What ruleset do you use

What is your preferred ruleset when playing Necromunda?

• Other/house rules

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Necromunda Community Edition (NCE)

Votes: 152 51.9%
  • Living Rulebook (LRB)

Votes: 30 10.2%
  • Original Rulebook (ORB)

Votes: 41 14.0%
  • Necromunda 2017 (N17)

Votes: 62 21.2%

• Total voters

nooker

Prodigal Viking of the Librarium
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Feb 17, 2011
Brooklyn Park, MN
CE. I'd go back to ORB, but I don't think I'd ever use LRB again as it is far too irritating.

Last edited by a moderator:

tryfailtry

Ganger
Apr 3, 2013
ORB as it can be found on the GW website at the moment. I also have the 1998 version of Necromunda but I never had the Outlanders expansion. What I like about the ORB is the exclusion of "catching fire" and the reduced amount of templates - makes the game a lot easier.

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
tryfailtry said:
ORB as it can be found on the GW website at the moment. I also have the 1998 version of Necromunda but I never had the Outlanders expansion. What I like about the ORB is the exclusion of "catching fire" and the reduced amount of templates - makes the game a lot easier.
The GW website rules is LRB. The ORB is the original rule book release in 1995.

Reactions: Ben_S

tryfailtry

Ganger
Apr 3, 2013
Malo said:
tryfailtry said:
The GW website rules is LRB. The ORB is the original rule book release in 1995.
Yea, I already discovered my mistake when I made that post but I couldn't change my choice in the poll anymore :D

My original version of Necromunda is the 1998 version though (german). I don't know which changes they have made there (other than plainly translating it) but there were 1 or 2 I guess. By the way I am also using the german Version of the LRB. Luckily everything is translated for us germans :)

Since I am using both as a reference during my games and campaigns I guess my answer to the poll is still (partially) true ;)

Gorkamunda

Adeptus Ineptus
Staff member
Gorkamorka Warboss
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Dec 11, 2012
Galdhøpiggen, Norway
I think the re-inclusion of the catch fire rules in the NCE are amongst the most popular changes (or at least that's my impression).

I currently use the community edition with the HWL, but I think I will ditch that in my next campaign. Currently we are only using house gangs, but I have some enforcers and scavvies that will see action pretty soon.

tryfailtry

Ganger
Apr 3, 2013
Malo said:
I've turned on vote changing for the poll.
Cheers, I have changed my vote and I feel left alone... so alone... *sob*

@Gorkamunda: I need to read the rules regarding catching fire in the NCE but having played with the old catching fire rules I totally agreed when they removed them. They didn't add much in the way of gaming and were totally cumbersome, sucking the life out of any game. It was so bad that people ceased using fire weapons... this is no joke!

...Well okay I might be exaggerating there

...they were still bad! :)

...really bad!

People show some more love for the LRB or at least the ORB! Love the creator of Necromunda! >.>

Okay, I am done :)

Gorkamunda

Adeptus Ineptus
Staff member
Gorkamorka Warboss
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Dec 11, 2012
Galdhøpiggen, Norway
Basically catch fire dice roll is the same as for ammo on the respective flamer. 5+ on hand, 4+ on regular and 3+ on heavy.

Perhaps not perfect, but easy to remember and adds a lot fluff wise in my opinion. Having a member of the opposing gang run away screaming while trying to put the flames out is funny as hell!

tryfailtry

Ganger
Apr 3, 2013
Oh it is not the issue how you catch fire but how the fighter who caught fire will behave. That rule was sickening...

chitching

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
The Underhive book was the LRB? Well, in all my days playing the (dis)honourable game, I've played all the rulebooks! ORB when I first played it as a wee lad, LRB when I got back into it last year, now CE, which is far superior in my eyes. Things are streamlined and explained nicely. I can burn fools. I get the choice of the Autoslugger (which, to be fair, I'm yet to try, but looking forward to using) and the addition of a bunch of new scenarios, which on read through seem really sweet!

Sharkforce

Gang Hero
Jul 23, 2012
Headed for the Eye of Terror
Darkson said:
Nope, but if it has House lists and one-shot hand flamers using large templates, still not interested.

[Edit] Actually, no idea what the CE is - never seen it - my choice is between ORB and LRB, ORB wins hands down everytime.
NCE is the Necromunda Community Edition (sometimes abbreviated to just CE as well).

and would you settle for potentially multi-shot hand flamers using the regular flamer template? (they can potentially fire multiple times, but with a 5+ ammo roll and having to roll ammo every time you use it, well... it's not exactly guaranteed to fire multiple times).

it does have house lists as well, but those are fairly trivial to just ignore. they don't really interact with a lot of other rules. personally, i like having house lists, but if you don't, well, just pretend like those 2-3 pages of the book don't exist.

sharkface said:
and would you settle for potentially multi-shot hand flamers using the regular flamer template? (they can potentially fire multiple times, but with a 5+ ammo roll and having to roll ammo every time you use it, well... it's not exactly guaranteed to fire multiple times).
No, we like the small hand flamer templates - makes more sense to us. We also like all the different size templates. Hate the dumbing down of GW games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkforce

Gang Hero
Jul 23, 2012
Headed for the Eye of Terror
ah well. that makes for another very easy fix. just make hand flamers use the hand flamer template. if those are the only things holding you back, when they're really quite easy to fix, i'd say you'll probably find the NCE does a pretty good job of balancing in a lot of other areas.