N18 What would non-House gangs be called?

Jacob Dryearth

Gang Hero
Sep 6, 2016
I'm making a new gang type for non-House gangs, very heavily based on the Venators gang. It would be for hive scum, settlers, recidivists, raiders, etc. It will remove the Bounty Hunter theme and change how Legacy rules work to be more in line with the current rules.

It is currently named Unaffiliated Gangs.

I don't like the name, and was wondering in there was any lore references to a more suitable name, something like Forsaken, Outcasts, Untouchables etc...

Scavvierising

Undisputed Doom Spooner
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
In confrontation the most common gangs were the clan warriors. These were the equivalent of N18 house gangs.

The more renegade gangs that existed in the bowels of the underhive. Who had no clan. Were just called Undercity Gangs.

Screenshot_20200911-161204.png

Jacob Dryearth

Gang Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Perfect. I'm might give them a bonus to settlement recruitment, and a save against environmental damage to represent that lore.

The Confrontation text leans towards Ratskins actually, but I want this to be usable for any random collection of models.

Although, if we are to update the vocabulary, Underhive Gangs sounds very generic and is technically what all gangs are in Necromunda...

Here is some brainstorming:

Undercity Gangs
Underhive Gangs
Independent Gangs
Scummer Gangs
Scum Gangs
Forsaken Gangs
Houseless Gangs
Non-House Gangs
Hiver Scum Gangs
Badlands Gangs

I should also mention that I'm allowing legacies from Enforcers and Cults, so references to Clan Houses are maybe not appropriate.

Last edited:

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
Brilliant idea, I was always led to believe there were lesser houses, with less resources than the big six. And the bounty hunter theme has put me off using venators for non-house gangs. This plan of yours would address that.

Because of the breadth of gangs you are covering, I think you're left with something like:

Unaligned gangs
Independent gangs
Free gangs

Or how about:
Wild gangs
Street gangs

The latter just implies gangs without support from something like a house. I do like the sound of forsaken though not sure it would accurately describe all the non house gangs you cold envision.

Edit: would love to see the rules you. Come up with

Spiro Dotgeek

Oh look, it's coffee time
Tribe Council
Sep 8, 2020
Wellington, NZ
Retromunda had the concept of outlaws, and this kind of fits in my mind. I compare it to pirates where sanctioned pirates were called Privateers and non sanctioned outlaws were called pirates.

I also like the context of clans that @Scavvierising mentions. That makes me think of fuedal Japan where masterless samurai were considered ronin.

So my ideas would be:
  • outlaw gangs
  • ronin gangs

Scavvierising

Undisputed Doom Spooner
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
I can't recall where I read it, but somewhere in the N18 fluff it describes unaffiliated labourers in hive city as Helot Workers. So.... helot gangs?
Helots are somewhere above slaves and below citizens historicaly. So normally would find themselves working at the factorum 16 hours a day probably have to share their cot in a shift pattern too.
Maybe a group of escaped Helots doing it for themselves. But that doesn't quite sound like the cool outlaw raiders described above.
Also we have 2 gangs that work for that kind of ashetic Chaos cult's are supposed to recruit from the helot classes. The Cawdor list would also work well as a helot themed list.
So my ideas would be:
  • outlaw gangs
  • ronin gangs

In regards to calling them outlaw gangs. Isn't that already being used as an alignment in the law and misrule campaign?

I do like the idea of a Ronin type gang. Maybe have them connected to a lost house or something.

Spiro Dotgeek

Oh look, it's coffee time
Tribe Council
Sep 8, 2020
Wellington, NZ
Not familiar with the law and misrule campaign. Where does that appear? I am quite new to Necromunda and so far have only bought the rulebook. :(

Ronin are more like mercenaries and having them tied to one house (albeit lost) I think limits your options if we're treating it as a gang "type" because it makes them all have something in common. I guess I was thinking that each of these gangs were just the equivalent of local street gangs. My street has a gang, the next street has a gang, etc. They're all nobodies in the grand scheme of things, but they are independent and they just act on their own interests. But that makes me think of another idea, which might be more appropriate:

• mercenary gangs
that way it doesn't imply that they're criminals as outlaw might, and doesn't conjure up japanese imagery with ronin. :) Not to say that they aren't valid options tho.

Scavvierising

Undisputed Doom Spooner
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
Not familiar with the law and misrule campaign. Where does that appear? I am quite new to Necromunda and so far have only bought the rulebook. :(

Ronin are more like mercenaries and having them tied to one house (albeit lost) I think limits your options if we're treating it as a gang "type" because it makes them all have something in common. I guess I was thinking that each of these gangs were just the equivalent of local street gangs. My street has a gang, the next street has a gang, etc. They're all nobodies in the grand scheme of things, but they are independent and they just act on their own interests. But that makes me think of another idea, which might be more appropriate:

• mercenary gangs
that way it doesn't imply that they're criminals as outlaw might, and doesn't conjure up japanese imagery with ronin. :) Not to say that they aren't valid options tho.
The law and misrule campaign is in the book of judgement. It's an alternative to the Dominion campaign campaign where instead of territory. Gang's fight over rackets. A black market is available as well as the trading post. Gang's have an alignment either law abiding or outlaw. That affects how they interact with these as well as what alliances they can form.

While outlaw does work as a name that conjures up the right sort of vibe. And is a cool reminder of outlaw gangs of oldmunda. It's a term already in use in the game.

I think Ronin did make my brain go straight to 47 Ronin and all that kind of stuff.

Badlands Gangs
Yeah "badlander's" does sound kind of cool.

Jacob Dryearth

Gang Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Thanks for all the input, I'm leaning towards either Badlands, or Independent Gangs. This list would also work for lesser Houses ranked below the main 6.

Reactions: Aulenback

Jacob Dryearth

Gang Hero
Sep 6, 2016
The major Houses are called Clan Houses. I'm not sure if just Clans are a thing or not.

The more I think about this, the more it is becoming a Mini- "House of..." expansion in my mind...

The name I am settling for right now in Underhivers. They are the locals, the rejects, and the former House gangers. They can represent Watchmen, guild mercs, town militias, criminal gangs, smaller Guilds, badlands raiders, etc...

This is kind of a large project, so don't expect anything right away from me!

Last edited:

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Hero
Aug 16, 2017
I'm late to the party, but I like 'Free gangs' as it sounds like a potential point of pride for groups like these - sure, they may live like cockroaches, but at least they're free of immediate House supervision. Freehivers maybe?

Petitioner's City

Gang Hero
Nov 15, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I guess it's quite hard to have a 'one size fits all' term, given the diversity of story ideas that you aim to cover. Some will just be scummers, some freedom fighters, some smaller house eqivalents to the bigger ones, etc.

An idea might be to rewrite Venators so being a Bounty Hunter gang is one of multiple options, a bolt-on as part of the gang construction alongside other options - recalling the options of the Militia list or Blackshield list for 30k for example:

Cults1.jpg

Cults2.jpg

Blackshield-3.jpg

Blackshield-4.jpg

This way you can also easily add in 'Venators', 'Ratskins', 'Scavvies', 'Smaller Clans', 'Scummers', 'Wyrd Conclaves', 'Uphivers', 'Technos', 'Guilders', etc, each granting special gang- and/or fighter-applicable special rules, as well as conditions to the gang.

Other models are of course the 3.5/4th edition Chapter/Regiment traits, etc.

Last edited:

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
I was always led to believe there were lesser houses, with less resources than the big six.
They were explicitly written about a few times, including in this Necromunda Online piece for N03:
Weren’t minor houses referred to as clans? Or were there Noble Houses, Minor Houses, and then Clans?
Minor Houses, like the big six Houses, are called both Houses and Clans depending on the author.

Reactions: Galtarr

Jacob Dryearth

Gang Hero
Sep 6, 2016
I sort of slept on this idea for a while, and never got around to making the new gang list. If I ever do get back to this, I think Petitioner's City has the best take.

Reactions: Petitioner's City