WHQ: Blackstone Fortress

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
My Ambull pack arrived today - looks like a nice model, and the borewyrms are nice too. Could use a few more of those as counts-as Millisaurs for Necromunda (eyes up bluestuff). Rules for this separate quest seem to be almost as water-tight as the core game, but there are a couple of things that aren't quite clear:

• Ambulls & Borewyrms treat other hostiles as if they were explorers (i.e. they'll attack them given the opportunity). Hostiles in turn treat Ambulls as explorers. There's a hole in that neat little exchange though - RAW other hostiles will not treat Borewyrms as explorers. I'm not sure if this is an oversight, or if it's intentional that even if they're in the process of being nommed on by a big maggot critter, other hostiles won't fight back. The two rules are stated immediately after one another, so it seems like an unlikely oversight, yet if it's true it's very strange. It's easy enough to just go through your order of operations to determine what they will do if they genuinely disregard the creature that is trying to chew their leg off, but logically I feel they should just fight the flippin' wyrm :LOL:

• The Sett VII Precipice add-on space station thing has two sides - under construction and completed. I assume this is for a specific reason, and completion is triggered somehow, but it doesn't appear to be mentioned anywhere. It tells you to place it incomplete side up, then it's never mentioned again.

Oh, and I guess there will be at least four expansions, purely based on how the Sett VII integrates with the Precipice board.

Sethmerlin666

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Honored Tribesman
Jan 31, 2018
Payneham Road, Payneham SA, Australia
• The Sett VII Precipice add-on space station thing has two sides - under construction and completed. I assume this is for a specific reason, and completion is triggered somehow, but it doesn't appear to be mentioned anywhere. It tells you to place it incomplete side up, then it's never mentioned again.
I haven't got one yet but have watched a play through, i believe it is completed when you collect enough ambull parts to complete it's research, then it becomes another trading vessel complete with unique equipment.

Reactions: Stoof and Aulenback

Stoof

Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
That doesn't appear to be mentioned anywhere in the books in the set. I guess that might be what's in the secret envelope I haven't opened.

Stoof

Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
The exploration/encounter cards have different symbols at the bottom left - a black Ambull head or a purple one with a triangle behind it. The black ones you can just shuffle into your encounter deck during regular games to add variety. It says to exclude the purple ones.

Last edited:

Stoof

Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Nah, you'll be fine. It's a big ol' batch of extended fluff really and won't spoil the game. It's also pretty good, though the author does like to call a spade a manual earth reallocation and removal enabelment component and there were several words I admit I had to look up. There is a niggling sense he was just being wilfully difficult with some of his writing. But maybe that's just me :LOL:

HiveJive81

Ganger
May 10, 2018
United States
So, I've been trying to see if anyone has a 'formula' for brewing up custom adventurers that isn't "use something similar to the included adventurers", because we're discussing doing 2 and 3 man Deathwatch teams, or maybe running a Boarding Party of Scions with an Inquisitor, or something like that.

Anyone got anything?

Reactions: Space Truckin

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Personally, I want to play through more of it to look for synchronicities, but if you track back through I think THIS thread, someone did a breakdown of dice odds and the core explorer characters.

Edit: apparently not this thread. Another thread here. Will search for it while you search for it.

Edit too: aha! It IS this thread!

WHQ: Blackstone Fortress
and Thorgor’s following posts down that page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoof

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
As a note, the January White Dwarf - entirely sold out - had an article interviewing the chief illustrator for BSF about the visual design for the game and the paintings. It was brief, and superficial, but an interesting start to what I hope has become a series.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
A question - the “Traitor Command” adventure pack is likely soon on pre-order. The video shows a scattering of cards, SOME of which are the unit and initiative cards. Has anyone seen any work by folks sussing our what sorts of cards will be there? Challenges? Items? Engagements?