WHQ: Blackstone Fortress

Trafalgar Law

Gang Hero
Mar 14, 2017
Chorley, Lancashire, UK
This looks quite interesting. Potentially a good way to look at some of the more obscure parts of the 40k universe.

At the very least it'll be a good source of minis for that =I=28 warband I've been meaning to create for years.

Reactions: Aulenback

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
This looks quite interesting. Potentially a good way to look at some of the more obscure parts of the 40k universe.

At the very least it'll be a good source of minis for that =I=28 warband I've been meaning to create for years.
Really and for true. Additionally, if they DO hold to the HeroQuest/WHQ format, WHQ back in the day allowed them to occasionally publish "single character expansions," that is to say "individual model with its rules." And that is something that could - even more than Necromunda - allow for a host of "not suitable for Space Marine Giant Battles Scale Army" characters from the corners of the setting. Sculptor has an inspiration for a wicked character model? Release it for Blackstone Fortress or WarHammer Quest. This could be good news for us.

Game design-wise, the HeroQuest/WarHammer Quest format is a solid one with decades of playtesting.

Modelling-wise, an excuse to one-model release any cool thing their often phenomenal sculptors these days can come up with, human, alien, merchant, adventurer, you name it.

Business-wise, an excuse to easily overcharge just a bit on each individual model, because the lower price-point in comparison to buying twenty models at once means folks are more willing to pay that overcharge.

And I do want that Kroot model, regardless anything else in the box, even if somehow they cack up the game design [despite decades of design and playtesting], even if somehow they fail to follow through on it with any expansion at all [despite the 1990s release showing the success of that exact release template].

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Sadly the WHQ Silver Tower game used completely different rules, and unsurprisingly was crap.

Well, that's... unfortunate.

Oh well....
*the captain begins to burn his plans for spacehulkamunda*

Don't burn it yet. Might yet be call for you to adapt the old WQH ruleset for BSF. Because, you know. Decades of design and playtesting.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
I for one, would fully support space-hulk Munda.

Similar to the Tor Megiddo guys, crews of space rogues, crooks and pirates raiding derelict hulks and ships and fighting other crews of rogues, crooks and pirates.

It’d be great!

Necromunda works surprisingly well in loads of different contexts, not just on high towers and gantries.

I'm currently putting together a flatter "shanty town" style terrain set which will be at most buildings with flat roofs, maybe some connected by walkways. Hope to one day run a campaign set on a desert world with nomadic gangs and loads of sprawling shanty-style zones.

Hulk-Munda would be awesome and much like N17 core box setting. The Yggdrassiliuum table @neil101 made is a great example of a hulk-based campaign.

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
I wouldn't let it get you down Cap - if you want to play spacemundahulkquest, you do it!

Years ago, I played in a Necromunda campaign based on board a wrecked Imperial battleship. The story was that after several generations of the vessel being knocked out, the descendants of the crew were fighting amongst each other. Scenarios revolved around the atmosphere processors etc in the heart of the ship between the various "houses" - Van Saar technicians, Goliath "deckhands", Cawdor priests, Escher "army followers", Orlock marines and Delaque bridge crew. There were various rules for gravity generators failing, re-breather/oxygen tank use in vacuum areas, hull breaches etc.

Lots of Space Hulk tiles in use for that one - I think we had four full sets going at the time. Thinking back N17 tiles would have been absolutely perfect for it.

If you run it, they will come!

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
First look at the opposing force today. It looks like the Rogue Trader and his crew won't be fending off the forces of Chaos, or Tyranids, or even Necrons but will get the chance to be horribly dismembered by something completely New & Different:

BlackstonePreview-Nov1-Content1jvfr.jpg

Color me happintrigued at this development.

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Intriguing! I hope they get some traditional Quest multi-race variety in there too and it's not all... whatever they are.

Reactions: SumpRat

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
First look at the opposing force today. It looks like the Rogue Trader and his crew won't be fending off the forces of Chaos, or Tyranids, or even Necrons but will get the chance to be horribly dismembered by something completely New & Different:

View attachment 69755

Color me happintrigued at this development.

Ooh, that's really cool. New 40k faction maybehaps?

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Little Martian tripods! Oh! Oh my!

Oh.

Ahem.

Well.

And it looks like they are a "basic swarm" creature, so likely a few of them. I may be buying the game just for the miniatures, really, if this keeps up. Where I am foregoing the Speed Freeks box (!) and instead buying the piecemeal "extras" [a couple of buggies, mek's workshop], this looks like the toys IN the box will be the very thing.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
I hope they get some traditional Quest multi-race variety in there too and it's not all... whatever they are.
I've read people talk about previous search parties from various races being lost in the fortress (I think it's from today's video but I can't listen to it right now). If true, they could serve as random advanced encouters while those little guys would be your bread-and-butter mooks.

Maybe, but personally I'd rather they use 40k Quest as an opportunity to do original stuff they wouldn't be able to develop on a larger scale for 40k.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada

To be honest, they have a visual similarity to some of the Necron line, so my guess would be EITHER Necron-faction-related gribblies, or possibly Old-One-Frog-People-related gribblies. That said, I whole-heartedly agree with:

Maybe, but personally I'd rather they use 40k Quest as an opportunity to do original stuff they wouldn't be able to develop on a larger scale for 40k.

Whether that is minor side-elements of known "factions," or entirely original/minor elements outside of factions [the way they used Dark Eldar retinues as an excuse to include some other species, Inquisitor retinues the same, and Necromunda to include some far-outside-the-military character archetypes]. Yes, the "villains" need an overall-coherent theme so as to make the narrative an evocative one [although the original WHQ mixed orcs and skeletons and chaos], but the protagonists can be an excuse for a WIDE range of character types, and need not at all be all "human/order"-aligned. Ork Freebooter? Sure. Sslyth pistoleer? Why not. Ogryn servitor? Of course. Harlequin mime? Entirely possible. Dark Mechanicus infiltrator? Yup.

Things that don't fit the large-scale Armageddon Battlefields, but work on the off-screen scale of this sort of game.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
OK, I've listened to the video now. Other parties are indeed mentionned but only as dead bodies (presumably slained by the Fortress automated defenses eons ago)

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
I am not disappointed in SW:A, but only because I view it as an extra tack-on to ORB Necromunda/GorkaMorka, with more gangs, and some skills tree tweaking.

I am not picking up Speed Freeks, because so much of the box price appears to be the six bikes, and NOT the rules [thanks to pre-release gameplay videos for an understanding of the rulebook and game itself]. I am picking up for GorkaMorka a couple of the buggies that gave Speed Freeks the excuse to be plunked in its box.

This one looks intriguing. In part because so much of HeroQuest/Warhammer Quest's continued support was fan-made, not requiring GW competence or an attention to a promise of continued support, in part because there is a LOT of potential even in just the models in the box [and heck, the floorplans in the box] to have a utility for me in OTHER in-setting skirmish games [like Necromunda/GorkaMorka/SW:A, and like Space Hulk]. But I will be tentatively optimistic, waiting to see the full collection of toy soldiers in the original box, and not assuming anything further will be published.

SirFrog

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Honored Tribesman
Mar 1, 2015
Luleå, Sweden
No one would have believed in the last years of the forty-first millennium that human affairs were being watched from the timeless depths beyond space.
No one could have dreamed that we were being scrutinized like someone with a microscope studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.
Few men even considered the possibility of life in other galaxies.
And yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably older than ours regarded this galaxy with envious eyes, and slowly, and surely, they drew their plans against us.
BlackstonePreview-Nov1-Content1jvfr.jpg

OOOOOO-LAAAAAAAAAAA

https://www.warhammer-community.com...ne-fortress-3-the-fortressgw-homepage-post-1/

(Not quite appropriate, but close enough)

Chivers7

Gang Champion
Oct 22, 2017
Hampshire, UK
No one would have believed in the last years of the forty-first millennium that human affairs were being watched from the timeless depths beyond space.
No one could have dreamed that we were being scrutinized like someone with a microscope studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.
Few men even considered the possibility of life in other galaxies.
And yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably older than ours regarded this galaxy with envious eyes, and slowly, and surely, they drew their plans against us.
View attachment 69817
OOOOOO-LAAAAAAAAAAA

https://www.warhammer-community.com...ne-fortress-3-the-fortressgw-homepage-post-1/

(Not quite appropriate, but close enough)
These look very much like they take inspiration from the war of the worlds in their design.

A new race perhaps?

Reactions: Aulenback