What I've been doing recently, a painting and modelling log...

Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Well I'm giving up on the "sprue goo" idea. My attempts with it have not gone well and twice is enough.

Because my "sprue goo" is so thin, i.e. ideal for seam filling, it just comes out of the mould as a thin wafer like layer, like when putting latex down on a mould. I could be sat there for weeks trying to build up enough bulk with it. I thought it was the best route to go down, because it's styrene, it's what the originals are made from, but the skull on the shield comes out no better than it does with the resin, so even on a detail basis it's a bit of a dead end.

I know others have used "sprue goo" but I'm guessing it only really works well if it's the consistency of a putty.

The jury is also still out on the resin casting. I don't think these shields are the best things to use "blue stuff" to make a mould of.

I may just chalk it up to experience, cave, and see if I can buy some shields at a less than silly price on ebay...

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
So, back to painting...

I spent a short while late afternoon today making a small start on the WHQ '95 Trollslayer. No more stature jokes...

Couple of dodgy quick mobile photos -

IMG-20211026-160322708-HDR.jpg
IMG-20211026-160345348-HDR.jpg

All the black-ish areas, besides most of the axehead, will be "gold". The rest is ready for highlighting, because, apart from the orange, I used Citadel Contrast paint, and the orange (Citadel Jokaero orange) had a Citadel Reikland fleshshade wash. I need to get in there and do his teeth/tongue, that'll be non-trivial...

Thanks as always for looking, C&C welcome.

Brendan Flynn

Nov 25, 2016
Perth WA
I love this Empire Captain. The beard and mo in particular are magnificently done, subtle but very real. So many things to love about this miniature. He will look great leading your empire troops to noble defeat, at least that's what always happened to my empire army. My pointy eared gits on the other hand used to rock the battle field.

Reactions: Raven Morpheus
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
And the WHQ '95 Trollslayer is done. Only took about 4 hours in total, very surprised at how quick and easy this was to paint.

IMG-2214.jpg
IMG-2215.jpg

I think I should have gone a bit lighter on the orange highlights on the beard though, perhaps added some yellow to my Citadel Fire Dragon Bright.

2 left..

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Spent an hour at the table this morning. Started the WHQ '95 Wardancer.

I like to work from references (or at least look at them on my PC whilst procrastinating), if only to see what bits should be painted in what way (sometimes parts are a bit obscure), however besides lots of uber-grainy images from issues of White Dwarf knocking around online, and other people's interpretations, the only good "canon" references I have for this model are the Wardancer in the Warhammer Quest 2 video game, which is nothing like this model, and this original GW image (found as part of a larger image on Miniset.net) -

Wardancer-2.jpg

Mine won't be anywhere near as good as that GW reference.

This is what I've got so far -

IMG-20211030-122158451-HDR.jpg

IMG-20211030-122222447-HDR.jpg

So what we've got there is a Citadel Deathworld Forest green colour that I'm not sold on, but it's not far off the colour on the legs on the Warhammer Quest 2 video game's Wardancer, so, meh, maybe it'll look better when I put an Athonian Camoshade wash over it and layer on Citadel Elysian Green and Vallejo Game Color Dead Flesh for highlights.

The hair is just Citadel Wraithbone with Citadel Seraphim Sepia over the top. I'm at least happy with the hair so far.

The rest is some rather messy Citadel Contrast paint layers. Seems I can't paint neatly today.

The bands on the hair have been a PITA to make neat, and they're still not, oddly they look neater in the photos above than to my magnifier assisted mk1 eyeball. I'm hoping I can tidy them up some more with normal paint layers.

I intentionally left some details unpainted for the moment.

Still don't know how I'm going to put him securely on a resin base, I'm thinking of putting a pin up his right foot and then trying to make a rock of some sort to sit under/support the foot...

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Wow! What a dodgy day I've been having...

...managed to spill water from the plastic shot glass I use as a water receptacle to wash my brush in, 3 times, luckily I have paper towel down and it went on that. Then I spilt three quarters of a pot of Citadel Contrast Snakebite Leather all over my cutting mat, myself and the dining room table. Had to wash the tablecloth (there was a hole in the plastic dust sheet I had over it) and most of it went over my brand new jeans so they got a 60 degree wash, then a scrub, and then another 60 degree wash, and there's still some slightly visible Contrast paint!!

Anyhow despite all that I pushed on with the WHQ '95 Wardancer -

IMG-2221.jpg
IMG-2223.jpg

Not my best but it'll do. I meant to paint the studs on his left leg some kind of silver but forgot, doh! I could go back and do them, but life's too short.

Still not sold on the green either, but it'll do.

1 to go...

MedMos

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Like the hair! I can never do blonde hair... And hate spilling paint, clean-up is what it is, but it just sucks wasting all that paint when you need relatively little on the model.

Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Like the hair! I can never do blonde hair... And hate spilling paint, clean-up is what it is, but it just sucks wasting all that paint when you need relatively little on the model.

I couldn't do blonde hair either, until I watched Duncan "two thin coats" Rhodes on the Warhammer youtube channel do a quick tutorial. Couple of ways to do it using Citadel paints - Zandri dust > Agrax Earthshade > Screaming Skull (I think, the shade may have been Reikland fleshshade), or my current favourite Wraithbone > Seraphim Sepia > Wraithbone highlight if needed.

Does depend on the hair being nicely, crisply, and/or deeply detailed though.

Last edited:
Reactions: MedMos
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Sat down this afternoon at the table, spent about an hour and gave up because I'm feeling under the weather...

Anyhow, I did manage to do some "modelling" -

I started this afternoon with trying to make a punch dagger/fist spike for the Pit Fighter conversion I've been making for WHQ '95 out of some Age of Sigmar War Cry Spyre Tyrants parts. I glued two pieces of 1mm thick styrene sheet together and attacked them with my dremel a bit.
IMG-20211106-151641749-HDR.jpg

There is a bit of a hand there, it's taken from some Age of Sigmar Khorne Bloodreavers that I bought to make the Marauder for WHQ '95, but I'm not sure how it'll look when painted. The spike itself looks a bit brobdingnagian to me (might just be the way I did this photo), I already cut it down to make it smaller once though, I may cut it shorter still.

I then moved on to do a little work on my Empire "Reiksguard" knights.

I caved and bought an OG shields sprue from an ebayer, fortunately they weren't as expensive as I've seen them go for recently (a not too un-reasonable £7.99) , I also bought a heads sprue and replaced a couple of heads for variety...
IMG-20211106-151719103-HDR.jpg

The musician got a new head. I hadn't noticed it initially but he was wearing a Knights Panther head!
IMG-20211106-151856268-HDR.jpg

The banner top has been added -
IMG-20211106-151752665-HDR.jpg

The champion got his sword and correct head (sorry for the blur on this photo) -
IMG-20211106-151823075-HDR.jpg

And that was about it for the knights. I also bought 3 spare horses and took 2 of the tails from those to fix the missing tails on these knights. Didn't take a photo so you'll just have to take my word that they've been added.

Thankfully that's all the parts bought and added/swapped, as what was a £36 project has turned into over double that!!!!

Some seam scraping to do, couple of seams on the horses to fix, couple of bits to maybe tidy up, but these are about ready for painting...

I've also bought the OG metal Kurt Helborg, because if I were to run the army I have planned, in 8th edition I'd not be able to run Karl Franz on Deathclaw due to points issues, plus I don't like Helborg's late 6th edition/7th edition onwards model (and good luck finding a good "finecast" or the OG metal version of it for a reasonable price!) so I thought the 4th edition metal Helborg would be a good addition, to even just the knights unit for the moment. He's magnetised to the horse as the knights are, although not as well because he's heavier, being metal -
IMG-20211106-151924870-HDR.jpg

Sorry, Kurt is out of focus in this photo...
IMG-20211106-151953034-HDR.jpg

Kurt's horse was separated into it's bits when it came to me with the other two horses, and didn't have the 2nd of the two tabs on the feet, so I've had to make do with putting him on the base. To be honest, when it comes to basing these guys, I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to do it without getting paint/mud-like stuff everywhere, I may end up getting Citadel Armageddon Dunes texture paint on the horses hooves and have to call it mud they've picked up...

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Haven't really done much this past week or so, just some more fettling on the Reiksguard and the Pit Fighter, as I've been feeling under the weather and generally having a crappy time of it, culminating yesterday in falling down the steps in my residence's porch, causing me to injure the knuckle of the small toe on my left foot, and my palm where it meets the thumb on my left hand, and my coccyx! Don't ask!

Anyhow, not feeling like painting at the moment, I opened my Mordheim scenery account today...

IMG-20211119-154516630-HDR.jpg
IMG-20211119-154544878-HDR.jpg

I made these from 1mm thick greyboard with the art printed onto A4 sheet labels and stuck to the greyboard. Neither building is glued, they come apart and flat pack for storage.

The walls, where not joined by a plastic corner part, seem a bit flimsy in fit to me, they don't like staying straight or meeting up with the floors very well. It's more of a problem with the building on the right in the photos above than the other more basic corner.

I'm sure that was a feature on the original terrain as I've built these two as per the instructions (although on the building on the right I've added an upright corner piece, as I noted in GW's images of the scenery they did also, the instructions don't tell you to though). I might try to do something about the flimsy fit of the top level walls, probably using magnets.

Doors and windows will get added later when I've painted them, and they'll get glued into place.

For any of the 3 remaining original buildings I need to start moulding/casting corners and beams...

With the original plastic parts I bought I also received the original chimney piece, which is handy as now I don't need to make it myself. I stuck it together with some CA glue, but left that bit on the bottom that goes through it at 90 degrees unglued, for storage.
IMG-20211119-154713549-HDR.jpg

Only another 12 buildings to go, by my guesstimate, to make a half decent board...

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
A quick half hour at the table today...

Managed to make the walls a bit more stable on both Mordheim buildings I cut out and assembled yesterday, using some off cut 1mm greyboard and magnets (5x2x1mm Neodymium's).

IMG-20211120-133245698-HDR.jpg

IMG-20211120-133415239-HDR.jpg

I'm not convinced by the floors though, the extreme's at the corners hanging in mid air could be a problem if a heavy model is put on them, I tried my circa. 2000 Commissar Yarrick metal model and he just about sat OK on the smaller ruined building's floor at the extreme corner, but I still wouldn't trust it in a game. I may have to make some columns to attach under the floors to support them...

Last edited:
Reactions: ThreeDice

Mr. M

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Aug 1, 2019
San Jose, CA
Perhaps you could add some floor support using balsa wood or xps foam to make pillars. It would be a bit tough secure them given the lack of base, but the creative placement of some barrels and ceiling beams might help.

Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Spent an hour or so today doing some airbrushing...

Undercoated with Citadel Wraithbone the conversion I've done to represent the WHQ '95 Pit Fighter. I'm not overly excited by his fist spike/punch dagger, but it'll have to do. Unfortunately I got some silver on him when airbrushing another group of models and a mould line has become apparent to me on his left foot...
IMG-20211123-152923962-HDR.jpg

IMG-20211123-152931861-HDR.jpg

After a quick gloss black prime, I base coated the Reiksguard Knights and gave them a couple of zenithal highlights. I used Vallejo Metal Color Magnesium for their base coat, then for the zenithal highlights, Vallejo Metal Color Dark Aluminium followed by Vallejo Metal Color Aluminium.

Their horses also got a base coat, but with Vallejo Metal Color Dark Aluminium, instead of Magnesium, as I plan on doing the shadow/highlights with a hairy stick on those, as I did on the first horse on the left.

I'm not sure these photos quite show how shiny they are.
IMG-20211123-152958643-HDR.jpg

IMG-20211123-153022660-HDR.jpg

IMG-20211123-153041239-HDR.jpg

I'll "black line" the riders (and eventually the horses where they need it on the armour) with either Vallejo Game Color Black Ink or Citadel Contrast Black Templar, and then paint in the details like the feathers, shields, and stuff. Hopefully I've not filled in the details whilst airbrushing the gloss primer or metals on...

I'll also see if I can't add a chrome point/corner/edge highlight on the riders' armour, but I'm not sure how visible it will be.

Looking OK so far though.

There are mould lines on the outside of the riders' legs, I thought I could use them as some kind of detail, like joins in the leg armour, but I'm not convinced now. But it's too late to go back and scrape them. You can't see them in these photos anyway, so they'll look OK until someone gets up close and personal to them.

Last edited:

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I don't know how bothered you are by mould lines and such. As you say, they're not obvious unless you get up close, so I know some people don't worry too much. But the joins on the pit fighter's shoulders stand out more, imho. I'd try fixing those before painting but ymmv.

Nov 19, 2017
Earth
I'm sure I've said this before, but I get to the point with groups of models where I feel the need to concentrate on one model at a time, if only on one model so that I have a reference to work from.

So, this afternoon I spent an hour or two doing one of the Reiksguard Knights.

He's not finished, but he's getting there. For some reason the most difficult part for me was doing the red trim on the cross on the shield, it's still not great - just couldn't stop getting black on the red or red on the black...

I'm hoping I can tidy the cross's trim up a bit when I add highlights. The plume on his helm will be red and white, instead of it's current red and brown colouring. And the ribbon on the back of the head will be red also.

IMG-20211126-163538663-HDR.jpg
IMG-20211126-163637689-HDR.jpg
IMG-20211126-163550966-HDR.jpg

I had this idea in my head of how the armour would look, all nicely shaded and highlighted, but it doesn't look anywhere near that idea. Having used Dark Aluminium and Aluminium for zenithal highlights over Magnesium I've not really left myself anywhere to go with edge/point highlights. It'll do though, I'm sure as a unit they'll look reasonable.

Mould lines everywhere, I've spotted some on the horse shaped object now whilst looking at these photos! I really need to inspect models better before putting paint down and getting too far to make it difficult to remove mould lines without ruining paintwork!!

I think I need to redo the leather straps on the horses head, they haven't quite turned out how I would like. But I'll see, I need to check my references (the limited few from GW studio paints I could find) for bits on the horses anyhow as I am a little bit lost on doing the horses...

Oh well. My plan is to plough on with this guy and perhaps move the other 7 a bit further on over the weekend...

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
So, I spent most of today finishing off the one exemplar Reiksguard Knight I started yesterday.

For some reason I spent most of the time doing the horse shaped object. I wanted a dark brown/black look to it's hide, and Citadel Rhinox Hide isn't dark enough, neither is Citadel Dryad Bark. So I went over the base coat of Rhinox Hide that I did yesterday with 3 layers of Vallejo Game Color Black Ink mixed 1:3 with Vallejo Glaze Medium (1 part ink to 3 parts medium) and then added some Rhinox Hide to that mix for highlights, most of which are a bit too subtle looking in the photos below.

I still can't get the shield cross looking nice enough, but it'll have to do. The matt varnish I put on it is still drying in these photos, hence why it looks a little iffy. I've gone over the bottom of the skull on the cross with white by accident, I'll tidy that up tomorrow, when I try to put some Citadel Nuln oil round all the armour rivets, which I keep forgetting to do...

I don't have Citadel Steel Legion Drab (which is what GW apparently used on their base rims) so I used Vallejo Model Air 71.029 Dark Earth instead for the rim of the base. The "mud" on the base is Citadel Armageddon Dunes, with a coat of Contrast Wyldwood and a dry-brush of Baneblade brown and Karak stone. Not a particularly good "mud" effect but it'll do.

Photos-
IMG-20211127-152819221-HDR.jpg

IMG-20211127-152841468-HDR.jpg

IMG-20211127-152832146-HDR.jpg

Overall I'm happy with that, if it were a character model I'd be wanting to redo certain bits, where I struggled to see what I was doing (bad light or tired eyes, I don't know which), but overall in a unit of 7 he'll look OK.

Last edited: