What's on your mind?

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
This is often the way, though I just remembered Nigel Stillman writing in White Dwarf about how he didn't bother painting platemail on his pewter Bretonnian knights...

• Wow
Reactions: MedMos

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Also to UK Yaks - don't forget to fill your Census 2021 form in today! £1000 fine if it's not done!!
Unless you're in Scotland, where our illustrious government in all their bountiful wisdom have decided that when everyone is at home with not that much really to do... That's not a great time to do the census. So they've delayed it untill such a time as lockdown is easing more and everyone has a million and one things to do more interesting than filling out an online form 🤔

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
No, not just you, I think someone might have turned up the rotation of the earth. I've got no time and before you know it, the bleeding Christmas decorations come out again!

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
Ah @Space Truckin, II see your schwartz is as big as mine! 😄😋

cheers @MedMos, it’s just i was reading old posts yesterday, and when I looked at the date and worked out they were from four years ago, I had a ‘holy moly’ moment!
kinda like Iv gor the worst super power ever: every time I rub my eyes Iv skipped ahead a random amount of time!?!
We could be The Great Snoozo and his sidekick Yule Decker??
😋😁

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
I imagine the Yule Decker begrudgingly puts up Christmas decorations, then forget about them and leave them hanging for years and years. :giggle:

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
Concerning time speeding up:

The boring answer, which is supported by cognitive biology and psychology, is that as we grow older, "milestone moments" in our lives are further and further apart. I mean the "firsts", which happen in quick succession when you are young. First school day, first kiss (a lot of my friends skipped WAY ahead on that one), first car, first place of your own, first creeping realization of the vastness of the cosmos vis a vis the infinite insignificance of the individual +++error: WernerHerzog.exe has crashed+++ that sort of stuff.

The first twenty to thirty years of a human life are filled with absurd amounts of mental and physical change. But after your late twenties, you're "done" from a societal perspective, and even nature just kind of goes "You're past 28? Oh. I dunno, have kids and then die at some point or something." so thanks to technology and higher living standards, we then get to exist in blissful pointlessness for another 60 years or so where we've increasingly "seen it all". The upside is, you're used to things going up and down, and you get a better perspective of things as well as a larger repertoire of behaviour, so you become more resilient to adversity and even if you do not notice, you do get wiser with age.

Downside is, you get hella jaded.

Troubled Child

Gang Champion
Jan 2, 2018
UK
It's also a matter of as you get older the same amount of time represents a smaller percentage of your life. When you're a kid a week seems like an eternity because it represents a significant period of your existence. That said my mental health means that I struggle with my perception of time, namely it's a struggle to make it through a day but months seem to fly by.

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Stay busy. Take on more responsibility. Give yourself purpose. Stops life becoming mundane.

Sitting around waiting for time to tick by is no good to anyone.
I just talked about this with MrsMos the other day, about how we've both known people of older generations who work until retirement and then kick back to enjoy "the good life". Only to fade away and age a lifetime in few years. Not planning on doing that!

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
I think I just got called old and pointless. By a kind of longwinded machine-... priest-person.

(I remember reading something about it @SuboptimusPrime, pretty interesting how we sort of push biology out of step now we're "cheating death" and living way longer than nature "intended".)

Can't argue the longwinded part, my verbosity module alone takes up about 40% of available RAM at any given time.

Anyway, if we go by hard biological data, nature has built us to have kids by our early teens, continue doing that until we're about 30, then drop dead. Which was fine and dandy for a hunter-gatherer society some 10.000 years ago, but then we went and invented technology and nowadays, nature can rightfully sod off. Which creates a bevy of interesting problems, because again, from a biological perspective, we're still the same fur-clad lads and lasses roaming the Savannahs of northern Africa and central Asia, but at the same time, we are as remote to those people as theoretical aliens would be to us.