CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
I’m not saying to do it now.
Just when I was first in the hobby, I spent a lot of time wishing I had the models, whereas, had I spent relatively nothing and used cm instead of inches, I could have had a blast! (All the rules for everything was in the 40k box set!)
....except I didn’t
....it was never something I ever thought of doing until yesterday! 😅

(the epic minis might not have been too detailed, but a ten man tactical squad of marines was still just as recognisable at that scale!)

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
I played it as a kid, where each epic 'unit' (base of 5 guys) represented a model. Allowed us to play using easy rules of 40k, with scale of huge armies fighting as that squad of 10 guard in 40k was now 50 men, so you could have companies of men being sent to stop a horde of orks that numbered 200 and it only be a 3 40k unit v an ork unit.

If that makes sense.

We also kept the inches, so weapons could actually fire a long way rather than all having really short ranges.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
My experience with Epic actually started with third edition, in the mid 1990s, and not with Titanicus or Space Marine [in contrast to the other games like Space Hulk and WH40KRT]. Official model support for it from GW was ... brief. Digging out older sets of models in abandoned boxes at Local game Stores means that I do have a few of the "five square" bases among the "five line" bases, but my Epic "army" ended up consisting of ... Terminators and Thunderhawks, really. Truly, we did not see much of GW's 6mm line here in our stores, so what we could get played an inordinate role in army construction. A shame. Rules-wise, it wasn't bad, even in retrospect.

The idea of proxying in Epic 6mm stands to be [RT or 2nd ed 40K] models using 40K rules and measurements didn't occur to me, mainly because THOSE models we could easily get.

EDIT: Related question, WHY is Aeronautica Imperialis not 6mm? Why make it its own scale, when they CAN now cram the detail into 6mm plastics, and that would have left it as scale compatible for Adeptus Titanicus players?

Last edited:

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
EDIT: Related question, WHY is Aeronautica Imperialis not 6mm? Why make it its own scale, when they CAN now cram the detail into 6mm plastics, and that would have left it as scale compatible for Adeptus Titanicus players?
I've not paid a lot of attention, but this is my understanding...

Old versions of Epic were (roughly) 6mm for most troops and tanks, but closer to 3mm scale for titans, because GW couldn't make them big enough.

AT is in fact the same scale (6mm), but with the titans scaled up to the 'proper' size that they should have been all along - it's just not obvious because so far I think they have only done titans.

I don't know whether this is true or not. Perhaps it's just some retcon justification for what GW did for other reasons anyway. But it did always seem (as someone who hardly played Epic) that Epic scaling was rather 'off' in some cases. (Of course, it might be that 40k was the one that was wrong...)

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Epic scaling was rather 'off' in some cases.
Oh, it definitely was, but GW is being explicitly clear to discourage any idea that Adeptus Titanicus and Aeronautica Imperialis are the same scale. And I think that's a pity. I don't play either game, at present, at all. But to me that seems a missed opportunity. It would be like running two 40K lines, say, one at 28mm and one at 25mm, at the same time, and declaring them incompatible through rules and sales.

Aside: Love the look of those new ork fliers.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Aha! This is what is now on my mind. GW is hopefully doing interesting things with genre. And things that might be inspiring for Necromunda too:

Warhammer Crime, like Warhammer Horror before it, is a new range of books that will explore a different side of the Warhammer universes – in this case the grim, dark future of Warhammer 40,000. To introduce you to what it’s all about, here’s the series premise, direct from Black Library’s editors:
292b360d-675x1024.jpg

Expect hard-bitten investigators chasing dangerous leads, crime lords, femmes fatale and all the other defining features of crime stories that you know and love – but set in the the 41st Millennium.

The range will be launching with a novel by Chris Wraight and an audio drama by Alec Worley – and we’ve got an exclusive look at the covers and the back-of-book descriptions for you.

Bloodlines
by Chris Wraight

In the immense city of Varangantua, life is cheap but mistakes are expensive. When Probator Agusto Zidarov of the city’s enforcers is charged with locating the missing scion of a wealthy family, he knows full well that the chances of finding him alive are slight. The people demanding answers, though, are powerful and ruthless, and he is soon immersed in a world of criminal cartels and corporate warfare where even an enforcer’s survival is far from guaranteed. As he follows the evidence deeper into the city’s dark underbelly, he discovers secrets that have been kept hidden by powerful hands. As the net closes in on both him and his quarry, he is forced to confront just what measures some people are willing to take in order to stay alive…

Dredge Runners
By Alec Worley

Baggit is a fast-talking ratling sniper with a greedy eye and loose morals. Clodde is an ogryn, a brute with a core of decency and a desire for a better life. Two abhuman deserters turned thieves, at large in the monolithic city of Varangantua where only the tough or the ruthless survive. Having landed in debt to a savage crime lord, Baggit and Clodde end up in the crosshairs of the meanest, most puritanical sanctioner in the city. Caught between two powerful enemies, and with innocent lives at stake, the unlikely companions must think fast and hustle hard before death points a las-pistol in their direction…
d9a8243b.jpg

These titles will be closely followed by another pair of releases. The short story anthology No Good Men will include seven tales of locked-room mysteries, missing persons, serial killers and more, written by some of Black Library’s most devious minds. Alongside that, you’ll be able to get Flesh and Steel by Guy Haley, in which a probator must work alongside the Adeptus Mechanicus to get the bottom of a string of murders that straddle Imperial and Martian territory.

Baggit and Clodde. Yes, indeed.

Last edited:

TabulaRasa

Gang Hero
Jul 26, 2018
Stockholm
On the topic of Epic scale for regular 40k: back when I was a juve there was a couple of guys working at my local games store that did exactly that for a trip to Latin America. They magnetised each model and had a board where they could stick them to - much like those travel chess boards! Thought it was brilliant at the time.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
A year or two ago there were a couple of Yakkers who were doing “micromunda” with magnetic travel boards that folded up into their own carrying case. They kinda disappeared around the time that N17 was announced.

I had original Adeptus Titanicus, Space Marine, then Epic. Played a grand total of one game. I even considered rebasing my 5-squares onto 5-lines, but then I decided to just sell it off.

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
I've not paid a lot of attention, but this is my understanding...

Old versions of Epic were (roughly) 6mm for most troops and tanks, but closer to 3mm scale for titans, because GW couldn't make them big enough.

AT is in fact the same scale (6mm), but with the titans scaled up to the 'proper' size that they should have been all along - it's just not obvious because so far I think they have only done titans.

I don't know whether this is true or not. Perhaps it's just some retcon justification for what GW did for other reasons anyway. But it did always seem (as someone who hardly played Epic) that Epic scaling was rather 'off' in some cases. (Of course, it might be that 40k was the one that was wrong...)
Best in mind the original Adeptus Titanicus was just the Titans. The Epic stuff came a bit later and 6mm was the smallest you’d really want to go with those models.

New AT I ha heard was 10mm scale? It could still be 6mm but without troops it’s kinda moot.

Plus with old Epic you had the classic mix of 3mm high bases for titans, 1mm for troops no base at all for tanks. So heights were all over the place.

Later Epic 40,000 tried to merge them all to 1mm high bases but by that time it was on its way out.

It would be like running two 40K lines, say, one at 28mm and one at 25mm, at the same time, and declaring them incompatible through rules and sales.
May I introduce you to the world of fantasy! Warhammer at 28mm+ and Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit at 25mm.

Reactions: Aulenback

Sethmerlin666

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Honored Tribesman
Jan 31, 2018
Payneham Road, Payneham SA, Australia
This popped up my my Youtube feed today, a really cool take on using Necro rules to make for a fun narrative RPG style experience.
Love seeing the huge amount of potential rules being put to fun and atmospheric use like this.
Also a solid shoutout to the Yak community for making the rules work.

Daniel36

Ganger
Mar 5, 2018
Heerhugowaard, Nederland
On the topic of Epic, I also always had the idea of playing regular Warhammer with smaller sizes, where one base would have more models on them but count as one base per WHFB rules. I never gotten around to it and honestly, I no longer have love for the Old World, but it would have been so much cooler and make more sense too.

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Wasn’t “Warmaster” a 10mm or 15mm scale game for the Old World? Both of those are standards for different historical game ranges. I never did see it locally, and was already invested in 25mm anyway at that point, so I don’t entirely remember, or know any details of its gameplay.

Reactions: spafe

Daniel36

Ganger
Mar 5, 2018
Heerhugowaard, Nederland
Yes, Warmaster was a smaller scale (I think 10mm) game, but it was also very different mechanically from WHFB, and they kind of did the same thing with Warhammer where the scale is too big for what they tried to convey.... Or at least I feel that way.

Scavvierising

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
Wasn’t “Warmaster” a 10mm or 15mm scale game for the Old World? Both of those are standards for different historical game ranges. I never did see it locally, and was already invested in 25mm anyway at that point, so I don’t entirely remember, or know any details of its gameplay.
Warmaster was 10mm. A game system to far for me at the time. But now I think about it armies were a lot cheaper over all so I think I missed a trick there.
Then again at my local GW beyond a few people buying a few bit's on release, it never gained much traction.

Reactions: Aulenback

Daniel36

Ganger
Mar 5, 2018
Heerhugowaard, Nederland
Thing is, there are currently no ranges that have 10mm models that perfectly fit my vibes, so I never pursued, but for me, 10 or even 6mm would be far better for wargames than 28. Alas, no good ranges for me.