What's on your mind?

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
There is the argument that humans have stopped evolving. Which is often taken out of context as an argument against civilization, when in reality, I think it's closer to what you said, we overthrew the "natural" evolutionary process because we took control of some of our development via technology and civilization.

I'd say we sidestepped evolution instead of putting ourselves above it, but that's semantics.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
I just talked about this with MrsMos the other day, about how we've both known people of older generations who work until retirement and then kick back to enjoy "the good life". Only to fade away and age a lifetime in few years. Not planning on doing that!
After re-reading my post I feel I should clarify... by "stay busy" I don't mean work non stop. Quite the opposite.

Take time for hobbies, exercise and definitely set aside time for relaxation, but do it purposely. Don't just lounge around playing Xbox or watching TV all day and call it "relaxation". Responsibilities can be anything, from starting a business or side-hustle to eating healthily, to simply making sure to clean the house, walk the dog and take out the garbage, and even making sure you paint those 20 Night Goblins when you say you're going to do it and not procrastinating. I can't remember the last time I felt boredom.

I'm no psychologist but I've applied these things to my own life and helped my siblings to do the same. We've all suffered and conquered reasonably severe depression and we're all a lot happier for it.

I think I've been fairly lucky through the Covid times though. I've been able to keep running my business and been offered no furlough pay, so I've been able to stay busy a lot more easily than others. Mrs Tiny has had her business closed for 9 of the last 12 months and has found it much more of a struggle to stay busy.

Seeing people swiftly decline after retirement is indeed really sad. My dad was worried about it after seeing it happen to a few friends so put off retirement for a few years. He retired last year due to Covid forcing his hand and now he's busier than ever exercising, working in the garden, doing up the house and looking after the grandkids. No intention of sitting back and shutting down.

There is the argument that humans have stopped evolving. Which is often taken out of context as an argument against civilization, when in reality, I think it's closer to what you said, we overthrew the "natural" evolutionary process because we took control of some of our development via technology and civilization.

I'd say we sidestepped evolution instead of putting ourselves above it, but that's semantics.

I personally think its more that human evolution hasn't kept up with societal evolution, but not necessarily stopped.

Looking at the obesity epidemic in western nations as an example. Humans are evolved in a way that when we eat something sweet, our body tells us to eat more, because to our primitive senses, sweet means fruit which is only available seasonally and is packed with nutrients. Sadly today, sweet usually means readily available processed sugar which has no nutrients and leads to obesity and diabetes.

We could potentially evolve further to recognise that sweet food is actually in most cases harmful, but that could take centuries and by that time society will undoubtedly have moved on again.

Troubled Child

Gang Champion
Jan 2, 2018
UK
I wouldn't say we have stopped evolving. While we are no longer as subject to natural selection (but as the Darwin awards clearly show not immune) the fact that there are now so many of us means a higher degree of genetic mutation and variation. Now if only we could get off this rock and start adapting to life in space the pace of natural selection will pick up again.

Reactions: Crazy Ivan

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark

I can live with that.;) Either way, you can live with conditions that are lethal unless cared for and still procreate. People mostly decide for themselves if they want kids.
(Also, re the verbosity, I'm a stay at home dad with a masters degree, I really miss theoretical discussions. Just to break up the 'how much can a dog poop'-discussions)

@Tiny Agreed, what I meant with the retirement scenario is you (the general 'you') thinking 'now I can finally relax and do whatever I want', and then ending up doing nothing at all.

Reactions: Crazy Ivan and Tiny

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
I wouldn't say we have stopped evolving. While we are no longer as subject to natural selection (but as the Darwin awards clearly show not immune) the fact that there are now so many of us means a higher degree of genetic mutation and variation. Now if only we could get off this rock and start adapting to life in space the pace of natural selection will pick up again.
True, I should have stressed that I don't support the argument at face value either. In full the sentence is close to what you said and should be "We mostly stopped evolving the way our ancestors did, and other primates still do, because we have surpassed most other organisms in global distribution, and also introduced factors like technology to make us less of a subject of traditional evolution, instead inventing one of our own unintentionally which we are now starting to come to grips with." but try putting that on a T-shirt.

And as far as space goes, since our species has been on a quest to become progressively taller and thinner as time goes on, space is the next logical step, I agree.

I can live with that.;) Either way, you can live with conditions that are lethal unless cared for and still procreate. People mostly decide for themselves if they want kids.
(Also, re the verbosity, I'm a stay at home dad with a masters degree, I really miss theoretical discussions. Just to break up the 'how much can a dog poop'-discussions)

Studying Biology has given me an appreciation for how far we're come as a species and also equipped me to have hour-long conversations about many useless but interesting things, dog poop being among them. For example, did you know that a change in dietary supplements and dog food in general have led to the disappearance of a certain white-colored kind of dog poop, which was a key ingredient in some tanning processes and actually led to problems in the leather industry for a short time?

Troubled Child

Gang Champion
Jan 2, 2018
UK
And as far as space goes, since our species has been on a quest to become progressively taller and thinner as time goes on, space is the next logical step, I agree.
At 18 I was 6 foot tall and weighed 8 1/2 stone (that's 54kg), almost designed for space travel. Now I'm older and weigh more so it is going to take a lot more fuel to get me off the ground 😰

Reactions: SuboptimusPrime

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
@MedMos It's just one of dozens, nay, hundreds of things I can talk your ear off with.

Another one: the famous dance performed by bees to indicate distance and amount of food cannot account for the Z-axis in a coordinate system. One of many experiments which proved this involved positioning a bee hive at the bottom of a tall mast and then taking some of the bees to a food source at the top before letting them loose. This leads to the whole hive churning about at the base of the tower, as they are unable to communicate that the food is high above them. According to the original research notes, it is also "a great way to make bees very angry."

And for the record, they found out bees automatically adjust themselves up or down when looking for food, incidentally about the same distance as the height of a lot of trees. Their dance-based communication just doesn't contain a detailed concept of "up and down" while it has very detailed "which direction and how far" concepts.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I was in a work meeting this morning (on Zoom) when I thought I heard something fall over in the bathroom. At first, I didn't think much of it, figuring maybe the noise actually came from next door. Then it happened again and, at this point, I was a bit puzzled what was going on, as my partner and I were both downstairs. Still, being in a meeting, I couldn't go to check.

Suddenly, out the corner of my eye, I saw something move in the hallway. I thought it might just be a shadow or reflection at first, but then realised that a small bird had somehow got into the house, so I had to leave the meeting briefly while we chased it into the spare room and out of the window.

I'm still puzzled how it got in to begin with though. Until we were trying to chase it out, we hadn't had any windows or doors open this morning. I doubt it had been in the house overnight, so I'm guessing it must have found a way in under a loose tile or something and hoping that there's no a big hole somewhere...

EDIT: I suppose it's just as well that we were working from home. If something like this had happened in 'normal times' - i.e. when out all day - then who knows what havoc the bird would have caused before we got home.

Last edited:

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
In my first apartment a previous tenant had made a marijuana grow room in the attic and had cut large vent holes into the eves for air flow. The landlord never patched those holes, so birds were constantly nesting in the attic/upstairs (it was a walk-up attic). Our cats kept giving us baby chicks as presents...

Reactions: SuboptimusPrime

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
My go-to method for birds in the house was always giving it one good earnest try to catch them. If that failed, I went and found the nearest cat, aimed it in the general direction, and let nature take its course.

Hm, weird, there was a bit about a raven here, I went back and corrected a spelling mistake, and now it's gone for some reason, I just noticed.

Missing segment restored: Except one time an actual raven once found its way into the upstairs bathroom of my parent's place, and hid itself there for almost a whole day. We only noticed because the cats suddenly refused going into the bathroom when they usually napped on the heated floor there during winter. Getting that thing outside was a challenge, they're pretty big up close, their beaks hurt, and as @SirFrog mentioned, they're pretty clever too.

Last edited:
Reactions: MedMos

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
My go-to method for birds in the house was always giving it one good earnest try to catch them. If that failed, I went and found the nearest cat, aimed it in the general direction, and let nature take its course.
My brother ended up in a situation like that with a seagull in the house. Problem with the cat solution is...
It was the cat that dragged the seagull into the house via the cat flap then sat back to watch what happened...

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
My brother ended up in a situation like that with a seagull in the house. Problem with the cat solution is...
It was the cat that dragged the seagull into the house via the cat flap then sat back to watch what happened...

That is true. Upside with several cats, the chances that the one you grab is not the one who brought the bird into the house in a quest for mayhem increases exponentially. We had three cats, so chances were usually good.

Sundown Dreamer

Gang Champion
Mar 6, 2018
Tübingen, Deutschland
We had talked about inexpensive paint shakers (Liquid Vortex Mixers) here on March 9th. I just wanted to report that I was able to put mine into operation with a new travel plug from US to EU Schuko sockets.

The mixer shakes well with a mixing ball in the paint. However, you have to hold the paint pot or bottle tightly all the time. With multiple colors, it can be a bit uncomfortable and boring. So that I don't have to keep the color all the time, I tend to buy one of the cheap Shaker models with rubber band as additional support.