WHQ: Blackstone Fortress

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Does it sound more appealing as “a winter Mordheim ruined city, fought over by rat-men and zombie redcoats”? That is essentially what it boils down to. Undead taking the place of the nutcracker soldiers, and the skaven taking the place of the rat army, skirmishing through the winter snows.

Because having a “Christmas Village” on display is a North American tradition for the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Space Truckin

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
If we are not fighting genestealer cults by the end of 2019 I will be shocked.
Ha!

...But that would be a pretty easy "fan expansion" to make, of a Genestealer Cult also sneaking aboard the ship, and genestealers present.

The Ambull expansion is exciting, so glad they're continuing to delve into old ideas rather something dull like a horde of Necrons appearing...
Agreed. Jokaero would also be a good encounter, and to be honest, that's why a "lone Genestealer monster" [rather than lone Tyranid monster] mission would be a good parallel to the Ambull. It hearkens back to Rogue Trader days, and early Space Hulk. At this point, nostalgia is a selling point.

On that note, other good ideas either for GW or for "fan made expansions" would be either a Squat solo adventurer [as they did with Necromunda], or perhaps a Demiurg; a Jokaero hero OR encounter; an encounter mission that is actually ANOTHER party of adventurers, but hostile ones....

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
The reappearance of Sensei Warbands?
Or an extremist inquisitor [isn't that all of them, really?], whether "death to the rogue trader associating with xenos," or "these xenos secrets are mine and cannot be shared!" But we already have a bunch of Inquisition models, I suppose. What is not available, or else has not been available for a LONG time? That's how we got a warband full of ratling snipers, exodite sharpshooters, and robots, I suppose.

I mean really, I am surprised that we have not already seen a batch of "custom hero cards" for various miniatures, to expand your team of heroes. Those are the easiest ones to create, since they don't need to be shuffled into a deck.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Zoats and Slann have also been missing for awhile, I've been out of the 40k loop for ages, so I'm not sure what else is missing or what else has returned.

Reactions: Aulenback

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
I'd love to see a modern iteration of a 40k Slann. I'm not sure whether they were completely retconned into being the "Old Ones" or whether they are still a seperate entity - I don't think they've been mentioned by name for a long, long time.

Zoats might be inclided as part of a Genestealer expansion.

I think we might see more brand new stuff - the only "native" creature to the Fortress we have is the spindle drone. I wonder if we might get some more unique Fortress gribblies - perhaps like a Constructor from Borderlands, but schmooooved like a spindle drone.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Issy-les-Moulineaux 92130 France
Maybe this should go in another news thread.

GW announced a new boardgame at the new New York Toy Fair: Combat Arena.
It looks quite similar to Gorechosen (but in 40k), but that's not the point. The point is the new miniatures (including a new Rogue trader) that would function perfectly as new explorers for BSF (or characters for Necromunda):
NYToyFair-Feb15-CombatArenaMinis5evdfg.jpg

NYToyFair-Feb15-CombatArenaMinis4wjvbfrc.jpg

NYToyFair-Feb15-CombatArenaMinis3oejvf.jpg

NYToyFair-Feb15-CombatArenaMinis2uevr.jpg

NYToyFair-Feb15-CombatArenaMinis1ejv.jpg

and this:
In fact, the set is a prequel to Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress, and that ancient structure has further perils in store for them – keep an eye out for them in an upcoming adventure pack…

Last edited:

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Oooh.
Yum. Into my Necromunda Gang with you! Sure, the gun will need to be purely cosmetic, but who cares! I'll buy you a grapnel, and will consider this it!

And yes, if GW misses the boat on coming up with "adventurer cards" for each of these, I am sure something "fan built" can exist in short order.

Edit: Though your quoted text at the end suggests that there is no fear of that -- OR of needing to pick up the boxed game outright - we may be seeing them in one or more adventurer packs afterward!

Edit again: Relatedly, yet another Underworlds set featuring... Yet another "Sigmarines" faction! Sigh. The Nighthaunt don't look to be as different from the current banshees unit as the Chainrasps warband was from the chainrasps unit either. Meh.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThreeDice and Stoof

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Oooh.
Yum. Into my Necromunda Gang with you! Sure, the gun will need to be purely cosmetic, but who cares! I'll buy you a grapnel, and will consider this it!.
add a couple loose wires and that's why it's cosmetic. the grapnel sounds like a cooler option.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE: the adventurer pack will just be the cards to adapt them to BSF. You'll still need to buy the set they come with.