What's on your mind?

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Anything relating to GWAR is awesome. I picked up a copy of their miniatures game “Rumble in Antarctica” but never managed to score any minis.

I always thought it was Hell-maw-rrr (and so I never tried to pronounce it out loud).

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
And how does one actually pronounce “Helmawr”?
It’s another in a long line of Games Workshop names that you can assemble 10 people and get 10 different results, to a lesser or greater extent.

I mean “Games Workshop” itself is apparently pronounced as “Warhammer” these days. For decades I was prounouncing it as “Games. Work. Shop”.
How wrong you can be.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
Learn to speak Welsh and it'll be second nature.

Its pronounced exactly as it reads. Hel Mawr

Screenshot 2021-06-22 102454.png

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
There's a pronunciation thread around here somewhere where we delved into various GW words and how people were pronouncing them.

Edit: Here it is, quite a fun thread with lots of regional input.

A lot of variation around amongst those of us whose game info was just read in WD or word of mouth via friends back in the day, before there was a multimedia infosplosion before every release with the designers themselves talking about them (even if they are, on occasion, wrong *shakes first in grognard*, mutters "tirrinid" indeed, tsk, I'd be totally terrified if I was chased by a "tirrinosaurus" or the leader of my country was a "tirrint" *mutter grumble*)

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
Another thing in that vein, the changing stance on "do we translate certain words in other languages" over the years was always sort of baffling.

I remember reading "Beasts in Velvet" back in the day when all German translations of GW novels were done out-of-house by Heyne. They translated everything literally which gave us gems like "A warpstone-tainted dwarven slayer" being translated to "ein vom Verwerfungsgestein verdorbener Zwergentöter" which is approximately "a dwarf-killer changed by fault stone".

Most of the time they didn't get it slightly wrong, it just sounded weird to have everything translated. It's like translating Space Marine to Weltraummarinesoldat. It just feels kind of wrong.

Gunkaiser

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
Another thing in that vein, the changing stance on "do we translate certain words in other languages" over the years was always sort of baffling.

I remember reading "Beasts in Velvet" back in the day when all German translations of GW novels were done out-of-house by Heyne. They translated everything literally which gave us gems like "A warpstone-tainted dwarven slayer" being translated to "ein vom Verwerfungsgestein verdorbener Zwergentöter" which is approximately "a dwarf-killer changed by fault stone".

Most of the time they didn't get it slightly wrong, it just sounded weird to have everything translated. It's like translating Space Marine to Weltraummarinesoldat. It just feels kind of wrong.

Is it wrong that I think Weltraumarinesoldat sounds cooler?

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Is it wrong that I think Weltraumarinesoldat sounds cooler?
It makes sense. The phenomenon at work here is "it sounds better in another language". I bet there is a word for that in German, but it escapes me. Anyway, same reason pithy sayings sound more profound when they come from another culture and stuff from far away is always popular by virtue of being exotic.

Also: Sadly, nobody would ever call it a Weltraummarinesoldat. We'd probably just call a guy like that "Soldat" and depend on the context where necessary. German has a lesser known tendency to avoid wielding the power of the compound noun whenever possible. Otherwise, words like Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftsvorstand would be standard, and ain't nobody got time for that.

Crazy Ivan

Gang Hero
Nov 5, 2019
Culemborg, the Netherlands
It makes sense. The phenomenon at work here is "it sounds better in another language". I bet there is a word for that in German, but it escapes me. Anyway, same reason pithy sayings sound more profound when they come from another culture and stuff from far away is always popular by virtue of being exotic.

Also: Sadly, nobody would ever call it a Weltraummarinesoldat. We'd probably just call a guy like that "Soldat" and depend on the context where necessary. German has a lesser known tendency to avoid wielding the power of the compound noun whenever possible. Otherwise, words like Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftsvorstand would be standard, and ain't nobody got time for that.
At least you guys still use compounds! In Dutch the official norm is also compound nouns, but nowadays, confused by English, more and more people just separate out each of the components of such words. Which looks even worse.

For the record, Space Marine would be ruimtemarinier in Dutch, but we don't normally get translated versions of anything except kids' shows (which 40k isn't) so outside of some early 2000s edition starting boxes all GW material has been in English over here.

All that said, Van Saar ganger names usually sound hilariously banal, or ridiculously wrong, to me! :D

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Is there some lore or historical justification that Van Saar gangers should have Dutch names? Or is it purely because of their gang name? Often wondered...

Reactions: upsetter40

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
At least you guys still use compounds! In Dutch the official norm is also compound nouns, but nowadays, confused by English, more and more people just separate out each of the components of such words. Which looks even worse.

For the record, Space Marine would be ruimtemarinier in Dutch, but we don't normally get translated versions of anything except kids' shows (which 40k isn't) so outside of some early 2000s edition starting boxes all GW material has been in English over here.

All that said, Van Saar ganger names usually sound hilariously banal, or ridiculously wrong, to me! :D

In German, the tendency is to just import English words, and sometimes give them a new ending. This has been going on for a while and works well for nouns (I grew up with it being called "Rechenmaschine" or "Rechner" yet I'd rather use "Computer"), but I cringe a tiny bit every time I use stuff like "gedownloadet" which is starting to be used more widely than "heruntergeladen". Changing times though, might as well roll with it.

And I think I can relate to the Van Saar names thing. WHFB Empire books and lore had a LOT of really oddly mangled German names in them.

Is there some lore or historical justification that Van Saar gangers should have Dutch names? Or is it purely because of their gang name? Often wondered...

There's lore bits here and there that Van Saar was the name of an engineer on one of the original colony ships which came to Necromunda. So, kinda? Might be they have a list of names from that ship and it was full of people from the ancient Terran region called the low lands? 💁‍♂️

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
There's rumblings on the internet; facebook posts from FLGS, YouTube commentators making opinion piece videos:

Dominion hasn't sold out (yet) - like people seem to think it should have.

I've seen a FLGS Facebook post saying they still had stock - more stock than they hoped to be left with, so have lowered their prices to shift their remaining boxes. The post has since been updated to show their stock has no sold out.

I've also seen some posts about retailers getting stock taken back by GW, either to induce FOMO, keep profits up at GW's end or to keep GW's stock up.

I've watched this YouTube video pondering on the "still available" nature of the limited edition/quantity coins inferring the stock hasn't shifted (and a little follow-up video too), and this YouTube video about the GW stock return from FLGS.

So I had some thoughts:
  • Has the tide shifted on GW's FOMO release strategy? Are people fatigued from so many releases, or fatigued from trying and failing to acquire boxes?
  • Has the pandemic shifted expectations of the release schedule for a core game box, i.e. since nothing has been happening tournament wise could GW have got another year before needing to release a new edition
  • Are people just not interested in the box contents? Are people just waiting for the rulebook to be released separately to save cash?
  • Speaking of cash, given the FLGS sold out when they lowered their prices, is the box overpriced for what people see in the box? For what people *want* from the box (and sell the rest on eBay, share with their friends etc)? Are the Stormcast players sceptical of being able to shift the Kruleboy minis? Are the new Stormcast too similar to the old ones for Orruk players to be able to shift them? Are those armies too oversaturated with minis that even those players can't justify even more models in their armies?
  • Are people just simply happy with AoS 2.0? Do people think the change isn't necessary, and since there's no tournament scene for a while money can be saved by playing what they know at home for now?
  • If people want AoS 3.0, is it the mini choices in the box? Does yet another Sigmarine and Orruk matchup fail to excite given the lack of investment in renewing other factions? Are the factions that are constantly getting refreshed at the expense of others getting "boring" or "oversaturated"?
  • Did the queue system on the site work to dissuade scalpers, or did it dissuade more people than that? Does it tie in with the fatigue of missing out making people think "I'll sit in this queue and wait to find out they're out of stock anyway, so sod it"?
  • Are GW doing a stealth Made To Order and are adapting to demand?
  • Are people somehow protesting the debacle of Cursed City?
Lots of thoughts, there, actually.

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
My gut instinct is they've shot themselves in the foot with that "wait an hour to buy it" queuing system. People either didn't care enough to bother waiting or spent the time thinking what else they could do with that money. That doesn't explain the independent store not selling out though.

I've also noticed a distinct lack of wider hype about this release - usually it trickles into the various FB groups I'm in, but this time it seems to be "oh, they're releasing new AoS. That's nice I suppose... Wasn't Fantasy Battles great back in the day!"

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I could be wrong, but my impression is that there was much less lead-in time to this than there was for 40k. In that case (40k 9th), everyone seemed to have been expecting it for a while. This (AoS) seemed to come out pretty quickly after being confirmed.

That said though, I like the fact that people didn't need to order in the first hour to get the limited edition.

almic85

Cranky Git
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Honestly I think it might be a bit of everything rolled together.

They may have learnt from the Indomitus box set that not producing enough of these limited edition type boxes is bad PR and produced a metric shit tonne of them.

They may have over estimated the popularity of a limited edition box to AoS players.

They may have overestimated the level of excitement for a new Orc faction that is noticeably different to the existing Orc factions and won’t match them on the table top.

They may have overestimated the level of excitement for sigmarines of any variety (I mean who actually likes them?).

They may have announced and released a new edition way to close the final book of the last edition, though this would have affected Kragnos a bit more.

If you factor in an increase of production by GW, a lack of interest in the two armies by most players, a lack of any decent savings on the box if you don’t want either and can’t sell either, it’s starts to become obvious why it hasn’t sold out as quickly.

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
They may have overestimated the level of excitement for sigmarines of any variety (I mean who actually likes them?).

That's an easy one to admit, I do. I enjoy the massively over-the-top heroic silliness my Sigmarines represent, and I have an army of them. I just don't post about it here because most of it isn't painted yet, and in any case the AoS discussion here on Yaktribe is usually

"oh, they're releasing new AoS. That's nice I suppose... Wasn't Fantasy Battles great back in the day!"

And since I am here for Necromunda and sundry most days, I go elsewhere when I want to talk about AoS. ;)

But I do agree with pretty much the rest of your post here, there was a weird combination of a box that was styled as a luxury item but delivered in the volumes of a normal release with a faction everyone already has tons of (the real Stormcast problem in my opinion is oversaturation), another that generated mixed and puzzled reactions in the community, and finally a new edition after people felt not much happened in the old one due to tournaments being on hold for over a year and only now slowly starting up in some places.

From what I am seeing on the ground in my FLGS, people are buying preordering the box, but many are buying the separate rulebook instead this time. And those that do buy the box often put up the orc half for sale, so @Gunkaiser might be getting his wish for cheap orc Krulboys (Or is it Crulboyz? Kroolboyz?) soon, if that's a universal thing.