N18 Which rules? Returning player

GuardianLight

Oct 13, 2020
Thanks everyone. I think I’ll stick with NCE for now but I might get a copy of N18 just for ideas and lore. Is there a downloadable book on here that includes the fluff?

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
Thanks everyone. I think I’ll stick with NCE for now but I might get a copy of N18 just for ideas and lore. Is there a downloadable book on here that includes the fluff?
Don't think so. Mostly downloadable stuff is rules centric. Think you might need actual book for latest fluff. If you're not bothered by actual rules, the earlier release stuff (pre 2018) is available pretty cheaply 2nd hand as alot of people offloaded them when the 2018 compilation made them redundant. Though that said some gang war books (e.g. 2) were incredibly thin on actual content.

Seriously I know someone who offloaded all boxset rules and 4 gang war books for a fiver, but ONLY if you're just after fluff and a sense of the new game. Rather than rules to play.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
It wouldn't be a good idea to buy the book, except for the purpose of fluff and artwork. If you want that, I would actually recommend you to buy the books. And that's the first time I make that recommendation.

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
If you’re just after the fluff and an idea of how the rules work then the older books from 2017 known as the Necromunda: Underhive rulebook and the Gang Wars 1-5 have fluff and rules that work similar to the current hardback and people may want to offload them cheap (I know I do).

What city/country are you in? You might find some Yakkers that would be happy to pass them onto you if you are in the same area, but postage will likely be a killer for the number of books involved.

Vonvilkee

Gang Hero
Jan 7, 2018
Bellingham, Washington USA
If you’re just after the fluff and an idea of how the rules work then the older books from 2017 known as the Necromunda: Underhive rulebook and the Gang Wars 1-5 have fluff and rules that work similar to the current hardback and people may want to offload them cheap (I know I do).

What city/country are you in? You might find some Yakkers that would be happy to pass them onto you if you are in the same area, but postage will likely be a killer for the number of books involved.
Media mail in the US helps a ton with stuff like this.

ntw3001

Gang Hero
Feb 17, 2011
Essex, UK
- Alternating activations. It makes the game much more interesting from a tactical standpoint, and it eliminates the "first turn wins" syndrome that is inherent in some miniature games.
My experience was the opposite; N18 is the only version where I have had a game settled on turn one. It was a tunnel scenario that allowed the Goliaths to set up within charge range, so they could use multiple activations and tactics cards to charge all my sentries before I took a turn. My only dice rolls were armour saves and I only touched my models to take them off the board. I've never played a game with less game in it.

- Non random advancements. This was a big problem in Oldmunda. In a campaign setting it was inevitable that some players would, through good dice rolls, get a much more powerful gang than others. Sadly, the game developers didn't go all the way with the change, and kept random advancements for gangers, while all other fighter types got the upgrade.
Fair enough, although I actually consider this a downside. Ganger advances are more useless than before because the stat block is laden with mental stats that do almost nothing (or on release, did literally nothing). Buying champions and advances off the shelf, on the other hand, as well as the change to the rare trade system, means that you can easily have exactly the same gang in every campaign you play. There's the off-chance that a ganger will get a useful stat, which is nice, but that's basically it. Skills are a non-factor -- they're a terrible purchase compared to stat increases, so it's pretty much limited to the couple of skills you pick from the list for a new leader or champion. Almost a hundred skills exist on paper, and almost ten skills exist on the table.

There's just nothing of the old emergent development. Your leader could get +1T a game earlier than last campaign, or you could have to wait another couple of games to buy the third champion with fast shot and a grenade launcher who's going to get an armoured undersuit, +1T, carapace armour, +1BS, photo-goggles and +1W in that order. It's a 40k-style list-building game, whereas the older game was more about working with what the dice gave you. The codexes that have been released so far continue with this, restricting equipment for Troops choices and offering new troop types for the Elite and Fast Attack slots. The game seems to be being developed on a collision course with Kill Team.

Reactions: almic85

MrAndersson

Gang Champion
Sep 18, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
My experience was the opposite; N18 is the only version where I have had a game settled on turn one. It was a tunnel scenario that allowed the Goliaths to set up within charge range, so they could use multiple activations and tactics cards to charge all my sentries before I took a turn. My only dice rolls were armour saves and I only touched my models to take them off the board. I've never played a game with less game in it.
That game is obviously the product of poor scenario design, and has nothing to do with alternating activations or not.

I don't know which tactics cards were played, but they could be a possible culprit as well. Tactics cards, in my opinion, were a great idea that was implemented in a horrible way. The game is better without them.

Reactions: TopsyKretts

GuardianLight

Oct 13, 2020
Derbyshire, UK. Not really cost effective from Australia, sorry! Believe me, I tried to have Tim Tams shipped here!

The book description mentioned a campaign Arbitrator. Is this role the same as always? I’ve been the arbitrator in our current campaign, writing the story line and designing the scenarios, and I’ve found this essential to keep the games balanced and missions working properly.

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Derbyshire, UK. Not really cost effective from Australia, sorry! Believe me, I tried to have Tim Tams shipped here!

The book description mentioned a campaign Arbitrator. Is this role the same as always? I’ve been the arbitrator in our current campaign, writing the story line and designing the scenarios, and I’ve found this essential to keep the games balanced and missions working properly.
Yes, the arbitrator is essentially the same function. It’s just someone to hold the group together, push the core storyline of the campaign, keep track of campaign stats and make sure no one is becoming too powerful (or cheating!).

Just like ORB/NCE you don’t really need one if you have a good group of players, but it helps having someone steering the ship and making sure any rules discrepancies are interpreted the same.

GuardianLight

Oct 13, 2020
Do models still have a facing? I always thought having a 90 degree “visible arc” was silly in a skirmish game and led to a lot of unnecessary rules problems.