What's on your mind?

Coenus Scaldingus

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Apr 29, 2018
Finland
how many companies on both sides of the channel just completely ignored the upcoming changes they've had years to prepare for, preferring to stick their fingers in their ears and go "laaa laaa laaa I can't hear you" in some kind of desperate hope that Brexit somehow wasn't going to happen.
In fairness, it's rather difficult to prepare for something when you don't know what it is you have to prepare for. When politicians provide such useful information as "Brexit means Brexit", I can't really blame people for not knowing what Brexit would, in fact, entail. Customs union? Tariffs? Necessary documentation? Banned goods? Applying to what goods, to what values, under which circumstances? If the occasional person is caught out, I'd blame them, but if it's causing major issues across sectors, the entire thing was just clearly badly organised.

I don't know much about imports/exports, but I thought low value orders (under £20 or so?) were usually free of custom duties. So, individuals making small orders may be ok, but then shipping costs are proportionately more of course.
Until July, yes. After that, goods of any value will be taxed (while companies should remove VAT in the seller's country, this may not always happen) and be subjected to "handling fees", which can be pretty extortionate for some shipping companies. Actual customs fees should only apply to orders of a higher value (€150, or the equivalent in pounds). Of course, that £20/€22 limit is very easily reached and exceeded anyway...

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
In fairness, it's rather difficult to prepare for something when you don't know what it is you have to prepare for. When politicians provide such useful information as "Brexit means Brexit", I can't really blame people for not knowing what Brexit would, in fact, entail. Customs union? Tariffs? Necessary documentation? Banned goods? Applying to what goods, to what values, under which circumstances? If the occasional person is caught out, I'd blame them, but if it's causing major issues across sectors, the entire thing was just clearly badly organised.
I tried to stay out of Brexit discussions as best as I could, but one constant that was impossible to ignore was that whenever certain questions cropped up, questions like "but how will this all work in practice?" and "how will individual companies be affected?" and "you did plan for XYZ, as it is a core concept of international trade, which you DO want, right?", UK politicians in particular had a troubling tendency for tapping the side of their nose while giving a knowing wink and saying "Oh, you'll see, it'll be great!". Still waiting...

cardyfreak

Executive Officer in charge of Radishes
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Tribe Council
Sep 15, 2012
Alnwick, Northumberland
yaktribe.games
A few days ago I had to say goodbye to my little dog Trudy. The Tuesday before Christmas we found out she had developed some aggressive cancers and only had a month or so to live. She managed almost two.
She had a good run, she was fifteen and a half years old. I loved this little dog like she was a child. She was super clever and always ready for mischief, but loved nothing better than cuddling in with someone. She was small even by Jack Russel/Corgi standards and she could get burrowed into the most comfortable of positions. On nights when I had my kids, she would always come into their room on my last check before bed and she’d do a little patrol of the room before coming out.
She also loved Sunday dinners.
She was put to sleep peacefully in my arms, wrapped in her favourite blanket.
She was the best and I’m going to miss her terribly.
675828B8-1159-4542-BD92-B63DE7A8B4E0.jpeg

Feb 17, 2011
That’s pure heart break. My condolences.

I have lost 4 dogs over the years and the one I have now is starting to get old, don’t think she will be here in a year. It never gets easier. But the joy and love they give us before we reach that dreadful last day! It’s worth it, even if it takes a while to feel that way again when they’ve just left us. 💪

Reactions: cardyfreak

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
In toll news, my packages actually made it through customs, and I got my Death Guard preorder a mere month after regular release. And now I am the proud owner of...70 Poxwalkers. I am beginning to think this was a terrible mistake.

But other than that, I now have a new package stuck in UK customs. I ordered some books late last year, and though they were dispatched AFTER Brexit went hot, nobody bothered to change the delivery route, so they traveled all the way from the printers in China, via a distribution center in GERMANY to the UK border, where they were stuck in customs for 3 weeks, and now they are in a distribution center in the UK and stuck in customs to go out again, ETA "f***ed if we know" apparently.

I know customs and tolls serve an important purpose, but right now I wish they'd have a physical manifestation so I could punch that in the face. And right after that, most of the politicians in charge of Brexit, though I imagine the line for that is pretty long by now.

Last edited:
Reactions: MedMos and Pagumb

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Loads of people are modeling ammo-jacks and bullet merchants. Is there any real difference between the two?
Aye, ammo-jacks give you bonuses to ammo rolls because they maintain your gear, bullet merchants give you bonuses when buying ammo. I think you mostly take them because they change "Limited" ammo to "Scarce" ammo.

almic85

Gang Hero
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Loads of people are modeling ammo-jacks and bullet merchants. Is there any real difference between the two?
The easiest way to explain the difference is that ammo jacks help you in game by decreasing your chance of failing an ammo roll, while bullet merchants help you post game by giving you common access to all special ammo as well as reducing limited ammo types to scarce so they don’t get deleted from your roster when you fail an ammo check.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Ok. That’s clear. Here’s another question from an old grognard...

what the heck is the point of Pinterest?!? It’s so hard to find stuff. Why do you pin things? Why do they keep showing me half-naked fashion models? (Not that I mind that last one, but it’s not why I’m there...). Is there a point to using Pinterest instead of just googling stuff like “Necromunda terrain”?

almic85

Gang Hero
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Ok. That’s clear. Here’s another question from an old grognard...

what the heck is the point of Pinterest?!? It’s so hard to find stuff. Why do you pin things? Why do they keep showing me half-naked fashion models? (Not that I mind that last one, but it’s not why I’m there...). Is there a point to using Pinterest instead of just googling stuff like “Necromunda terrain”?
Pins are the same idea as hashtags. They essentially apply a key word to a picture that can then be used to group pictures together into something like a collection.

Pinterest is essentially meant to act as a big idea board for the user where you save your favourite pins and you can then select the pins to see what other people have done and tagged with those pins.

It’s basic data basing for creative types that don’t understand how data bases work.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I typed this on another thread, but decided it'd be rude to derail someone's plog with such thoughts, so copied it here instead:

Ripper gives me hope for new Catachans if they re-do the plastics.
While the Catachans could definitely be improved, I'd rather see another Guard variant (like Tallarn or Valhallan) get a plastic release than see existing plastics re-done.

Pagumb

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Sep 10, 2020
While the Catachans could definitely be improved, I'd rather see another Guard variant (like Tallarn or Valhallan) get a plastic release than see existing plastics re-done.
A new Guard variant would be most welcome. I hope any new Guard force works in some more female models as well.

Reactions: Stoof

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Pinterest is essentially meant to act as a big idea board for the user where you save your favourite pins and you can then select the pins to see what other people have done and tagged with those pins.
Chuffing hate Pinterest. Ever tried to find information or a source for an obscure/interesting military photograph or piece of equipment? You search for them and nine times out of ten you get dozens of results for exactly what you're looking for... but from Pinterest so theres absolutely no context or supporting information for the images. Gaaaagh!

That is all.