What's on your mind?

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
I'm only mildly interested in AoS. In as much as I only play Warcry. And we tend towards the Warcry OG chaos factions rather than wider AoS faction's.

Was this actually AoS a limited edition like indomitus? I thought it was just the coin things that were limited?
All seems a bit overblown esp. that FLGS. I mean preorder period hasn't even finished yet so having excess stock smacks more of his having cash flow issues. That said the kruleboyz do seem divisive. As for Stormcast, well I kind of dislike them in every GW picture but everytime I see an alternative colourscheme usually silver armour and darker coloured capes with head swaps, I think they look cool and fun. Armour is just oversized like many anime knight depictions.
It's just a shame a headswap seems essential to recover them as models.

I'd be more tempted if they did a first strike/recruit edition style £25 entry box if just for paintings sake...
Oh well probably just as well.

Crazy Ivan

Gang Hero
Nov 5, 2019
Culemborg, the Netherlands
I think the Dominion Stormcast are the best looking ones so far - far better proportions and they're continuing a trend the started with the Sequitors where they actually have interesting and varied head options. The winged leader doesn't do much for me but the rank and file are looking very nice.

That said, my main "problem" with AoS is that I'm already far too invested in Necromunda and 40k and so really don't need another game system (having kids doesn't help with time...). Also, I seem to just like the SF angle better than the high fantasy background. I'm not opposed to it, I really like many of the models etc., but background-wise it's just not making me as enthusiastic as 40k.

The one major thing AoS has going for me over 40k is the varied factions. But there's still little history behind it so new factions too often are a case of "Remember the New Guy" (I'll not link to TVTropes for those who have better things to do), and in that sense I like 40k more (even though they do the same just not for factions but for units and individuals). There's more of a sense of place and time.

Reactions: SuboptimusPrime

almic85

Cranky Git
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
See @Crazy Ivan I’m kinda the opposite. I vastly prefer fantasy things over sci fi things. I just don’t like the story and scale of AoS where it currently sits. It’s too abstract high fantasy with not enough gritty real life talked about and too much information on all the bigger bits of history that aren’t important to creating a link with your characters.

To be frank though I also don’t really like the current 40K story and scale of games, and their insistence on the inclusion of special characters in every army.

Really I prefer games played by human sized infantry with the occasional vehicle or monster with no special characters. You know the faceless grind of war that is meant to be the real horror in the grim dark universe instead of the mighty clash of universe renowned heroes against titans and planet killing monsters.

Honestly how many battles can Guilliman turn up to at the same time when there are only meant to be 1000 Ultramarines in total.

Necromunda fits into a nice niche for me simply because it is the story of faceless peons eking out existence in a really grim and dark setting with no real hope of anything better. Though the more special characters and links back to the houses and guilds they create the more that uniqueness of the game crumbles away.

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
See @Crazy Ivan I’m kinda the opposite. I vastly prefer fantasy things over sci fi things. I just don’t like the story and scale of AoS where it currently sits. It’s too abstract high fantasy with not enough gritty real life talked about and too much information on all the bigger bits of history that aren’t important to creating a link with your characters.

To be frank though I also don’t really like the current 40K story and scale of games, and their insistence on the inclusion of special characters in every army.

Really I prefer games played by human sized infantry with the occasional vehicle or monster with no special characters. You know the faceless grind of war that is meant to be the real horror in the grim dark universe instead of the mighty clash of universe renowned heroes against titans and planet killing monsters.

Honestly how many battles can Guilliman turn up to at the same time when there are only meant to be 1000 Ultramarines in total.

Necromunda fits into a nice niche for me simply because it is the story of faceless peons eking out existence in a really grim and dark setting with no real hope of anything better. Though the more special characters and links back to the houses and guilds they create the more that uniqueness of the game crumbles away.
I would like to leave a 'like' on every single point made. Agree all the way.

Crazy Ivan

Gang Hero
Nov 5, 2019

Oh I do agree. Apart perhaps from the SF bit, though I should note Mordheim used to be one of my favorite GWs settings. But I’m also a sucker for modern miniatures (which Mordheim doesn’t have), so here we are. If GW had kept the old World as a setting but updated it with modern miniatures and made the units more skirmish-like as in AoS, I would have had an Empire army already. But I consider that setting as Low Fantasy, which is great, while the High Fantasy angle of AoS doesn’t grab me as much, exactly for the reasons you mention.

Really agreed on the point of special characters vs. “your dudes”. That always used to be the main pull for GW games for me too. I got interested in 40k around the days of 3rd edition when special characters were few and far between and needed an opponent’s permission to be played. My dream used be a custom Guard Regiment, just a group of rank and files dudes, holding the line against the horrors of the universe.

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017

Interestingly there's no named characters in Warcry... 😉

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
I tried a game of AoS years ago, was alright, but ended up being a blob fight in the middle, kind of like Lord of the rings games back in the day did. It seemed to have potential as a game, but yeah, the whole asthetic doesnt work for me. I used my empire on their square bases to play so no great loss, but yeah, I'll keep with the old world setting and just half inch the nicer models from the new ranges that I can use in my old armies.

The push for large single entities in AoS and 40k has been a turn off for me, knights, primarchs, nagash, the other crazy big things in AoS I dont even know the names of... between that and the AoS theme I have no interest in AoS and little interest in 40k (certainly wouldnt start it now if I didnt already have my guard army).

But the models are nice models, like objectively nice, just not for a game I have an interest in.

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
I've played about a dozen games of AoS in my time and every single one has gone this way without exception.
I've played maybe a handful, and same story. It makes sense that the game is shifting towards larger, more powerful single monster-type miniatures. It gives you at least a little bit of option in avoiding some parts of the enemy, and it lets you pack more punch in one location. I played Vampire Counts, and I needed a huge blob of skellies to have the same killing power as my Chaos opponent, and just couldn't bring it all to bear against him. On the other hand, my Varghulf chewed right through those tin-cans...

Reactions: spafe and Tiny

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
I've played about a dozen games of AoS in my time and every single one has gone this way without exception.
Props for giving it a chance, I keep getting the feeling that it never had a single aspect you liked from the start, and I know I dropped plenty of rulesets before playing even once because I figured they weren't for me.

And while I will bring up that this doesn't really reflect my experience, I also know that has everything to do with the fact that the few games I played in AoS 2.0 were all with my Kharadrons, and not joining the big krumping in the middle of the table by flying away with their boats is kind of what they are about.

Reactions: Tiny and Stoof

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
Props for giving it a chance, I keep getting the feeling that it never had a single aspect you liked from the start, and I know I dropped plenty of rulesets before playing even once because I figured they weren't for me.

And while I will bring up that this doesn't really reflect my experience, I also know that has everything to do with the fact that the few games I played in AoS 2.0 were all with my Kharadrons, and not joining the big krumping in the middle of the table by flying away with their boats is kind of what they are about.

It actually has a few aspects I like. I loved that I could port my entire 40k Nurgle daemons army over, that it needed less minis than WHFB and some of the new minis were really cool. I even collected a reasonably sized stormcast army for it.

After a few games I found that every game felt the same, regardless of which faction I was playing and without universal special rules I spent more time looking through model stats than ever before. Many of the new factions were also just terrible, although some are great. For example, Nighthaunt and Gloomspite Gits are really cool, thematic factions. Ossiarch Bonereapers and cow elves not so much.

It is entirely possible that the factions I’ve played (Nurgle and Stormcast) are just too similar and that trying something with a different play style would make for a different game. Sadly I’ll never find out as I refuse to buy a third core rule book for the same game.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Has anyone heard anything about Start Collecting boxes?

Someone in a local group just posted something about buying a couple (of CSM ones) before they get discontinued. I hadn't heard anything about this, and they are not in the 'last chance to buy' section of the GW site, but I see that there are some no longer available:

For the orks, that could just be because they're getting new infantry models, but I don't see why the Primaris marines would be OOP.

Crazy Ivan

Gang Hero
Nov 5, 2019
Has anyone heard anything about Start Collecting boxes?

Someone in a local group just posted something about buying a couple (of CSM ones) before they get discontinued. I hadn't heard anything about this, and they are not in the 'last chance to buy' section of the GW site, but I see that there are some no longer available:

For the orks, that could just be because they're getting new infantry models, but I don't see why the Primaris marines would be OOP.
The Start Collecting boxes are slowly being replaced with Combat Patrol boxes. All the unique Vanguard Primaris are now in a Combat Patrol box.

Reactions: almic85 and Ben_S

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
My youngest yakling built this, just playing on his own. I sense a great gift in this one...
qVT1VbP.jpg

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
About 3 years ago I paid off my minivan. I guess 3 years with no car payments was a good run. Quite frankly I’m surprised it made it one last trip to the car dealer. Went from a 2008 Chrysler to a 2017 Subaru. Guess I better make my unpainted minis last…

Reactions: Space Truckin
Jul 15, 2020
I was thinking of ideas for a narrative team tournament. Each player would divide their forces from a standard army list into seperate groups, like a set of detachments. They would assign these to warzones in secret before the battles. Each warzone would have specific terrain setups, hazardous environments, mission objectives, and a few GM surprises. These would not be standard 40k tables. Some would be so choked with terrain even 40mm base models would have trouble. Others would be wasteland shooting galleries with superheavies ruling.

Results from one warzone affect the others, more or less in real time. Like as an example, as soon as the big red button on Table 1 is pushed, the effect happens the next player turn on Table 3 and 4.

I'm trying to have large scale battles with multiple players, without the barrels of dice and hour long turns of old Apocalypse. If each player only has like 500-1000 points at a time, it could be more manageable.

Surving units of all previous battles could slug it out in a battle royale if time permits.

I have the terrain but no players and no scenarios yet. Narrative should not mean horribly unbalanced.

I would want to set up alliances among faction lines that make as much sense as possible.

Thoughts?

Last edited: