What I've been doing recently, a painting and modelling log...

Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Somehow I managed to push on with the Stone Trolls this week, I spent several evenings doing them, and now they're finished!

2 handed axe guy front and back -
IMG-2191.jpg
IMG-2193.jpg

Big stone guy front and back -
IMG-2195.jpg
IMG-2197.jpg

Single handed axe guy front and back -
IMG-2199.jpg
IMG-2201.jpg

I am reasonably happy with these, there are areas I could have done better on or achieved a different colour on (the skin isn't grey enough imho), but overall they turned out OK, probably the best 3 miniatures I've done recently.

Thanks as always for looking, C&C welcome.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Spent an hour or two at the table tonight, seeing as I hadn't felt like it over the weekend, due to my part of the world being a little too humid for me...

As many will know I've been on a quest this past year or so. A quest to obtain original GW models, where the cost isn't prohibitive, or alternatives based on the aesthetics of the video games, where I don't like the original GW models, for the player characters, including expansions, of Warhammer Quest 1995.

That quest is close to being over...

I have 4 of the player characters left to do.

First up, the Wood Elf Wardancer, this is the original model, I like it, can't find an alternative and it doesn't exist in the first video game (not sure about the sequel?), so I had nothing to work from to make a kitbashed alternative. This came to me with a broken sword, so 5 minutes of drilling, a bit of brass tube (Albion Alloys) later and this is what I had tonight -
IMG-20211011-204609696-HDR.jpg

A bit of JB Weld Steel Reinforced 5 minute epoxy, and a dab of superglue on the outside and we have a half decent fix, not sure how strong it's going to be though. I glued him onto a slotta base for painting, but I have no idea how I'm going to fit him to a resin base, as there's a very very very tiny contact point on each foot!!
IMG-20211011-205440277-HDR.jpg

Some while ago, months, I bought a couple of Warcry Spire Tyrants Pit Fighter models, because I don't like the original GW WHQ '95 Pit Fighter model. I'm still working on this guy, but the elements of the original are there, apart from the punch dagger, I just don't seem to be able to make one that looks good, so far -
IMG-20211011-205025632-HDR.jpg

I also bought the original Trollslayer, probably the best such model GW have ever done for a Trollslayer, I had to strip it of course as it was an ebay purchase -
IMG-20211011-205054643-HDR.jpg

And last but not least, my alternative to the Imperial Noble. Besides rarity/price, again, I'm not keen on the Imperial Noble original model. So I bought an Empire Captain from Warhammer Fantasy Battle (circa 2006) with hammer and pistol, because in the 2nd WHQ video game you can play as an Empire Captain, with pistol and hammer. Plus, in the lore, Empire Captains are... ...Imperial Nobles. So easy swap.
IMG-20211011-205102397-HDR.jpg

I've been wanting to start painting this Empire Captain for a while now so I made a start tonight. I don't know what I primed him with, I suspect it's Vallejo Gloss Black primer, but I wish I hadn't because I've had trouble telling what's what! Anyhow I put down most of the base colours/undercoats ready for Citadel Contrast paint and other paints.
IMG-20211011-220309290-HDR.jpg
IMG-20211011-220340059-HDR.jpg

The armour is done with Vallejo Metal Color Dark Aluminium. The metal on the pistol is Vallejo Metal Color Magnesium. I'm not sold on either yet, for one thing they look a bit too shiny! But I'll see how I progress with highlighting both.

The cloak will be done with red Citadel Contrast paints on the outside and white on the inside. And his cloth clothing will be an off-white (probably finally mostly Citadel Pallid Wych Flesh) with red in the pleats. I plan on using Citadel Contrast paint for the red in the pleats, but looking at how small those areas are I'm wondering if I shouldn't just paint the whole lot off-white!

There's some details to pick out but I didn't have my references to hand so I wasn't sure what colours they should be, so I left them...

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
So, it's one of those nights again, where I'm up until all hours and feeling incapable of putting brush to model...

Way back in the day I got into Warhammer, of any flavour, mostly by reading the novels and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1st edition and it's supplements, along with issues of White Dwarf. I loved the Old World setting but I was never keen on Warhammer Fantasy Battles as a game. I do however wish I had started an Empire army.

Recently I've been playing Total War Warhammer II, and I've had the urge to actually start that Empire army.

So, I went out and bought 7 Empire Knightly Orders models. These are all plastic and seem a little hard to come by at reasonable prices, but I found an ebayer who also has their own website, and they have several lots of these on that site, in various levels of condition, mostly painted. I didn't feel like stripping other people's paint off so I plumped for these 7 which, apart from the gold on one horse's armour, are only undercoated.

This is how they came to me, as we can see a couple don't sit nicely and the riders are loose anyway, I didn't group them tighter to avoid having riders fall off -
IMG-20211015-015726384-HDR.jpg

I wanted to do a body swap on the champion and standard bearer, so I pulled them apart, fortunately people don't seem to use glues that do much of a job welding plastics together -
IMG-20211015-020046718-HDR.jpg

IMG-20211015-020059574-HDR.jpg

I then glued some of the parts back together, I will be buying a sword and head to go on the champion, as he had a lance and a Knights of the White Wolf head, which I don't want, as these will be Reiksguard -
IMG-20211015-020653733-HDR.jpg

IMG-20211015-020835974-HDR.jpg

I stuck neodymium magnets into the horses and between the legs of each rider, so they sit better, this is an example of the magnet in the horse -
IMG-20211015-025312598-HDR.jpg

And here we have all the runners and riders ready to go, much better than they started out and I can pick them up by the rider's head -
IMG-20211015-025406646-HDR.jpg

One or two of the lances look like bananas, I'll see if I can fix that (probably not), and there's a few seams to fix in the horse armour, other than that though these models are almost pristine right down to mould lines needing a scraping, the undercoat they have on them looks fairly thin and usable. The banner is supposed to have something on it's top so I'll buy a part for that.

2 horses are missing their tails, so parts will be bought for those also.

3 of the shields are unfortunately of the Knights Panther variety, but I can fix that without buying parts, by sanding them flat and making decals of Reiksguard icons to go on the shields.

I'll be buying more units to go in my Empire army, but like the Steel Legion army I want to collect, progress will probably be slow on obtaining units, but I have a start...

Last edited:

Mr. M

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Aug 1, 2019
San Jose, CA
What a fun project! I similarly got my start with WFRP way back when, and then dabbled in WFB... but on my childhood allowance, I could never really get much of an army going. Looking back, I wish I had bought some of those old 4th/5th edition WFB Empire models - they're excellent and really push that nostalgia button for me! Good luck with bringing these knights back from neglect!

Reactions: Raven Morpheus
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Been on a bit of a roll tonight, into the small hours, again...

I pushed on with the Empire Captain replacement for the WHQ '95 Imperial Noble, I'll also be using him in my WFB Empire army but he'll be looking a bit odd with a paved dungeon base, he'd look odd in WHQ '95 if I did the base for WFB, so...
IMG-20211016-034005861-HDR.jpg

IMG-20211016-034027043-HDR.jpg

Still some work to be done on him, but so far so good. I haven't painted the feathers and ribbons on his helm or the two little daggers stuck in it, because, as you can see, I keep handling the model there, they'll get painted when I've done everything else...

Whilst some paint was drying on mon capitan I started playing around with painting the armour on one of the Reiksguard horses. The lore says they polish their armour to a high shine, so I got out the Vallejo Metal Colors -
IMG-20211016-034059266-HDR.jpg

IMG-20211016-034121316-HDR.jpg

Well, it's shiny...

I've been watching too much Vince Ventruella, because I tried blending Magnesium and Dark Aluminium for shadowing/dark reflections, along with Aluminium and Chrome highlights!

I also did a test of an idea for how the Reiksguard bases will be, this is Citadel Texture Armageddon Dunes with a layer over the top of Citadel Contrast Wyldwood (thinned 50/50 with medium), the Contrast paint is still drying in this photo -
IMG-20211016-034205292-HDR.jpg

Once it's dried fully, and had a bit of a drybrush it should look reasonable.

Last edited:

Brendan Flynn

Nov 25, 2016
Perth WA
I am really liking these last few posts of the trolls, empire knight, and Greyknights. I think your willingness to try new techniques is paying off and your skills are growing exponentially. You say your not much of a painter but I think you are improving with each new project, so keep it up because I think you are getting pretty damned good.

Nov 19, 2017
Earth
OK, so I sat down at the table this morning to do more painting/modelling...

First up, plan B for the 3 Reiksguard Knight's shields that I need - I bough some Oyamaru (popularly known as Blue Stuff, although mine is green) and on Friday evening I made a mould using one of the 4 correct shields my Reiksguard Knights do have. I then filled that mould with Green Stuff. This morning I prised out the Green Stuff. It's not bad, although a little thick in places, and it's a little flexible. I have on order some UV cure resin, I'll try to cast with that and see if that works any better. Sanding down the Knights Panther shields and making/using decals has been relegated to plan C.

I would buy some from ebay (plan a), but they're not that common, and rather silly prices for shields!

IMG-20211023-091932506-HDR.jpg

IMG-20211023-091951614-HDR.jpg

The rest of today I decided to push on with the Empire Captain. He's done.

IMG-2204.jpg
IMG-2207.jpg
IMG-2210.jpg
IMG-2213.jpg

I am reasonably happy with him, I'm never going to be able to paint like the GW 'Eavy Metal team, or win any Golden Daemon award, but he's turned out nicely.

3 WHQ '95 player characters left to do...

Last edited:

MedMos

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
If you don't want to shell out for special resin, you could try sprue goo. Bits of sprue dissolved in acetone. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out Miniature Hobbyist on youtube.

Nov 19, 2017
Earth
If you don't want to shell out for special resin, you could try sprue goo. Bits of sprue dissolved in acetone. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out Miniature Hobbyist on youtube.

That's plan b.3

I've already bought UV cure resin, just waiting on it's delivery.

I usually use "sprue goo" as filler. Although I make it using Tamiya Extra Thin Cement and styrene sheet as styrene sheet has a more consistent quality.

Problem is, as "Blue Stuff" is a (thermo)plastic, "sprue goo" made with TET might negatively affect the "Blue Stuff"...

Last edited:
Reactions: MedMos

MedMos

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Sorry for the double post, but just remembered Miniature Hobbyist did do a video on Necromunda floor tiles, where he used (blue) Oyumaru and sprue goo (acetone based). So FWIW, that combo at least works without adverse effects.

Reactions: Raven Morpheus
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
So, being impatient, I tried yesterday to use some "sprue goo" that I've got, which is styrene sheet melted with Tamiya Extra Thin Cement. Unfortunately, despite being left 24 hours, it didn't work. Just ended up a thin wafer of inconsistent styrene. The detail was there though, better than when I used Green Stuff. Didn't bother taking photos because there really wasn't much worth taking photos of.

My "sprue goo" is quite thin as I use it for filler, so I'm trying again, and seeing if I can build up some layers. I think one mistake was putting the back on the 2 part mould, it probably interfered with the drying - I can probably live without having the back of the shield curved or attack it with a Dremel or something after moulding it to put the curve in.

Despite the "sprue goo" being melted with TET there didn't appear to be any damage to the mould itself so that's a good thing.

The UV cure resin I ordered has also arrived, so I've put some in the first mould I made and I'm seeing how that turns out, it's supposed to cure in about 40 minutes, so it'll be quicker than the "sprue goo" - I suspect the first mould I made wasn't all that good though because the detail didn't come out so well at the bottom of the shield when I used Green Stuff. But at least I can see how/if the UV cure resin works and then make a better mould or use the good one that's got "sprue goo" in it at the moment.

All a learning process for me, and if it is successful I may re-cast the tail from one of the horses to make the two tails that are missing, rather than buying parts...

Last edited:
Reactions: Punktaku and MedMos
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
So, small update.

The UV cure resin worked-ish.

This is what I got, not the best photo as the resin I bought is clear -

IMG-20211025-155039792-HDR.jpg

This is the same two parts, alongside the original GW part, with a bit of Rakarth Flesh on them, which was still drying when I took this photo -

IMG-20211025-155809152-HDR.jpg

Obviously the one on the left is a miscast, but I'm not sure why that corner didn't cast. The mould looks OK to me. But then the cross doesn't look all that great either. The middle one is the best, but not really as good as the original part.

I think the skull will look like a lump, rather than a skull when properly painted, but the edge of the cross is there, just about, so the cross shouldn't look any different to the original part once painted.

They both require some work on the backs of them to thin them out and curve them a little.

The middle one seems acceptable, the left one has been chucked and I still have the 2nd attempt with "sprue goo" to take out of the mould...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. M