What I've been doing recently, a painting and modelling log...

Raven Morpheus

Gang Champion
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
So, I spent this afternoon making a start on a "monster" figure for Warhammer Quest, and taking stock of the parts I have for the Imperial Guard vehicle kitbash I'll be doing, more on that below the "monster" figure photos.

The "monster" figure in question is GW's Tomb Banshee. I've used Contrast paints for the red and the blue/green. I'm not too happy with it so far, the face is not very well detailed, I don't know if that's because of it's moulding or where I've possibly caked paint on it, and I've got red in places where it shouldn't be, I shall try to rectify that another time.

The splotchyness of the blue/green I don't mind, because, ghost, and some of that may disappear when I drybrush off-white highlights on, but overall the model just looks a little bit of a mess to me at the moment.

Photos, apologies for the blur -

IMG-20221124-165735415.jpg

IMG-20221124-165749665.jpg

So, the Imperial Guard vehicle project...

Back in the mists of time GW had a magazine running called the Citadel Journal, and in two issues of that magazine there were examples and instructions of a kitbash for an APC, called the Centaur.

You can read the Citadel Journal issue with the instructions here, the previous issue, also readable on archive.org, had built examples - https://archive.org/details/CitadelJournalIssue10/Citadel Journal Issue16/page/n27/mode/2up

Anyhow, I'll be buying the new Kasrkin models (I was going to buy Tempestus Scions, but having seen the new Kasrkin they win hands down!), when GW release them as a separate box set, and I'll only be building 5 of them. They'll represent Inquisitorial Storm Troopers, and they'll need an appropriate transport.

So, I'm building a Centaur. Rules wise I guess it'd work like a Chimera but with half the transport capacity. But I'm unlikely to play a game with the Steel Legion/Inquisitorial/Grey Knights army, it's purely a wishlist army.

Parts photos, again apologies for the blur -

Chimera parts -
IMG-20221124-165857200.jpg

Leman Russ parts -
IMG-20221124-165957410.jpg

Alternate resin Chimera turret and resin track guards x2 (I bought 2 sets in case I balls up the first), I'm not sure who these are by but I bought them from an ebayer -
IMG-20221124-170053869.jpg

Chimera rear doors, these will form the side doors on the Centaur, I saw this idea by a guy whose Guard army was detailed in White Dwarf 318, way back in 2006 -
IMG-20221124-170111619.jpg

And because I needed wheels for this I bought a Zinge Industries Taurox conversion set, the Taurox is narrower than the Chimera/Leman Russ, so I'll have to do a little work to make them fit properly -
IMG-20221124-170124928.jpg

So, that's where I am with that, I'm itching to start it, but I'm waiting on some 2mm styrene sheet that I can make the side panels out of, and Royal Mail are having some industrial action issues at the moment so I suspect my styrene order has been caught up in that as I've not yet received the styrene. I want everything together before I make a start...

Thanks as always for looking, C&C welcome.

Last edited:

Raven Morpheus

Gang Champion
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
So, Thursday last, and this evening, I did a few things...

The Tomb Banshee is pretty much done, just a varnish layer and the base to finish, but I'm waiting on green stuff curing on the base...

I also decided to carry on with the Chaos Terminator squad and finished 1 more. So that's two complete, which is one more than when I first attempted them some 15-20 years ago.

I haven't taken any final photos of those two yet though.

I have also been working on the Chimera/Leman Russ kitbash. Progress photos below -

IMG-20221206-000220976.jpg

IMG-20221206-000234531.jpg

IMG-20221206-000242598.jpg

The doors are only white-tacked on, and the turret is just plonked on the top, I need to fabricate a way of securing it onto the hull (probably with magnets). The turret looks a little small to me, I may buy a proper Chimera turret...

Unfortunately as we can see the wheels are comically small on this and the hull rides too high on the axles (it'd ride even higher if I attached the axles properly). They look great on a Taurox, but not on this. Which is a shame because they look great otherwise.

So plan B. I have some resin 1/35 T17 Staghound armoured car wheels on order from an ebayer (it seems the Staghound in 1/35 is a similar size to this kitbash), they should, hopefully, work better. I'll stick a tube/rod between the pairs of wheels and glue them to the hull that way, even if I have to drill through the sidewalls.

Raven Morpheus

Gang Champion
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
One of those restless nights so I decided to do more to the Centaur...

Photos -

I glued the side hatches in place, hopefully they're in the right position for the wheels when I get them! I also put some of the Zinge Industries detail parts on -
IMG-20221206-030711057.jpg

IMG-20221206-030729418.jpg

Put a "drivers" hatch on -
IMG-20221206-030720012.jpg

Magnetized in place the turret -
IMG-20221206-030737883.jpg

IMG-20221206-030746703.jpg

Not sure where to place the exhausts now though, I'll place those when I have the wheels on -
IMG-20221206-030810292.jpg

Raven Morpheus

Gang Champion
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Back in September I bought some Battle Systems fantasy terrain, due to being unwell until recently I've only just now unboxed it...

I purchased one set of the village ruins, so after I had finished faffing with the Centaur (I'm waiting on the wheels so I can't do any more), I sat putting the village ruins together also tonight -

IMG-20221206-040213297.jpg

Close up of one of the 2 identical big buildings-
IMG-20221206-040233414.jpg

The random ruined corners you can make with the left over parts -
IMG-20221206-040218852.jpg

IMG-20221206-040246514.jpg

IMG-20221206-040250113.jpg

I left the walkways and ladders on the frets though, but there's at least 3 of each.

And I also bought a Wizards Tower, I didn't fancy putting it together tonight though, it's a bit more complex than the village ruins set -

IMG-20221206-040754684.jpg

I didn't measure it but I think the village ruins can occupy about 18" square of terrain. With the single set of GW buildings I made earlier in the year, the table will start to look a bit more Mordheim. Just 3 or 4 more village ruins sets and I'll have a full 4x4 table!

Although it strikes me that the Battle Systems stuff has more of a Skyrim look than Mordheim...

Last edited:
Reactions: trollmeat and Ben_S

Brendan Flynn

Ganger
Nov 25, 2016
Esperance WA
Although I really like those wheels, your right that they dont do justice to your build, which is looking pretty sweet. No problem keep them for another build (perhaps a wasteland sand buggy).

Hopefully the new wheels will be more appropriate otherwise tracks would certainly suit.

Its looking good.

Raven Morpheus

Gang Champion
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Now is our winter of discontent...

It seems to have taken me ages to get get around to photographing the 2nd Chaos Terminator I've completed and the Tomb Banshee...

Chaos Terminator, only 6 more to go for the squad...
IMG-20221212-163106260.jpg

IMG-20221212-163125445.jpg

IMG-20221212-163140766.jpg

IMG-20221212-163150776.jpg

Tomb Banshee, I made the flagstones surface on the base myself, I seem to be getting better at it (or got lucky with this one), but still need to find a tidier way of cleaning up the rim -
IMG-20221212-163303256.jpg

IMG-20221212-163326396.jpg

Over the weekend I also assembled and painted the other 2 Sentinels that I bought earlier this year, to go with the other one I painted up earlier this year, to make a squadron of 3 to go in the Steel Legion/Inquisitorial/Grey Knights mash up army, no magnets were used this time -
IMG-20221212-163436420.jpg

IMG-20221212-163452043.jpg

IMG-20221212-163506929.jpg

IMG-20221212-163516237.jpg

To be honest the Tomb Banshee isn't one of my best, despite being a very simple model, the face turned out a little better than it started, but I had a hell of a time keeping the model neat and tidy, and I didn't exactly achieve that in the end anyway. In hindsight I probably should have left as much of the hair pieces as possible separate, or not used Contrast paint (both colours seemed to get everywhere!)...

The Sentinels aren't much better either, I just wanted to get them done, I haven't even drilled the Plasma Cannon barrels (I may do so when I do their bases)!

I really want to get on with the Centaur, but the industrial action at Royal Mail is holding up the wheels I ordered! I also need to do the Sentinels' bases, but I've run out of the necessary texture paint (and some other paints), so I ordered paints from Wayland Games yesterday, but I know they are unlikely to reach me before New Year, because I placed an order with Wayland twelve days ago, and it still hasn't arrived, it's stuck 12 miles away in Chelmsford (not Wayland's fault, it has to be said, usually orders with them only take a few days to reach me!)...

My nearest GW is a 90 minute bus ride away, not exactly useful for just a couple of paints...

Ho, hum. C'est La Vie.

Last edited:

Raven Morpheus

Gang Champion
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Thursday night, or Friday morning, whichever way you want to skin it, at the table...

So, I'm a bit "under the weather" at the moment, have been since Wednesday, spent all day in bed that day. Mother has had something since Monday also. Serves me right for venturing into town on Saturday!

Anyhow I dosed myself up on paracetamol during the day on Thursday and it seemed to alleviate most of my symptoms so I'm just about ticking over...

Spent an hour at the table, mostly frustrating myself with assembling a couple of figures...

A few weeks ago these arrived direct from Northstar -
IMG-20221215-235136976.jpg

These arrived from Wayland on Tuesday -
IMG-20221215-235206990.jpg

A couple of "proof of concepts" from the Frostgrave boxset -
IMG-20221216-010900355.jpg

IMG-20221216-010910125.jpg

And a figure from the Blightkings boxset, his right hand/weapon and his head technically are for another figure you can build from the boxset but I converted the hand/weapon to fit and look slightly different and the head was a drop-on fit. There's so many parts in the box set that you can convert to fit any of the bodies, not just the bodies GW tell you to put them on! Tiny bit of filler needed on the right hand's join (I haven't done that yet) and the left hand/weapon is white tac'd on, so that I can take it off to make painting easier -
IMG-20221216-011041829.jpg

What are they for?

Mordheim.

I am trying to put together a Cult of the Possessed warband. The plan at the moment is to make a starting 8, but still have enough parts to make 7 more figures, including 1 more Mutant and 2 The Possessed (all 3 can/will be built from the Blightkings boxset).

The Blightkings figure represents a Mutant. He's almost WYSIWYG, but he's not actually wearing heavy armour in my starting warband list, for reasons...

I'm not enamoured with the cultists, one represents a Brethren (pointy hat), the other is a Darksoul.

I'm thinking Cawdor bodies with the Frostgrave cultist heads and weaponry might work better.

Luckily I have 2 or 3 Cawdor gangers unbuilt, from when I started to build/paint the gang my gaming buddy was starting with against my starting Van Saar gang back in very early 2020. So I can use those as a quick proof of concept before I buy more...

The warband's Magister will also be a kitbash, but for the moment, for reasons, he's on hold pending further parts...

Last edited:

Raven Morpheus

Gang Champion
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Seconds out, round two...

IMG-20221216-152625125.jpg

IMG-20221216-152635579.jpg

A little bit of position tweaking, bit of green stuff in the head bowl to raise the heads up (especially the Darksoul style head - i.e. the not pointy head) and some hammers for the Darksouls, if I can source them, and I'll be happy with more of these. I may remove the candles though.

Just need to buy 4 more Cawdor bodies and source the aforementioned hammers. Although the two above have a bionic leg each, but I guess I can leave those on...

I'm happy with the above quick "proof of concept". This warband will have to wait until after New Year though, because I doubt parts will arrive in the mail before then.

Something to do at a later date.

Last edited:

Mr. M

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Aug 1, 2019
San Jose, CA
The non-hooded head looks like it's sitting a little low in the... scarfs? collars?... not sure exactly what that stuff is on the Cawdor body. The hooded head looks like a really good fit for the scale. Were the Redemptionist bodies bigger than the Cawdor ones?

The weapon swaps look great!

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
The necro cultists look really good. I’ve been thinking about doing the same thing but as brethren for a witch hunters warband, with the witch hunters using the mini from cursed city as the leader, the two new GW witch hunters as heroes and the Warhammer Underworlds witch hunter warband for the last hero.

The only other Frostgrave sprue that has war hammers on it is the knights sprue, and it only has two and both are right handed. There are also a couple of clubs and plenty of shields that could be useful for a Mordheim warband.

I wouldn’t bother with trying to convert the current Redemptionists miniatures. They are all in wierd poses and assemblies that only really work how they want them to work.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I like the basic FG cultists, but the Cawdor conversions work well too.

The only other Frostgrave sprue that has war hammers on it is the knights sprue, and it only has two and both are right handed.

The barbarian sprue has a two-handed hammer, though perhaps not the right style. If you want hammers, I'd suggest checking out the various Oathmark dwarf sets.

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
I like the basic FG cultists, but the Cawdor conversions work well too.

The barbarian sprue has a two-handed hammer, though perhaps not the right style. If you want hammers, I'd suggest checking out the various Oathmark dwarf sets.

Any idea of the oathmark dwarf arms are shorter or fatter than the Frostgrave arms?

I’m looking at the website and they look a bit more stout than the normal arms and I’m not sure they would suit the Cawdor or match the ones above.

This is a completely selfish question as I need to find hammer arms that fit for my witch hunter warband.

Reactions: trollmeat

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Any idea of the oathmark dwarf arms are shorter or fatter than the Frostgrave arms?

They are a bit shorter in general, though there's some variation in both lines. I have seen dwarf arms put on human bodies. (In particular, the dwarf light infantry come with picks and shovels, which people have used to make miners for Stargrave.) Even if the arms aren't much use though, you could cut the hand and weapon off. I don't have any modern Cawdor to know how well that would work.