WHQ: Blackstone Fortress

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
A Deadly Lure
A dangerous quest sees the explorers attempting to manipulate a wild Ambullinto serving their purpose – a bold gambit for sure, but will it succeed, or are they just playing with fire? Catch the first four stages of the expedition in June’s issue.”

Reactions: Space Truckin

Sethmerlin666

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Honored Tribesman
Jan 31, 2018
Payneham Road, Payneham SA, Australia
A Deadly Lure
A dangerous quest sees the explorers attempting to manipulate a wild Ambullinto serving their purpose – a bold gambit for sure, but will it succeed, or are they just playing with fire? Catch the first four stages of the expedition in June’s issue.”

got my ambull coming next week, got some bday vouchers. Couldn't justify the expense myself... Just in time to have multiple ways to play with it!

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
The cost of the Ambull set feels steep for our budget - but depending on the rules in White Dwarf, it might warrant sketching a copy of the Ambull antagonist sheet, and scratch building a model or an equivalent.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Also: played a “test and learn the rules” last evening with my wife Wanda. Just a partial run to test out all the core rules. We very much enjoyed the mechanics, had just enough random uncertainty to make for just enough tension, lost Vorne OOA to a challenge (20 seconds to roll 1-2-3-4-5 on five dice and stack them), and so forth. Realized a VERY easy way to up challenge later is to eliminate model limits by using stand-ins (so allow more than four ur-ghouls on the board, for example). All in all, enjoy the game. It wasn’t the same rules as HeroQuest, but it felt very HeroQuest.

And we liked the spending of dice resources mechanic, having to figure out what to do with the numbers you have this turn.

Last edited:

Sethmerlin666

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Honored Tribesman
Jan 31, 2018
Payneham Road, Payneham SA, Australia
yeah it's a real fun game, pick up and play but gets pretty immersive with the stress of the challenges. the mechanics to inspire are a cool thing too, gives each character more flavour trying to trigger their inspiration points.

Reactions: Aulenback

Space Truckin

Gang Hero
Dec 16, 2015
Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI
Thinking the same thing, I have a gift certificate - do I put it towards the ambull and possibly the new heroes set OR a 3d printer and really trick things out?

The 3d tiles ive seen are scaled up to accommodate 3 minis. Really makes the game look amazing but having a hard time getting things painted as is...do I really want to add printing and more painting :oops:

Reactions: Aulenback

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Yeah, I decided against the 3D tiles because of storage and painting ... and storage. It is already a big box now without 3D tiles, and that's without considering the bigger expansion late this year [four more explorers, a handful of cultists].

Last edited:
Reactions: Space Truckin