N18 What do you think of this 2-player campaign I've thought up?

JMISBEST

Ganger
Feb 15, 2021
I've spend the last hour and a half thinking up a fun campaign that only needs 2 players that if the players know the rules and their gangs good enough and are good enough friends they likely won't need a permanent GM. So What do you think of this 2-player campaign I've thought up?

Its name is The Hunters and The Hunted

So

Like I said its got 2 Players

1 commands A Outlaw Alliance made up of several Gangs, here’s more on this alliance

1 of them which has to be whe and their can only be 1 Gang of Renegade Enforcers

You can have 1 Gang of Escaped Ogryn Slaves, but you don’t have to

No more then 3 Gangs can be from the same house

None of them can be Venotars and because they're not cultists or desperate, yet, enough to do deals with Xenos or Cultists none of them can be Helot Cultists, Corpse Grinder Gangs or Genestealers

And

None of them can start as Infected House Gangs but if at any point in The Campaign The number of Gangs in The Alliance of Law-Abiding numbers the number of Gangs in The Outlaw Alliance by x2, for example The number Law Abiding Alliance has 6 Gangs to The Outlaw Alliances 3, then 1 3rd rounded down, The Number of Remaining Outlaws Gangs can become infected by either Chaos Cultists or Genestealer Cultists

Despite that for The Gang of Renegade Enforcers to become infected by either Chaos Cultists or Genestealer Cultists they must fit several very strict criteria. Their can't be more then 2 other Gangs on their side, the up to other 2 Gangs must have lost at least half of their initial members, they must have lost at least 2 3rds of their initial members and the number of gangs on their side must be outnumbered at least 3 to 1

The harshest is that at least 4 Gangs on The Law-Abiding Side must each outnumber the combined number of models in the remaining Outlaw Gangs -1 4th rounded up, for example if their are 3 remaining Outlaw Gangs that all have 8 members then The Alliance of Law-Abiding Gangs must have at least 4 Gangs on The Law-Abiding Side that all at least 18 members

The other consists of A Alliance of Law-Abiding Gangs send to destroy them here’s more on this alliance

1 of them which has to be Regular(?) Enforcers and their can only be 1 Gang of Enforcers

You can have 1 Venotar Gang but you don’t have to

If there is A Venotar Gang then they will be exceptional shots, have a very high level of Speed and Dexterity and a above average level of both Cunning and Intelligence

This is why Primary Skill Types must be Agility and Shooting and why their Secondary Skill Types must be Cunning and Savant

Like with normal(?) Venotar Gangs Hunt Leaders treat Leadership as A Primary Skill Type and Hunt Champions treat Leadership as A Secondary Skill Type

And

None of them can be Escaped Ogryn Slaves, Helot Cultists, Corpse Grinder Gangs or Genestealers or Infected House Gangs

Also

Personally I would suggest never having less then 4 Gangs, rarely having more then 7 Gangs and never having more then 10 Gangs

Most Gangs can’t play more then 2 Games in A Row

The only exception is when The Gang of Renegade Enforcers fight The Gang of Regular(?) Enforcers who can fight up to 4 Games in A Row against each other

All Gangs on both start out worth 3,000 Credits and can have up to 4 Champions, up to 5 Hangers-on and up to 4 Brutes

All Gangs get 1 Free Underhive Scummer with up to 55 Credits worth of Gear that are permanent and those on The Outlaw Side are Outlawed Underhive Scummers

Both sides get 2 Free Bounty Hunters with up to 110 Credits worth of Gear that are permanent, The Player chooses which 2 Gangs get 1 and the 2 on The Outlaw Side are Outlawed Bounty Hunters

But because they’re hunting or being hunted deep in the depths once the campaign starts niether side can add new recruits to their gang and can only get weapons, armour, equipment and Wargear is to find it in Scenarios

And

Only 1 Side can survive, which means that there is only 1 way to win and that is by 1 side killing all members of all Gangs on the opposing side

Also

Both Gangs have 2 options for Special Characters

Option 1

They can either get 1 permanent 1 Special Character that costs 210 Credits

But The Outlaws can’t choose Bounty Hunters unless they are Outlawed Bounty Hunters

The Hunters can’t choose Outlawed Special Characters unless they are A Outlawed Bounty Hunter

And

If they are A Outlawed Bounty Hunter then they lose The Outlaw Rule and are now A Regular(?) A Outlawed Bounty Hunter

Option 2

Before The Campaign starts The 2 Players can sit down, they help each other choose 1 Special Character that has no limit on Credit Cost

And

The only criteria is that they must both agree that the 1 they have is 1 they have is 1 they think they’ll have fun playing with and the 1 the other player has is 1 they think they’ll have fun playing against

Also

Notice I said that when saying I said they think they’ll have fun playing with and later said they think they’ll have fun playing against

And

Think is the operative word, by which I mean that whilst they have to think that at the start of the campaign they can change their mind during the campaign and it won’t have any effect on the campaign

Last edited:

JMISBEST

Ganger
Feb 15, 2021
I've just thought up a version of it that could be used in 1st edition. What do you think?

Its got 2 Players

1 player commands A Outlaw Alliance made up of several Gangs, here’s more on this alliance

1 of them which has to be Renegade Enforcers and their can only be 1 Gang of Renegade Enforcers

You can use either The Official or Fan Made rules for Enforcers but both sides must use the same rules

You can have 1 Gang of Pit Slaves but you don’t have to

You can have 1 Wyrd Gathering but only if the other player is using Defence Force Gang that uses The Rules from The Insurgence Campaign from Fanatic Magazine Issue 1

In up to 2 Scavvy Gangs The Boss and 1 of The 4, see later, Scallies can have Mutations, and if they do then if regular Scavvies that have the same mutation then they don't count as duplicating

For example if The Boss and 1 of The 4, see later, Scallies both had Wings then 1 Scavvy could have Wings without forking out a extra 60 Credits and giving A 2nd Scavvy Wings would only cost a extra 30 Credits rather then the normal extra 90 Credits

And

They aren’t fanatics, of either type, yet or desperate, so they can’t use Redemptionists, Chaos Cults or Genestealers

Also

The player commands A Alliance of Law-Abiding Gangs send to destroy them here’s more on this alliance

1 of them which has to be Regular(?) Enforcers and their can only be 1 Gang of Enforcers

You can use either The Official or Fan Made rules for Enforcers but both sides must use the same rules

You can have 1 Gang of Guilders but you don’t have to

You can use 1 Defence Force Gang Defence Force Gang that uses The Rules from The Insurgence Campaign from Fanatic Magazine Issue 1, but only if the other player is using A Wyrd Gathering

Also

Personally I would suggest never having less then 4 Gangs, rarely having more then 7 Gangs and never having more then 10 Gangs

Most Gangs can’t play more then 2 Games in A Row

The only exception is when The Gang of Renegade Enforcers fight The Gang of Regular(?) Enforcers who can fight up to 4 Games in A Row against each other

All Gangs on both start out worth 2,000 Credits for regular(?) members and all Gangs can have double the normal number of limited Members other then leaders. For example House Gangs can have 4 Heavies, Pit Slaves can have 2 Servitors and 2 Techno's, Scavies can have 4 Scalys and Ratskins can have 2 Shamans

Enforcers that use the official rules have 16 rather then 8 Enforcers, 2 rather then 1 Mastiff Handlers, 2 rather then 1 Cybers Mastiff, 1 Sergeant and 1 Newly Promoted Green-Lieutenant, and other then having a different name is the same as A Sergeant, any weapon they can normally have 1 of they can have 2 of

Enforcers that use the unofficial rules get 10 rather then 5 Free Enforcers and 4 of The 10 Free Enforcers also get A Free Laspistol and can have 2 Heavy Weapons rather then the normal 1

Unless the foes ratting is at least twice that of The Enforcers then The Enforcer Squad can only(?), use 8 Enforcers, 1 Handler and his or her mastiff and either The Sergeant or The Newly Promoted Green-Lieutenant

All Gangs, not just each Alliance, can spend up to another 700 Credits to spend on almost any Hired Gun, they are all permanent but cost x4 their normal hire fee, but you get to choose their advances and those that you can only take 1 of you can take 3 of

As well as which I'm assuming that the players will either have enough common sense to decide that certain Special Character would either never be hired by 1 side or never agree to be hired by 1 Side, it goes without saying that The Hunted can't hire Bounty Hunters

6 examples of that are that Mad Docs, Wyrds and Pit Slaves can only be hired by The Hunted, that Ogryns will join either side but won't join Ratskins, Scavvies, Enforcers or Cawdors and Ratskin Snipers and Ratskin Scouts can hired by The Hunters

Both Alliances, meaning not each gangs,. can spend up to 800 Credits to spend on up to 2 special characters, you can choose from most of them, they are all permanent but cost the amount they normally increase your Gang Ratting by. For example Bull Gorg costs 375 Credits but depending on your point of view they are worth it

Special Characters but not Hired Guns can get advances but they only get advances at the rate of 2 advances per full, not partial, 100 experance gained

As well as which I'm assuming that the players will either have enough common sense to decide that certain Special Character would either never be hired by 1 side or never agree to be hired by 1 Side

6 examples of that are that Luthor Hex, Karloth Valois, Bull Gorg and Mad-Donna can only be hired by The Hunted and Kal Jerico and The Necromunda Version of Lara Croft can both only hired by The Hunters

But because they’re hunting or being hunted deep in the depths once the campaign starts niether side can add new recruits to their gang and can only get weapons, armour, equipment and Wargear is to find it in Scenarios

Only 1 Side can survive, which means that there is only 1 way to win and that is by 1 side killing all members of all Gangs on the opposing side

They niether has side has territories as such, rather they get all their food, drink and ammo and similar expenses provided for free

And

I can imagine that whilst they can’t get credits to spend as such they get some to use to celebrate a major victory or drown their sorrows after a major defeat, tp pay for minor things like cuts, bruises, scrapes, lumps and burns to be checked for infections and to bury their dead

Last edited:

Heart of Storm

Gang Champion
Mar 8, 2019
So to start with I like the idea, there's some good thoughts here.

I think you play too many starting credits, start gangs out at 1000 credits, that way there's choices for the players to make when it comes to starting lists, and what to buy in their first games.

Its not hard to earn a lot of credits in Necromunda and you'll quickly run out of things to spend them on, starting with such high value gangs at the start only exacerbates the problem. 3000 credits is typically how a gang finishes a campaign, not starts it.

I would also reread your rules as they seem to contradict themselves, you say neither team can have Venators, then later say they can if they want and put rules on Venators - which is it?

In another post you said you were new to Necromunda, as such I would start simpler, don't include more complicated rulesets like corruption until you've got to grips with running a campaign first

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Going off your first post on this thread it seems like an interesting campaign for two people and the use of multiple gangs will at least give them plenty of variety to play with.

I don’t think you need to start at 3000 credits as it is just a lot to spend on a gang. I think 1500 would be enough for most people to make a decent sized gang that will last for a long time.

Remember that your win condition is killing all the opposition gangs which rarely happens with injury rolls (1/36 chance of a straight dead result). That will mean a LOT of games need to be played in order for 4 gangs worth of fighters to be killed!

I would probably also add in that you can capture and seek fighters off to the guilders or otherwise as well in order to win as it will also add another mechanic for taking out fighters that fits the “hunter or hunted” idea.

I would drop the rules for chaos or genestealer infected gangs from the campaign completely at this stage. They just add complication for no reason at this stage, unless you wanted to theme the whole campaign around one type of corruption. In that case then the outlaw gangs must have ONE gang that is a pure GSC cult gang or a Chaos Helot gang and that gangs purpose is to capture and convert the good guys. So every time the bad guys capture a fighter instead of just killing them they try and convert them and get to add that fighter to their gang.

I personally wouldn’t worry about using the names special characters unless you really want to. If you do then I would just replace one of the unnamed bounty hunters or hive scum with them.

It also strikes me that it may be a better narrative experience if the same two bounty hunter and their two hive scum turn up to every fight with the gangs themselves changing out. Even though the gangs get bigger and better each game the narrative of the campaign spins around the two sets of bounty hunters trying to capture their prey.

You also need to put some thought into what territories/rackets you are going to have available to each gang in the post game sequence. If you really want to go down a survival campaign setting the dark uprising territories and campaign structure might suit you better than the dominion or Law and Misrule campaigns.

JMISBEST

Ganger
Feb 15, 2021
Going off your first post on this thread it seems like an interesting campaign for two people and the use of multiple gangs will at least give them plenty of variety to play with.

I don’t think you need to start at 3000 credits as it is just a lot to spend on a gang. I think 1500 would be enough for most people to make a decent sized gang that will last for a long time.

Remember that your win condition is killing all the opposition gangs which rarely happens with injury rolls (1/36 chance of a straight dead result). That will mean a LOT of games need to be played in order for 4 gangs worth of fighters to be killed!

I would probably also add in that you can capture and seek fighters off to the guilders or otherwise as well in order to win as it will also add another mechanic for taking out fighters that fits the “hunter or hunted” idea.

I would drop the rules for chaos or genestealer infected gangs from the campaign completely at this stage. They just add complication for no reason at this stage, unless you wanted to theme the whole campaign around one type of corruption. In that case then the outlaw gangs must have ONE gang that is a pure GSC cult gang or a Chaos Helot gang and that gangs purpose is to capture and convert the good guys. So every time the bad guys capture a fighter instead of just killing them they try and convert them and get to add that fighter to their gang.

I personally wouldn’t worry about using the names special characters unless you really want to. If you do then I would just replace one of the unnamed bounty hunters or hive scum with them.

It also strikes me that it may be a better narrative experience if the same two bounty hunter and their two hive scum turn up to every fight with the gangs themselves changing out. Even though the gangs get bigger and better each game the narrative of the campaign spins around the two sets of bounty hunters trying to capture their prey.

You also need to put some thought into what territories/rackets you are going to have available to each gang in the post game sequence. If you really want to go down a survival campaign setting the dark uprising territories and campaign structure might suit you better than the dominion or Law and Misrule campaigns.

The only reason that their starting Credits are so high is because they can't get any more Credits, can't get any extra weapons, armour, grenades, equipment or Wargear and they can't recruit any more members, and the only reason they can't get any extra Gang Members is to make it easier to wipe out the enemy gangs

Reactions: almic85

JMISBEST

Ganger
Feb 15, 2021
So to start with I like the idea, there's some good thoughts here.

I think you play too many starting credits, start gangs out at 1000 credits, that way there's choices for the players to make when it comes to starting lists, and what to buy in their first games.

Its not hard to earn a lot of credits in Necromunda and you'll quickly run out of things to spend them on, starting with such high value gangs at the start only exacerbates the problem. 3000 credits is typically how a gang finishes a campaign, not starts it.

I would also reread your rules as they seem to contradict themselves, you say neither team can have Venators, then later say they can if they want and put rules on Venators - which is it?

In another post you said you were new to Necromunda, as such I would start simpler, don't include more complicated rulesets like corruption until you've got to grips with running a campaign first

They can have Venotars. Sorry

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
The only reason that their starting Credits are so high is because they can't get any more Credits, can't get any extra weapons, armour, grenades, equipment or Wargear and they can't recruit any more members, and the only reason they can't get any extra Gang Members is to make it easier to wipe out the enemy gangs

Right. I misread that paragraph to read that they could buy new weapons and wargear but couldn’t recruit fighters. That makes much more sense.

Still I have said in one of your other threads that 3000 credits can buy a lot of bodies and really bog down the game. If you are both making gangs with a soft cap on numbers then it should be fine to play, but I would be hesitant about allowing more than 15 fighters into a gang or games will bog down.

Even then trying to kill 15 fighters will take ages as there is only something like a 2% chance of killing an injured fighter, so you need to make them roll on the injury table 36 times to average a death. It works out as a lot of injuries needed to end the campaign (4 gangs of 15 fighters needing to take 36 injuries equals 2,160 injuries needed to win the campaign).

Still it would be an interesting and long campaign to ply and the fighters would certainly gain a lot of character from both advances and injuries along the way.