What's on your mind?

The whole moving process is a nightmare. I hope it goes smoothly as can be.
Thanks, I think what's most frustrating is that it doesn't feel it needs to be as difficult as people make it. People in this case being conveyancers.

Its doubly frustrating as my profession is project management, and the staggering lack of it across the multiple parties involved makes me itch. It surely can't be beyond the wit of man to make this whole process work more smoothly

Thanks, I think what's most frustrating is that it doesn't feel it needs to be as difficult as people make it. People in this case being conveyancers.

Its doubly frustrating as my profession is project management, and the staggering lack of it across the multiple parties involved makes me itch. It surely can't be beyond the wit of man to make this whole process work more smoothly
This sounds they are hating their occupation and wilfully sabotaging it.

Reactions: Stoof
I've moved twice in my adult life and neither time has gone smoothly entirely due to the "professionals" involved. The worst was when we had put the offer in and it had been accepted it but then the conveyancer started kicking off about a wheelchair ramp that had been fitted to the front of the house in the 1970s, and removed again in the late 80s as far as anyone could tell. It had been removed even before the lady selling moved in. Nobody cared about its non-existence except this one bloody conveyancer and apparently "where's the ramp gone" was a hill he was prepared to die on... asshat delayed us moving in for a whole month.

I suppose my house buying wasn't particularly problematic, but then I've only done it once so I've got no comparison.

Nevertheless, I'd prefer to not have to sell my current house or buy another one for as long as possible.

One thought; perhaps there's so many landlords because they too dread the problems trying to sell a house from a procedural standpoint? They just keep buying their next house and rent out the old one as it's an easier proposition?

Reactions: Aulenback
I've bought twice, and sold once, but I was back in rented accommodation in between. I feel like being in a chain would be even worse, though I'm not quite sure how.

At least here in the US it seems like the only people who can afford to buy housing are landlords, so more and more property is getting into fewer hands because our economy is so screwed.
Here in Canada, investment corporations have, since around 1990, more and more leaned into property ownership and rental as secure profits. They especially in recent years, take advantage of relaxed legislation restrictions over the past decades to leverage their already-owned multiple properties to afford to outbid home buyers, then increase rents demanded so as to cover that high loan plus profits... which then "increases the market value" of both property and rentals.

It isn't just the United States. Canada may be lagging a few years behind, but that crisis is noticable here too.

It's strange. In the 1930s, tenants' revolts against predatory land-ownership. In the 1830s, tenants' revolts against predatory land ownership. Every hundred years, someone thinks "but THIS time will be different, because THIS time it is ME." And then pitchforks and torches.

I wish that capitalists had to actually study capitalism - like Smith, not Rand. Reading Rand leads to Thatcher, which then leads to books like Rogue Trader.

Last edited:
Dear Board gaming types of people with families,

I came to the realisation today that over the last couple of years I have become boring and have little to talk to people about other than my own crazy thoughts born of isolation. How do you get out there and meet real people with real interactions (since COVID, since children, etc)?

Reactions: Space Truckin
get out where?
there is nothing outside since 'the incident' we must not mention

I came to the realisation today that over the last couple of years I have become boring and have little to talk to people about other than my own crazy thoughts born of isolation. How do you get out there and meet real people with real interactions (since COVID, since children, etc)?
Don't underestimate crazy thoughts dreamt up in isolation, they are often the only ones you can truly call your own. That said, it depends on what is stopping you at the moment and what you are looking for. If it is as simple as finding people with similar interests then meetup.com or something similar might be a good place to start. Is there a FLGS or board game cafe in your area?

It may seem very daunting to just rock up to something, but if there are any board game or wargame clubs or events in your area, go along even if you don't know anyone there. Most places I've experienced are very happy for new faces and once you'e been the first time It's not so daunting.

But don't worry about being boring. Most people are.

In the process of moving house, or should be, planned move date was today but it's not come together.

Won't rant fully here because I'm not sure I have the energy for it, but I will say this, conveyancers are the worst people on this planet.
Sorry to hear you've had problems. I don't know the particulars so I won't comment. Buying a house is one of the most expensive and stressful things a person can do, yet most people spend more time considering a car purchase. Consecutive Governments have tried to 'streamline' the process without understanding the legal ramifications, an average fee for a conveyance is £300 , the same as it was in the 80's. Most matters are referred by an estate Agent, who take a cut of £100 - £150, despite charging the seller £2k. Out of the £150 that's left a conveyancer has to pay banks to be on their panels, practice fees to their ruling body, and spend time doing Anti-money laundering checks on money that has already passed through a bank. At the end of it there's very little left to pay staff and other operating expenses. The only option is to pile the work high, employ inexperienced staff, pay them very little and do it as fast as possible to have any hope of turning a profit. And as everyone knows, when you rush, mistakes happen. There are extremely good conveyancing firms out there, but they are few and far between as most clients won't pay the higher fees. The whole industry is worse than our favourite dystopian game, tethering on the brink of collapse. The funny thing is, no one has noticed.
And for clarity - I'm not a conveyancer, I'm the poor sod who has to clean up when it goes wrong and it does an awful lot of the time. Land law in England and Wales is not simple as it's based on hundreds of years of legal wrangling and precedents. It's not a simple paper transaction. It needs time care and consideration to make sure that a client has a good and clear title to the property they purchase. Unfortunately, the modern world want's everything instantly and what should take 6-8 weeks minimum to do a proper job, is given 3 -4 weeks max.
The best advice I can give any of the Yaktribe members who are moving house in the near future is to look at the actual fees you are paying the conveyancer in the quote, not the payments to the bank, tax man or the land registry which are paid on your behalf, but the actual fee paid for the conveyancer's service and don't be pressured into using a law firm recommended by an Estate Agent, use someone recommended by a friend or colleague you trust. Pay the highest you can afford, after all, you get what you pay for.
I hope this is of some help for future purchases.
Cheers(y)

I assume you're talking about gaming and not trying to meet someone for a relationship? For gaming there's local clubs, FLGS, and Facebook groups to see who's playing what in your area for starters. It can be hard getting out there and meeting new people to share the hobby with. I know in my area the gaming scene is rather dismal unless you're a GW fanboi and want to go to the GW store, or want to play Magic. Otherwise, It's a drive to get to a decent store for me.

Reactions: Biggle_Bear
There was an app for finding local gamers and gaming events. I used to have it, but I don’t anymore. I never used it.

Unfortunately the nearest flgs that I am aware of is quite a drive.

Not necessarily meeting people for game related activities but that would be my first choice.

Obviously it is location specific but there seems more gaming clubs, and gaming cafes than ever before where I am.
I know of 5 social clubs ranging from Classic Wargames (WW2 style) through Warhammer to boardgames and the lighter social side.

Most have a cost per night just for space rental it's usually only a couple of quid. I'm located between 2 games stores and nearer city has 2 -3 game cafes. Though the latter has had constant turnover one shuts down every couple of years with a new one starting up at similar timescale.

Anyway if you haven't got that sort of thing I would hit up Facebook to find out what other meetups you have locally. One near us doesn't call itself a gaming club but a sci-fi society that mixes book club and boardgames.

Failing that you can always start one? Had started a nice little gathering for boardgames in my village pub on a Thursday nights before COVID killed it. (Pub changed hands and reopened as an Italian restaurant)

Obviously the last suggestion is easier if you have a core 2-3 people or so otherwise it's harder to steer a group without a core who have shared values, but still doable. Good luck anyway.