What I've been doing recently, a painting and modelling log...

So, I'm having a great start to 2023...

Had the fist online electric bill of the year, about £700 for the last quarter!!?!?!?!?! Just glad we were somewhat in credit otherwise we'd be boned.

Mother is back in hospital with an infection. She keeps getting in a right state and there's little I seem to be able to do about it!

And I've got arthritic pain in my right knee, shoulder and thumb. It's not affecting my typing and mouse usage, but I doubt I can do any modelling/painting.

On the flip side, I've had some stuff come through the door this past week and I've made a plan for the Mordheim stone bridges...

I bought some of those Green Stuff World circular base cutters, which seem to be out of stock almost everywhere, including GSW themselves. I managed to find an online retailer with some in stock though. I'll be trying out the 25mm one in due course to see if I can get a nicer finish to the edges of the green stuff I currently put on bases for dungeon paving/cobblestones. I have seen a youtube video that states that the 25mm cutter isn't quite the right size for the top of GW 25mm round bases and the next one down (22mm) is too small, but I'll see how it looks.

The other day I made the template for my Mordheim stone bridges -
Stone-Bridge-template.png

The green rectangles are steps, they'll be 10mm tall each, I know that's a bit tall, but 5mm wasn't working. I don't like the idea of an arched pavement due to placing models on it, I don't trust them not falling over. The red line is roughly where the pavement will sit across the top and join to the steps. The cutouts at the bottom either end are for placing over the pavements of the river sections I built last year. Overall the bridges will be 9 inches long, about 3-4 inches wide and about 4 inches tall. Quite a bit bigger than I imagined.

Looking at the image now, I realise that I can move the steps further towards the ends of the bridge...

The pre-textured XPS foam, and some 15mm square 6mm tall XPS "bricks", I bought arrived the other day, so I have everything I need to start building these, I am still waiting on a bottle of Mod Podge though, might see if I can venture in to my nearest city (not far from the hospital) and get some in The Works when I go visit mother during the week.

I had a figure I bought at the tail end of last year drop through the door the other day, the image below is one of GW's original paint jobs of the figure -
Untitled-1.jpg

I also bought one of these, from an ebayer, and that arrived the same day as the figure above -
S-l1600.jpg

That's the OG GW Gunther Larenscheld figure and a Grimoire Necris proxy for Warhammer Quest '95 Catacombs of Terror. Getting an OG GW Grimoire Necris was looking about as difficult/expensive as buying an OG GW Dread King on throne model, so rather a futile effort!

Apart from Luthor the hunchback (almost as rare as hens teeth), I now have something to represent all the figures that were in the Catacombs of Terror box set, just need to buy some Ghouls and Zombies to represent those event cards, if I can be bothered. Although, I have enough Skeletons and Ghosts and stuff that I can now run a full undead deck of event cards (when I've done 15 more of the Oathmark Skeletons).

So that's where I'm at start of the year, just wish I wasn't in such a state that I can't get on with stuff.

Thanks as always for looking, C&C welcome.

Last edited:
I'm not looking to part with them, but I should have the Catacombs of Terror stuff somewhere. Nice to know it may be worth a bit, should my energy bills end up as high as yours. I would have to find it all first though...

Reactions: trollmeat
12 days later...

I'm still feeling under the weather, but improving, and mother is back home from hospital. Carers are visiting 3 times a day, so I can't realistically go anywhere and be home to let them in! Hhhhhhh...

Anyhow I've been tinkering with the Imperial Guard Centaur APC this past couple of afternoons, and I'm sticking a fork in it, calling it built, and moving on to painting it, because I don't feel capable of doing more to it and it's been sitting around now for quite a while...

So, this is how it looks pre-paint -

IMG-20230119-145813828.jpg

IMG-20230119-145824186.jpg

IMG-20230119-145832724.jpg

IMG-20230119-145842596.jpg

IMG-20230119-145850766.jpg

IMG-20230119-145900675.jpg

IMG-20230119-145909447.jpg

Certainly not my best scratchbuild/kitbash, you wouldn't believe I scratchbuilt two 40k scale Thunderhawk Gunships 25 years ago!!

The wheels still aren't quite positioned right, but they'll do. I can't work out how to make the resin drum, box and can look like they're attached to the hull, so I've not touched those. Did a bit of green stuff work to "join" the exhausts to the hull better though. And yeah, I know, no rivets!

So, now moving on to the painting of the Centaur APC. Need to wait for the green stuff to cure and a pot of Citadel Corvus black to drop through my door though, so I'll get around to painting this hopefully tomorrow/the weekend. If the putty looks rough I'll blacken it and call it flamer/melta damage...

Last edited:
Did I say I was going to start painting the IG Centaur APC this weekend?...

I nearly didn't. Just been feeling grotty again. I seem to have picked up yet another cold of some sort. Grrr!

Anyhow I did finally get around to spending an hour this afternoon fettling with the IG Centaur APC and making a start on painting it...

Quick photos below -

IMG-20230122-170554556.jpg

IMG-20230122-170604664.jpg

IMG-20230122-170610926.jpg

IMG-20230122-170620641.jpg

As you may notice I've added some very rough rivets along the sides and at the back. They're just styrene rod superglued to the hull, I'm hoping they don't ping off when I get to drybrushing...

The tyres will be painted Citadel Corvus black, and the hubs will remain as they are. Going to do that by hand as I don't trust myself doing it with an airbrush.

My putty work doesn't look quite as horrendous as I thought it would so I'm inclined to not blacken it as though it's flamer/melta damage.

Ok so the IG Centaur APC is finished...

...with some caveats - as I was taking photos I realised I haven't put the Steel Legion insignia decal on, nor a number decal on the red panel! It also needs a final varnish layer, and prior to that I need to remove some fluff that has accrued where I was taking the clay wash off using q-tips!

Anyhow I won't be taking further photos of it (unless I photo it with the Kasrkin unit that I want, if GW ever pull their finger out and release them properly), so these photos will have to do -

IMG-20230124-220413400.jpg

IMG-20230124-220422389.jpg

IMG-20230124-220434286.jpg

IMG-20230124-220447066.jpg

IMG-20230124-220500183.jpg

I'm fairly happy with it, although it's not my best scratchbuild/kitbash, but if you don't get too close it looks decent enough.

If I were to build this again I'd try to use 2mm or 3mm styrene for the hull sides, for a better look. I did start using 2mm styrene, but I found I was having trouble cutting/snapping it, hence why I used 1mm styrene instead. Other than that, I don't think I can solve my inability to cut things accurately...

Last edited:
So, no modelling over the weekend, it was Daytona 24 weekend. Might be the same this weekend coming as it's Bathurst 12hrs weekend...

I did however spend less than an hour today, very early Tuesday morning/late Monday night, whichever way you want to slice it, assembling 9 Oathmark Skeletons with bows.

Quick, very bad, photos below...

Assembly line, plastic shot glasses with all the parts in so I don't lose them -
IMG-20230131-005801609.jpg

And the final results -
IMG-20230131-012011482.jpg

There's no defined way of attaching the quivers, so I just slapped them on as best as I could -
IMG-20230131-012054166.jpg

Like their sword/shield counterparts they're a bit fiddly to pose, but EMA Plastic Weld makes it easy to glue these as it's a hot weld action glue and literally melts the joints together (and it can unmelt the join if you don't leave it alone!)!

Going to leave these to properly set and paint them another time and make greenstuff flagstone bases for them, like all my WHQ '95 models.

Midweek Man O'War night...

My usual image hoster, imgbb, appears to be down at the moment so I've had to use postimage...

Middle of last year I bought an OG GW Empire Greatship, to start my first "starter" fleet. The second "starter" fleet I buy will probably be a wholly 3d printed Bretonnian fleet.

A week or two ago I bought the rest of my Empire "starter" fleet - 6 Wargalleys, 3 Hell-hammers, 3 Ironfists and 3 Wolfships, they're all resin 3d printed proxies, I haven't yet received the Hell-hammers and Wargalleys though, they're in the post on the way to me, I bought them from a seller on etsy, the Ironfists and Wolfships came from an ebayer.

The Ironfists and Wolfships, I need to buy or make masts for these -
IMG-20230202-021013847.jpg

IMG-20230202-021026254.jpg

I found redesigned versions of the Magic and Man O'War card decks online at the seaofclaws forum, so at the same time as ordering the ships I also did some prep-work and had the Magic and Man O'War card decks printed for me by printerstudio.co.uk, £25ish and they turned out pretty nice. They are Skat sized cards, the same size as the OG Warhammer Quest 1995 cards, so I'm assuming GW used the same size for Man O'War -

IMG-20230201-235751181.jpg

IMG-20230201-235825235.jpg

Continued in next post...

Last edited:
Continuing on from the last post...

Also the middle of last year, I bought the rulebook, the terrain markers and the circular tokens/markers (I can't cut circles very well).

A while back I setup, ready for printing, the counters and stuff (also found on seaofclaws forum) that I can't buy (due to rarity and expense), as they are straight edged they're trivial to make. Tonight I printed them onto A4 label sheets, and sat and fixed those to A4 1mm greyboard (white coloured in this case), GW's OG cardstock is 1mm so I matched that thickness, and then I cut the whole lot out.

I elected not to print the blaze and damage tokens, because they're redundant, for reasons, see below...

Anyhow, 2 hours later...

...the ship cards for my Empire fleet, these are resized to make them smaller than the originals, for table space conservation reasons. I was going to get them professionally printed, or put them in card sleeves, but decided to "laminate" them by covering them in sticky back plastic, on their fronts, so they can be written on with dry wipe markers, plus it's a less expensive option. I believe I made these Tarot card sized -
IMG-20230202-020605061.jpg

Close up of one of them -
IMG-20230202-020622915.jpg

Bag o'counters. It was as I reached the last two sheets of these (there were 5) that I realised these are also redundant due to having resized and "laminated" the ship cards! I carried on cutting them out anyway, because, Mastermind...
IMG-20230202-020637235.jpg

The cards for the Wizards, I "laminated" these also, also making their associated counters pretty much redundant...
IMG-20230202-020654102.jpg

Range rulers, I had to make the Elf range ruler in two parts, and then "laminate" it to join it, because it's just slightly longer than an A4 sheet -
IMG-20230202-020707026.jpg

IMG-20230202-020715689.jpg

Torpedo, and turning templates, and the compass, the compass isn't exactly circular, did I mention I can't cut circles well! I think I need a split pin for the arrow, or I may use 2 disc magnets...
IMG-20230202-020736567.jpg

Tables card -
IMG-20230202-020755115.jpg

So, I need to check the parts list, but I believe I now have a complete set of the core box of Man O'War. I also have scans of the Seas of Blood and Plague Fleet OG cardstock, found on seaofclaws, that I'll probably print out at a later date, certainly the relevant ship cards as I collect fleets...

Just need to print 2x a reference sheet I came across, buy a 2nd fleet (paint/assemble all ships of both fleets), get round to my gaming buddy's apartment, and then we can have a game of Man O'War...

Last edited:
Ok so the IG Centaur APC is finished...

...with some caveats - as I was taking photos I realised I haven't put the Steel Legion insignia decal on, nor a number decal on the red panel! It also needs a final varnish layer, and prior to that I need to remove some fluff that has accrued where I was taking the clay wash off using q-tips!

Anyhow I won't be taking further photos of it (unless I photo it with the Kasrkin unit that I want, if GW ever pull their finger out and release them properly), so these photos will have to do -

View attachment 168477
View attachment 168478
View attachment 168479
View attachment 168480
View attachment 168481

I'm fairly happy with it, although it's not my best scratchbuild/kitbash, but if you don't get too close it looks decent enough.

If I were to build this again I'd try to use 2mm or 3mm styrene for the hull sides, for a better look. I did start using 2mm styrene, but I found I was having trouble cutting/snapping it, hence why I used 1mm styrene instead. Other than that, I don't think I can solve my inability to cut things accurately...

That looks superb! Like an actual real world APC! Kinda reminds me of the Quad Gun tractor kit I had in the 90s (most of which is now on my sump ship).

Reactions: Raven Morpheus
A weird ten days...

Didn't do any model stuff last weekend, because it was the Bathurst 12hr weekend. During the week I was feeling "under the weather", seems to be a running theme recently! So, no model stuff was done during the week. Then early yesterday morning I decided to start painting the 9 skeletons with bows that I assembled a while back.

I finished the skeletons today. I also did a test of the colour I want on the robes of my Mordheim Cult of the Possessed Brethren/Darksouls...

Turns out Citadel Steel Legion drab is the colour I'm looking for (more on that below) -
IMG-20230212-142443068.jpg

There's no skeletons in my closet -
IMG-20230212-142607074.jpg

IMG-20230212-142625279.jpg

So, the CotP Brethren test model...

...The recipe is this -

• Abaddon black undercoat
  • Steel Legion drab base colour
  • Agrax Earthshade (not the new formula one), applied liberally, not really paying much attention to what I was doing. Now, either I need to shake the pot, or there's something odd going on, because it turned out rather glossy (happened on the "bronze" on the skeletons also).
  • Rough highlights of Steel Legion drab mixed with increasing amounts of Vallejo game air dead flesh (which is more a sand colour and far less green than the game color dead flesh I've used on my Steel Legion vehicles)
  • Windsor & Newton Galeria matt varnish all over, mostly to flatten down the shiny pools of Agrax

I think when I get around to painting up the CotP Brethren/Darksouls proper I'll thin my Agrax with some Lahmiam medium or contrast medium and apply it a bit more carefully, or at least in multiple layers so that I get slightly less dark/more subtle pools...

The bases for the skeletons are a bit hit and miss, I started out by applying too much green stuff. The paint recipe for the skeletons is the same as for the other 9 I did a while back, apart from using Citadel Blood Angels red contrast paint on the bows.

Just 6 skeletons with spears to assemble/paint and that'll be all the skeletons I need for WHQ '95 done...

Last edited:
Haven't actually built then yet but I got the Frostgrave heads for the same purpose. Good to know they look right.

Reactions: trollmeat
Finally, after 8 months of stuff getting in the way, I managed to get round my gaming buddy's apartment yesterday (16 miles away, 2hrs by bus) and had a game of something...

IMG-20230214-140131819.png

A couple of dungeons of Warhammer Quest '95 were played. It's always nice playing with painted miniatures. Need to get the critters painted...

Last edited:
I'm getting bored with skeletons, only 6 left to build/paint (that I need), but getting bored with them nonetheless. So, I spent a couple of hours today at the table, assembling my starter Cult of the Possessed warband for Mordheim...

In Town Cryer "magazine" they showcased Paul Sawyer's test warband for Cult of the Possessed, and he used the metal Cawdor models of the time, so it's quite fitting that I've used Cawdor models, I think.

The Magister, a slight nod to the OG GW models, big honking mace (Deathwing), big sword/knife (Frostgrave), hooded head (Frostgrave), the body/hands are from GW's Redemptionists, he is a bit bigger than the Brethren/Darksouls. -
IMG-20230217-161448513.jpg

4 Brethren -
IMG-20230217-161540293.jpg

2 Darksouls (I started painting one the other day when I did the robes colour test), unfortunately due to the poses in the Cawdor box set, I had to use the bionic leg poses. It was either that or the gimp looking running pose or the heavy/leader pose and I don't like those for this application -
IMG-20230217-161508830.jpg

And the Mutant that I assembled mid-December '22 -
IMG-20230217-161559604.jpg

Everything is wysiwyg apart from the Darksouls whose axes are in fact hammers in my list. Their axes may get replaced at a later date because I have an idea for how to make my own hammers as I can't seem to source any that I like the look of...

There's some green stuff gap filling to do, particularly on the Magister, and some sprue attachment points to scrape, but other than that they're all ready for paint.

Also need to make green stuff cobblestone bases for the Magister, Mutant and Darksouls.

Last edited: