N18 What are people doing for charging up ladders?

Discussion in 'Rules, Mechanics & Skills' started by UbiquitousFUD, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Kitcar

Kitcar Gang Hero

More grit in the oil, what if you charge over a 2 inch gap? Test to leap correctly, maybe fall, get pinned and maybe fall. Extra hit while charging because all four limbs are free.... :D

2. Konapowder

Konapowder New Member

Surely if you are close enough to try and charge you could get to the bottom of the ladder and shoot something at short range at that person blocking the ladder. seems cinematic...also by being at the top of the ladder they are close enough to the edge to fall should they get pinned.
    I dont think standing at the top of a ladder usually affords much cover.

3. TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts Gang Hero

Sure you could do that. Problem is the fighter on the top of the ladder is a Van Saar with BS 2+ with rapid fire plasma and Fast Shot skill (potential/max 12 Damage output). The fighter on the bottom trying to get up is a Move 4" Goliath armed with clubs and axes, only able to shoot angry looks. So yeah. Even if the the Goliath fighter had a stub cannon or some ranged weapon, since the other fighter is higher up, it gains cover and so Goliath usually hit stuff on 4+, but now it would be 5+ or 6+. The Van Saar player hits anything on 2+ regardless of cover. So if ladders make Van Saar immune to close combat, I'm gonna have to think of something new. Either I'm gonna throw my gangs in the garbage and find a different game, or play only Van Saar from now on, without any close combat weapons of course.

4. Punktaku

Punktaku Un-Dis-Honored
    Honored Tribesman

or set up some alternative avenues to that location. catwalks, bridges, gantries, ramps, another building close by with a jumpable gap, etc.

5. Kitcar

Kitcar Gang Hero

It seems acceptable to be able to block a ladder like that, its a smart move. Elmer would stick to the top of the ladder like glue. :D

6. KA7777

KA7777 Ganger

Did you start by tripling the range of every weapon? Then removing the base from every model for accurate heights and truer true line of sight (TTLoS)? ;)

Every GW ruleset falls extremely short of "realism," and are approximate, not simulations. I lose all empathy for any argument that cites realism as a motivating factor. Although in this case the RAW backs you up as well, and I'm fine with people who like to be strict on that count.

We just allow models to hover when they're climbing a ladder. There are enough advantages to being elevated (extreme LoS, guaranteed cover, partial immunity to templates, etc.) that introducing unchargeable positions seems like a very bad idea.

TopsyKretts likes this.
  7. TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts Gang Hero

I can not accept another nerf to close combat. I'm gonna say charge up the ladder without penalty. If there's gonna be more penalties now, it better go to the ranged shooting, not close combat!!!

8. KA7777

KA7777 Ganger

Another lame effect of not allowing models to "hover" on penalty-free climables is that you're basically wiping any ladder taller than 8" from your table-space.

Terrain pieces of that height aren't particularly common, but they're cool, and I would be uncomfortable with a rules interpretation that effectively banned them.

9. TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts Gang Hero

There is one awesome ladder functionality I have seen (some other game or 3rd party) where you have a little stand for a base and the stand also has a little "hook" on the side that slots in between the steps of the ladder. So it's sort of an "elevator" you can put at any height of the ladder, the stand goes pendicular 90 degrees from the ladder, and you can put your mini on that.

This was a missed opportunity of GW to put some nice functionality in their plastics.

10. Kitcar

Kitcar Gang Hero

Sell some more stuff. I charged up two ladders at the hardware store. Yakspouse was pissed. :D

Space Truckin and TopsyKretts like this.
  11. Kitcar

Kitcar Gang Hero

There are several things that stand out, if you don't have enough movement, you cant climb the ladder. You cannot pass through an opponent's model. Your model cannot be placed where it cannot fit. When a falling model hits another, it is moved the minimum distance required to find a spot, then after hit resolution you move it 1" away. Fighting with models is a representation of a swirling melee. There is more resolution in Necromunda than 40K but it can be seen.

So swirling means as you crest the ladder both models represent a grapling brawl and for game's sake the opponent's model stay's put. This could count as an encumbered attack as one hand is for the ladder (first combat round anyway). It could also be interpreted that after placing the attacker, behind the opponent if necessary, that model counts as being 1/2" from the edge, risking falling of course.

12. Punktaku

Punktaku Un-Dis-Honored
    Honored Tribesman

higher ground bonus? barricade bonus (but only for certain types, such as a ladder that passes through a hole in the floor or a trap door/hatch)?

13. SoothSayer

SoothSayer Juve

Our group plays it as rule of cool. Gangers can fight and shoot off ladders but can fall or be shot off

14. Kitcar

Kitcar Gang Hero

Probably the same effect I might think.

I want one of those electric warehouse trucks with the ladder extentions. That way I can charge up my ladder every night. :(

15. Punktaku

Punktaku Un-Dis-Honored
    Honored Tribesman

booo!!!

16. Kitcar

Kitcar Gang Hero

ur just mad u didnt say it

17. Kitcar

Kitcar Gang Hero

I just saw something relevant. A leprechaun selling roses downtown at Second and Clark. Oh, sorry, that was 45 years ago.

"Crawl Through Ductway" states that you move through the duct and set up within 1" of ductway and no closer than 1" to any enemy fighters. If you cant, you cant make the move. This implies the same for a blocked ladder no?

Paupoi likes this.
  18. Konapowder

Konapowder New Member

A Vansaar at the top of a ladder also means they are in danger of falling off should they get hit, with their terrible initiative. Vansaar do not want to be standing on the edges of anything...

19. Paupoi

Paupoi Ganger

I like this, but you'd have to be able to shot people blocking the ladder, just like you are with the duckway.

20. Kitcar

Kitcar Gang Hero

If you can see them yes, standing on the edge of a building close enough so as to block it you could be seen, in cover for quite a way down. So lets consider, you have a multi floor building. on the top is a model so close to the edge no one can fit, so say 1/2". 6 floors down a model looks up and sees very little. He moves out 6" and shoots to kill, the blocker still might have some cover. Easy enough. What if he climbs the ladder that goes 6 floors. Because you can't stop on a ladder you will have to stand on the floors, behind the edge. You can't see the blocker to shoot. So the tactic of the blocker worked, you are stuck. But a heavy bolter across from the blocker could help cuz the blocker can't move. .

Strategery and Tactiles.

Now, what if the blocker claims to be/is hidden? Does it shut down the route for the duration?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice