What I've been doing recently, a painting and modelling log...

Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Whilst watching the TotalEnergies Spa 24 today/tonight/tomorrow I was going to push on with the Bretonnian Knight for WHQ '95. However having sat down at the table tonight I got sidetracked...

I decided to have another crack at airbrushing a power/force sword...

I changed airbrush, from my cheap Chinese clone of a £300 Iwata, to my Harder & Steenbeck Ultra. Seems my Chinawata is only good for doing stuff like priming, base coats or spraying the side of a Leman Russ...

Some photos of tonights "progress" below, the usual disclaimer applies - mobile phone camera so dodgy quality -

This was done with Vallejo Magic Blue, Ice Blue and Citadel Contrast Black Templar (sprayed through the airbrush), with a pure white edge highlight applied via hairy stick. I tried putting a red "glow" on the Inquisition symbol, using Citadel paints, Mephiston Red (air) and Troll Slayer Orange mixed into the red (an eyeballed 50/50 mix) and a final highlight in the middle of pure Troll Slayer Orange, and finished off with a shade of Citadel Carroburg Crimson around the recessed edges of the symbol.
IMG-20210801-001900500-HDR.jpg

I didn't bother using the airbush for the "red glow" on the back and the rest of the back of the sword hasn't come out quite as nice as the front. But, it'll do for the moment.
IMG-20210801-004125596-HDR.jpg

I tested the idea of doing the lettering all over the model in a blue/white kind of look. Looks OK to me. I did it with Citadel Kantor Blue, washed with Citadel Nuln Oil, then drybrushed with Vallejo Ice Blue. I think I need to drybrush it with pure white though as it doesn't quite "pop" as it is so far.
IMG-20210801-005444931-HDR.jpg

IMG-20210801-005521105-HDR.jpg

I undercoated properly, and then base coated and did a bit of shading on one of the heads, although I think I've chipped the paint a little on it's "nose". I used Citadel Contrast Tallasar Blue on the eyes for a piercing blue look. I've also done a Citadel Drakenhof Nightshade pin wash all over.
IMG-20210801-020324533-HDR.jpg

I'm liking how it's looking in general so far, although I could probably do better on the Nemesis Force Sword.

Thanks as always for looking, C&C welcome.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
So, I couldn't leave the back of the Nemesis Force Sword that I airbrushed as it was, so I redid it tonight, although I again didn't bother with the red "glow" on the Inquisition symbol.

IMG-20210801-212807979-HDR.jpg

Looks better, it even looks a bit better than the front. I used Vallejo Game Color Magic Blue and Ice blue again, however for the darker areas I used Vallejo Game Color Night Blue, and added a small area in the middle of those darker areas using Citadel Contrast Black Templar. Highlights were again pure white, in this case Vallejo Game Color.

Now that I've done this a few times now, and adjusted my airbrush so that I don't have such a stiff trigger, and also bothered tonight to thin my paint the proper way (thinner, then paint as needed, in the mixing shot glass), I feel I can do this on all 5 of the Grey Knights and have it look reasonable. Need to repaint the front of that sword now though, or at least the dark areas...

I also cracked on with the Bretonnian Knight for WHQ '95 tonight.

I am so impressed with the back of the shield that I thought I should take a photo of it before attaching it, as you won't see it much once it's on the model. Sorry for the blur on the photo.
IMG-20210802-003749527-HDR.jpg

That was done with a base of Citadel Wraithbone (pot version, not the rattle can version) followed by Citadel Contrast Wyldwood. I couldn't have done a better looking wood if I had tried with other paints. Of course it helps there is an actual wood grain cast on the back of the shield.

And he's done.
IMG-2136.jpg

You can see the back of the shield in this photo, it looks great for 5 minutes, and 2 layers of paint.
IMG-2137.jpg

Yes, I know, there's a black space in the middle of his back. I don't see as well as my camera, despite using a magnifying headset, and I didn't feel I could get my brush right up into that area, so I went as far as I felt I could and then left that small area black, instead of dark blue.

Some of this model was so poorly cast that I am wondering if I inadvertantly bought a recast from eBay, or if it's just a bad cast by GW. The fact that it's so poorly cast in some areas made it slightly non-trivial to paint and make those areas look reasonable.

Anyhow, I'm reasonably happy with how he turned out. Only 4 other original or alternative WHQ '95 player character models left to paint now...

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Pushed on a little with the Grey Knights last night, well, early this morning...

Decided to bite the bullet and get all the airbrushing done on the Nemesis Force Swords. Used my cheap Chinese copy of an Iwata Custom Micron instead of the Harder & Steenbeck Ultra (as I prefer the trigger pull on the Chinawata), and it worked better tonight (than the first time I used it) for this task.

Photos below, taken quickly with my mobile, so, usual disclaimer applies.

Fronts of the swords, you can see that I've redone my test sword above the glowy Inquisition symbol, just couldn't leave it as it was having done the back better...
IMG-20210807-045928830-HDR.jpg

Backs of the swords, sorry for the terrible angle, y'all just have take it as read that they look equally as good on both sides...
IMG-20210807-045909460-HDR.jpg

Quite happy with how these look at "tabletop" viewing distance. Although if you get up close they're not too great, but they'll do. I'm no Kenny Boucher, but it's really not a difficult technique, although obviously he (and every other youtuber) makes it look ridiculously easy. My main problem with this technique was/is proper paint thinning and practice (and managing my airflow)...

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
So, I'm stuck on procrastinating over how to do the lettering on my Grey Knights Terminators, because the way I want to do it isn't quite working - white lettering, dark blue shading, the white being drybrushed over a Vallejo Game Color Glacier Blue drybrush, over the dark blue. The lettering detail is too shallow in places to take a drybrush and it's just not "popping", so I'm kind of reconsidering that idea, but I know that I don't want to paint it all gold - it's just too boring and doesn't stand out enough against the Grey Knights Steel main colour imho.

Anyhow, I thought I'd paint something else when I sat down at the table last night...

I recently got around to buying Warlord Games' Judge Dredd I Am The Law starter set, this is the Street Judge from that set -

IMG-2143.jpg
IMG-2144.jpg

Wish I could paint (and photograph) as well as the guys who did the examples Warlord have on their site and the starter set packaging...

However, it'll do, as they say.

The model lets itself down though, in a lot of places it's not very well cast, and detail is shallow (or missing altogether). I had intended to buy Judge Dredd on his Lawmaster, but I'm rethinking that idea now.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Before it got too hot (for me) today, I sat down this morning for about an hour and slapped some paint on the Rookie Judge from the Judge Dredd I Am The Law starter set.

IMG-2181.jpg
IMG-2182.jpg

I didn't spend long on this model, I used Citadel Contrast paint mostly. It's worse than the Street Judge in terms of it's casting. So I didn't bother doing anything other than liberally slapping on paint and doing a wash on areas where I didn't use Contrast paint. Hence why I didn't bother doing the bodysuit colour in between the kneepads and boots (and ditto on the arms). I just slapped Warp Lightning on those areas of the arms/legs and left it at that.

Oddly, both the colours I used on the bodysuit and the pads/boots/gloves turned out pretty much like my non-Contrast paint attempts on the Street Judge!

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Sat down today for about an hour and tried to move the Grey Knights forward, at least finalise some of the colours I'm using through all 5 models -

IMG-20210909-170249297-HDR.jpg
IMG-20210909-170319670-HDR.jpg

So far so good.

I was tempted to paint the hoses on the arms green, as I like Citadel Contrast Warp Lightning, but instead I opted for Talassar Blue (over Wraithbone). Just fits better in my overall aim of having an overall blue look to the models.

The "gold" is Vallejo Model Air Silver with Citadel Contrast Snakebite Leather over it. Looks OK to me. Better than my usual "gold" and quicker to do.

I used Citadel Contrast Black Templar over Wraithbone on the sword hilt, and the ribbed undersuit areas in the joints, although a couple of the joints had Black Templar over the existing Grey Knights Steel as I forgot to put Wraithbone on them and couldn't be bothered to go back and do it...

Still a few small areas I didn't paint today, because I forgot...

I'm also still stuck on procrastinating on the lettering all over the model. I have some spare shoulder pads now for tests, and I think a Citadel Contrast paint over a white (probably Vallejo) will be my saviour...

I've heard Citadel Contrast paint is a bit fragile, they're not wrong, I had to go back and redo a couple of areas of the "gold" as I had somehow scuffed them!

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
I really need to stop buying stuff!

I was going to sit down this afternoon and do an hour or two of painting and get two of the Grey Knights done to the point where they are all base coloured, leaving just the Justicar...

...hayfever had other plans and my right eye started watering around about lunchtime so I haven't been able to see properly to paint.

I could however see properly to do some gluing!

So I started on the Stone Trolls (or Rockgut Troggoths in the new vernacular) I bought this weekend - these are for Warhammer Quest 1995 as I don't/won't play AoS. I settled for the newer plastics because the OG metal ones, in good condition seem to go for as much each as a box of three of these!!

I am trying to go with poses/parts that look a bit like the OG metal models. The upper body of the big axe guy is white tacked on, as I will need to get at the belly to paint it. The heads are also white tacked on, they may change - there's 9 to choose from! Upon inspection of my references I appear to have the body of the rock holding guy wrong, I should have used the belly/legs that the big axe guy is using (for the more straight bodied pose the OG metal one had). Going to have to try unlguing/prising that guy apart now! Sadly there's only 1 neck that is looking directly forward!
img-20210913-164539208-hdr-jpg.jpg

Bag O'bits. I've not decided on which bits to use yet for the third Stone Troll, I need to check my references for what the old metal Stone Trolls looked like and see if any parts look/pose similar -
IMG-20210913-164555771-HDR.jpg

I still have the sprue with the 2 heads with the upward pointing ears and the necklaces, it's stuffed in the box. I won't be using those 2 heads (or most of the others to be honest), and the necklaces will get attached almost last minute, so that I can paint all of them without problems getting at them.

Attachments

• IMG-20210913-164539208-HDR.jpg
    IMG-20210913-164539208-HDR.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
I managed to pry apart the belly/torso I had glued. And so, we have the poses finalised, along with head choices (the heads are white tacked on). The big axe wielding guy's torso/belly is still white tacked also, so I can get at the belly for painting.

I took some quick photos of each, and put them into an image with the OG metal sculpts by GW whose poses I've tried to emulate (it's not hard, I think the parts are somewhat designed to do that). I flipped horizontally the image of the GW troll holding the double handed axe to match the new plastic one's pose somewhat.

Apologies for the lighting/blur on my examples!
Untitled-1-copy.jpg

And some spare parts -
IMG-20210913-184506388-HDR.jpg

This is one of the OG paint jobs from circa. 1995 -
Roleplay-Book-3.jpg

I have come across a good tutorial by a German modeller, on youtube, and I will try following that (despite it being in German), mostly for the blue/grey skin tone, as I like the way they turned out almost like GW's Rockgut Troggoth box art examples -

Hopefully I can achieve a look I like, as that tutorial seems a very very easy way of getting that blue/grey look...

The best I can come up with for doing the more "day-glo" blue look would be to start with Citadel Caledor Sky, then a blue ink wash, then a drybrush of Caledor Sky over the top, with perhaps Alaitoc Blue, Hoeth Blue and perhaps Blue Horror highlights (probably all drybrushed on). But I'm yet to test that theory...

No idea where to start for a circa. 1995 paint scheme, because I doubt exact colour matches exist these days, even from Coat D'arms! My best guess would be starting with Citadel The Fang and/or Fenrisian grey, then a blue ink wash/glaze like that German guys tutorial...

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
So, I spent some time today doing some test paint schemes for my Stone Troll's skin tones on my spare Stone Troll parts...

First up, Citadel Contrast Akhelian Green over an off-white from the Vallejo Model Air range. I tried this because I had seen Stone Trolls done with this and it looked more to the blue side than on my example. -
IMG-20210915-161405711-HDR.jpg

Next up, I used the paints that GW have listed on the back of the box - Stegadon Green, Nuln Oil, Thunderhawk Blue, and Fenrisian Grey, in that order, the last two were dryrbrushed on. Again over off-white. -
IMG-20210915-202850271-HDR.jpg

Citadel Caledor Sky for a 00s look, unfortunately I overdid the Vallejo blue ink wash (I didn't dilute it any), and I don't have any ready mixed highlight tones, so I just stopped at a drybrush of Caledor Sky over the blue ink washed Caledor Sky. Again over off-white. -
IMG-20210915-202835254-HDR.jpg

Back of both of those two tests -
IMG-20210915-202906659-HDR.jpg

And then I tried what I had seen in that German guy's video. In the previous tests I didn't bother with the chest/alternate skin colour, but I tested it on this one. -
IMG-20210915-202655935-HDR.jpg
IMG-20210915-202716819-HDR.jpg

IMG-20210915-202748360-HDR.jpg

So, there we have it.

Akhelian Green just doesn't look good to me, too much to the green side. Plus I have no idea what colours I'd use to highlight it!

GW's colour instructions are nowhere near the box art, although perhaps that's because I heavily drybrushed on Thunderhawk Blue/Fenrisian Grey, instead of layering up the Thunderhawk Blue, I don't know?

Caledor Sky to me would look the right blue to start from for that 00s look, but I didn't help myself by overdoing the blue ink wash, which changed the tone of the Caledor Sky, I should have somehow kept it to the crevices. I also think I should have put it on over a black undercoat, not off-white...

The last test, following the German youtubers example, to the mk1 eyeball, looks pretty good, not a million miles away from the colours on the box art.

I was a bit heavy on the drybrushing though (on all examples) and lost quite a bit of the blue colour/shading in the final test. Hopefully I can do better on the final examples.

Also need to work on the Rakarth Flesh/Drakenhof Nightshade/Pallid Wych Flesh skin colour method a bit, as it didn't quite turn out as I had hoped on the chest, but not bad for a quick test.

I will be going with that final example though, as it definitely, to me, looks the best in terms of colours. I'll also add a couple of nods to the early 90s and 00s schemes, like red toe/finger nails, light coloured skin inside the ears etc.

I also did a test for my Grey Knights lettering problem. It almost worked, but in the end I'm calling it a fail. -
IMG-20210915-203049747-HDR.jpg

I was hoping the Contrast paint (Leviadon Blue) would not colour the white underneath it on the raised areas of the lettering. But, even over a gloss coat, it did.

So, back to the drawing board on that idea. I'm tempted to just use Contrast Tallassar Blue over the Grey Knights Steel, and call it a blue "force glow", but that might be a bit too much with it all over the model...

I think the reason white lettering over dark blue "pops" in the example I've seen is because the model has a darker steel colour than Citadel Grey Knights Steel. How the person actually painted the lettering so crisply I don't know, I can only imagine they picked out each letter individually with a tiny tiny brush using a microscope!?!

Fortunately I have 4 more shoulder pads I can test on...

Last edited:

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I don't blame you for going with the newer trolls, but I much prefer the old metals to those new ones.

Clever use of spare parts to test paint schemes on though. I don't remember seeing that before.

Reactions: Raven Morpheus
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Thanks. It was somewhat of a learning exercise, sometimes I don't want to just dive in, try something and ruin a model, so if I've got spare parts (or can buy a few) I'll use them first. Helps get things straight in my head and reduces chances of a balls up and subsequent need to strip and repaint.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Pushed on with the Grey Knights tonight.

I took the plunge and used Citadel Talassar Blue, over Vallejo Model Air Silver, and a coat of Windsor and Newton Galeria Gloss Varnish (just to make sure I had as smooth a surface as possible), on the lettering all over the model I've been using to finalise my paint scheme for this squad.

IMG-20210918-021915335-HDR.jpg
IMG-20210918-021950861-HDR.jpg

It's not what I originally wanted, but it's not as garish as I expected it to be. Although the shoulder pad on his right arm isn't very good, because it had several coats of paint before hand, I may replace that shoulder pad...

I did one the other day, and tonight I also got another 2, to the point where all I have left to do is the lettering and the heraldry board thing on the right shoulder pad on each of them, so that just leaves the Justicar to get to the same stage.

IMG-20210918-022027463-HDR.jpg

The guy in the middle now has a 40mm base, as I bought one the other day, but I've no need to attach it yet, so I've left him on a 30mm base.

So, the lettering to do on the 3 above, the Justicar to get to the same stage and then I'll go back over all 5 of them and do some shading on the details that aren't blue/gold/steel, and add some highlights...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. M and Ben_S
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Been pushing on with the Grey Knights this weekend, and I'm sticking a fork in them, they've been on my "work area" for 3+ months now!

Friday night I painted the lettering on the 3 remaining "brothers" and painted the Justicar to the same level. Then last night I put down some very quick (not very neat or thin in places), selective highlights on all 5 models.

IMG-2184.jpg
IMG-2185.jpg
IMG-2186.jpg
IMG-2187.jpg
IMG-2188.jpg

Group shot, sorry for the blur, my point and shoot digital camera didn't like photographing these models this morning!
IMG-2189.jpg

I'm a little bit peeved with Citadel's Mordant Earth! The last two times I've used it, I've put it on thick over a gloss layer - and it cracked up great and looked brilliant when I took photos hours later, but then a couple of days later it had cracked up even more and ended up as little bits.

I put it down on these bases with no gloss layer and not particularly thick, and it's not cracked up much at all. Perhaps in a day or two it will have cracked up nicely, I don't know!

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Thanks. The blue didn't turn out as vibrant as I thought it would. Which is good. It's not too dominating. I thought it was going to look awful, but actually it kind of works. Still, not what I originally wanted but hey ho, it's better than being painted "gold".

I wonder if I can finish the Troggoths, and a couple of other models I'm itching to paint, before Xmas...

Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Made a start today on the Rockgit Troggolls, er, Rockgirl Troggiths, er, Rockgut Triggles, sod it, the Stone Trolls!

The light skin areas are pretty much done (apart from the inside of the ears) but I need to do a little bit of touch up work on the bellies, because somehow I got blue from the Citadel Drakenhof Nightshade wash and blue glaze layers in places they shouldn't be! I think I went in a bit heavy in places with the 2 blue glaze layers because I've got dark pooling in the crevices as though I used it as a wash, which I'm not sure is the result I should have. But these are looking OK so far.

The next step is to highlight the skin/scales.

The trio so far -
IMG-20211001-134752483-HDR.jpg

I carefully cut off, and broke at the hand glue point, the 2 handed axe as I realised it would be easier to paint that troll if I did that and glued the body/legs together than having the body/legs apart with the axe attached. The hand needs a 2nd glaze layer like the rest of the model...
IMG-20211001-134824370-HDR.jpg

I bought some 50mm round resin dungeon paved bases, as these trolls are to be used in Warhammer Quest '95 these bases will fit nicely with the board tiles.
IMG-20211001-134856942-HDR.jpg

I'm procrastinating on whether to do the large crystals on the models (such as on the big rock and the axes) as just plain grey rocks, like the OG metal models, or as actual crystals as is the fashion these days. I've seen an example of how to do them as crystals with zenithal priming and Contrast Paint that looks good, but I don't know if I can pull off the zenithal priming...

Luckily I have the spare bits to practice on...

One day I'll get some models that I can just sit down and paint without the need to experiment or learn stuff!

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Did some more on the Stone Trolls over the weekend but I was rather distracted with playing Skyrim, which I restarted playing last week, so not much painting was done...

I have however highlighted the blue skin tone/scales, tidied up the belly areas a bit, and blocked out, with Citadel Wraithbone, all the areas where I intend to use Citadel Contrast paint. Apart from their teeth, finger and toe nails, it's all leather, wood, and bone coloured, so doing it all Wraithbone was the best way to proceed. I may end up also using Citadel Contrast paints on the teeth, finger and toe nails though.

I left all the rocks and crystals in the undercoat colour as I'm still procrastinating on how to paint them...

These look better to the mk1 eyeball, I'm hoping my final photos with my point and shoot digital camera do these better justice than the photos so far...

IMG-20211004-163310113-HDR.jpg
IMG-20211004-163336621-HDR.jpg

Last edited: