had read from the Black Library. They Way Out was right up my alley as I really like sci-fi survival horror & audio dramas. It really did feel like horror. My big issue with "Warhammer Horror" is so many of the tales already told in the universe are horrific, I don't really understand how they can fully differentiate new stories into horror. Because of that it really just feels like a marketing gimmick.

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Yeah I've just (yesterday) started reading HP lovecraft stuff... I had largely ignored the 'horror' marketing of black library as just that, but I'll likely pick up one or two in the future when there are more reviews. The way out will be where I start then :)

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
In fact, the series led off with "Drachenfels" being reprinted - what was previously considered just a standard foundation story for WFRP.

The Old World was after all a Gothic Horror setting, at its foundations. Yes, full of social satire and parody. 40K similarly. I agree that this would make specific 'horror' stories difficult to pick out from the 'canon' overall; though 40K especially has shifted I suppose into war stories and even some comedy, there have been strong gothic horror elements throughout.

Reactions: spafe

nooker

Prodigal Viking of the Librarium
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Feb 17, 2011
Brooklyn Park, MN
The way out will be where I start then
It was good & had a sorta Event Horizon feel to it. You might wait till they put it into a single volume though.

I do feel like a lot of Necromunda stories are pretty horrific, like The Lake from Status: Deadzone, and scarier than what I read in these two. Even Wanted: Dead was pretty scary, even if the source was of the horror was mundane.

Reactions: spafe and Aulenback

Coenus Scaldingus

Ganger
Yak Comp 1st Place
Apr 29, 2018
Finland
Nearly picked up the Genevieve books from a local store on several occasions years ago, but never did. Don't care what category they felt the need to invent to reprint them, just glad they did! First is currently in the post; quite looking forward to it after 10 years...