Warlords of Erehwon

Luke82

Ganger
Mar 11, 2017
Basildon, United Kingdom
Anyone else playing this? My pals and I have got into this recently, and I can’t recommend it enough. It’s a perfect game to play with old school fantasy armies, and was a much better fit for me than trying to make old armies work in Age of Sigmar. It’s based around the Bolt Action mechanics I believe, with activation dice.

Seems like a bit of a retirement project for Rick Priestley, he’s putting out more army lists on the regular, and released a points value formula to create your own units.

It’s really got my hobby juices flowing, the warbands are fairly modest in size so my Warhammer quest collection has given me loads of forces to choose from.

Well worth picking up if you’ve got fantasy armies collecting dust and eager opponents.

CaptainDangerous

Call me Hugh
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
Havnt looked at the rules yet but I got meself the skeleton army set!
I’d totally consider trying to set up a TribeMeet for this next year if there were enough folks interested!

Reactions: Luke82

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
From what I've seen, it looks like an alternative to Dragon Rampant. I'm not really sure I want to invest in a game of that size (I prefer something more like Mordheim/Frostgrave), so I think I'll probably stick to DR if I want to scratch that itch. Or maybe Of Gods And Mortals. Either way, I don't think I really need another 'company'-level fantasy skirmish.

Also, the models seem to stick to Warlord's formula of re-releasing old Wargames Factory lines at greatly inflated prices. While I like the look of the skellies, I've heard that they're very fiddly to put together and a bit delicate for gaming.

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

Luke82

Ganger
Mar 11, 2017
Basildon, United Kingdom
The warbands are around 30 - 50 models for a 1,000 point game (which seems to have become the standard) so definitely a bit more than a mordheim crew. It’s mini agnostic which is why I bought the book, having all the models I needed already (as a plastic crack addict this has of course not meant I haven’t bought more anyway), I am guessing dragon rampant is the same? The investment was pretty minimal (book and some order dice, which could be a D6 really) and has opened up using all my fantasy toys for use again, really invigorated my love of playing in the Old World.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Yeah, seems similar. If you want to learn more about DR, here's a random review:

I think a lot of DR players already used it as a way to get old Warhammer models out on the table again.

I tend to think of games in three size categories, two of which are sometimes referred to as 'skirmish' games:

1. Around 5-15 individual models, e.g. Mordheim, Frostgrave, Warcry, etc.
2. Around 30-60 models, mostly acting in loose units, e.g. Dragon Rampant, OGAM, Erehwon. (Possibly AoS here too, depending on size?)
3. Massed battle with units in rank and file blocks, e.g. WFB, Kings of War, 9th Age.

I no longer have any real interest in 3 and, to be honest, not much interest in 2 either, so I don't think I need another system in that bracket.

CaptainDangerous

Call me Hugh
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
I’m just keen on moving away from games workshop altogether and I really feel warlord games is the future! (And also the past, depending on what you’re playing :p )

It could just be a fleeting product to sell some unused assets bought up by warlord, but if plays anything like bolt action then I can see it having a bright future!
The fact that they havnt tried to slap a load of jumbo jumbo lore to try and make it seem more interesting is enough to make me like it already!

I’ll have to get the next couple of months out the way before starting a new TribeMeet venture, but Iv got some Essex blood in me, so it should be fun! We could even combine it with frostgrave if folks didn’t want to play the bigger battles!? Maybe create our own factions and have a game of thrones type of mini campaign, with each house sending their wizard to secure the Yak Throne!?

Gotta think of a catchy title now, Fantasy TribeMeet just doesn’t have that zing!

Reactions: Luke82

Luke82

Ganger
Mar 11, 2017
Basildon, United Kingdom
Ben - Thanks for sharing the review, the games seem fairly similar, certainly in tone. WoE seems a bit closer to Warhammer (perhaps unsurprising given it’s by Rick Priestley) in representing different races, I’m sure DR can be tweaked for this as well though.

Captain - from listening to podcast interviews with RP it seems like this is what he’s decided to do with his retirement, warlord published it and are selling some minis for it too (that halfling army is mighty tempting!). I also like it’s lack of lore and setting... I always end up playing in the Old World in my head canon anyway, and this way there is no forced imbalance to sell the latest new shiny army and kill off the old stuff.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Slightly off-topic, but I noticed the other day that a lot of Beyond the Gates of Antares (another Priestley/Warlord release) was on sale at the moment. Again, I don't think it's for me, but for anyone interested in an oldhammer-style 40k alternative, it seems quite popular.

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

CaptainDangerous

Call me Hugh
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
:cautious: Cheers Ben_s, now for Christmas I’m getting the Ghar army I never needed... :p:D

2 comments

Luke82

Ganger
Mar 11, 2017
Basildon, United Kingdom
Another great thing about WoE... multiplayer games are no problem with the dice draw mechanic. Most of the time my gaming garage has a few of us in so we can all play without working out any rules or waiting six hours between each persons turns!

A902AEA0-6F20-4CD3-A520-1FC4CA847D2A.jpeg

My dwarf warparty went looking for goodies out in the badlands, and disturbed a burial site, leading to some skeletons rising up and feeling a bit miffed. Some Sea Elves also decided the desert was the perfect place to head with their aquatic animals so also charged into the fray.

F36CC028-5F6C-4F8C-B1E0-31E7D63F17E4.jpeg

My dwarfs got obliterated. My slayers in particular let me down, taking a pounding from a single skeleton spearman whose unit had already decimated my warlord and his bodyguards. The sea elves dedicated most of their force to chasing down a single hardy skeleton knight so were relatively fresh once the skeletons and dwarfs had knocked the stuffing out of each other, putting them in place for a decisive victory. A great game!

C8614361-FFF6-4C46-AF42-B286670BE22C.jpeg

Luke82

Ganger
Mar 11, 2017
Basildon, United Kingdom
Took the forest goblins out for a game against the undead, pulled out a win. First time we tried putting heroes on monstrous mounts, was good fun. My chief Cacktooth was on a Gigantic Spider and the Undead Wraith was on a Cockatrice! They fought and the spider just about won out, but was then pinned down and eventually killed by skeleton archers, who were then charged by Cacktooth on foot. Great game!

75C3140D-74E4-41AA-A2FE-9C1676389CAF.jpeg

Last edited:

Luke82

Ganger
Mar 11, 2017
Basildon, United Kingdom
Just got finished up with a 3 way 2000 points a side game, what an absolute blast. Was so close with all 3 players one unit loss away from break point, my dwarfs unfortunately the first out after a valiant last dwarf crossbow man finally succumbed to a Sea Elf Warlord sneakily darting around my Hammerers. The same fishman then suicide bombed his way to victory by charging some skeleton archers who killed his mount which then exploded all over them, taking them out!

For a game designed for smaller engagements the game scales amazingly, we played for about five hours and every minute was fun, engaging, and tense. It really came to the last few rolls and could have gone anyway at the end, of the seahorse hadn’t exploded there’d have been an undead victory for sure.
558181D2-C957-4263-80B5-51F609CADCB8.jpeg

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
What dice does the game use? Standard D6? D10?

I like a D6 based game and would definitely be interested in it if so, particularly if its anything like Bolt Action.

EDIT: Ahh crap, its a D10 based game. Not for me.

Last edited:

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
Any particular reason the D10 puts you off Tiny? I’ve not played Bolt Action but I gather it’s pretty similar.
Its probably fine but I just have a thing about poly dice. I like D6 based games. I'm weird. I struggled to get on with Frostgrave and Infinity too (not just because of the poly dice in these cases though).

Bolt action sensibly uses the magical D6.

Luke82

Ganger
Mar 11, 2017
Basildon, United Kingdom
We’ve started a ‘conquest of nowhere’ map campaign and are a few games in now. Today a vampire lord and his retinue of ghouls faced off against the foul horde of the evil sorcerer the White Hand, to retrieve a sacred relic. It just so happened that this particular relic belonged to the ancestors of my Dwarf Lord Bouldertoe who rushed to defend it! The game was close but in the end my dwarfs managed to fight off the two warbands and preserve the dignity of my ancestors final resting place.

The campaign my pal cooked up is jam packed with d100 tables of random nonsense so so far my dwarfs are doing well, going 2 for 2, but a random disaster is sure to hit me soon!

35B3D988-4D39-4772-A192-5B6D2A1A323D.jpegCE5069B6-3570-4CBC-99AF-299258840E57.jpeg2AB8EAC9-9349-4780-9DC6-B9D4C6F7AC87.jpegE20A52EF-BFB6-456D-B551-3EE04730AE7B.jpegC10F2869-5919-434D-AE53-FCF41F9FBABC.jpegC98FF688-269F-4AF6-A5AD-3632B28C2BA4.jpeg