• YakTribe will be migrated to a new server on Monday night, April 12th after 2am GMT and should be available on Tuesday morning.

WHQ: Cursed City - Coming soon

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Is anyone interested in the upcoming WHQ: Cursed city?

It seems to borrow heavily from BSF in some of its mechanics - from what we saw of the box contents it has the same initiative tracker, 4D6 dice pools for the players, extra Fate dice pool, and the same triangle hit dice system. It has a black D12, presumably replacing the black D20 in BSF.

Capture.PNG

Differences I've spotted so far include it being square based rather than hex (classic WHQ stylee there) and the cover system must work differently - there has been a preview of some board tiles and there's not a thicker "cover" line to be seen. And everything's connected with extra doorway pieces rather than just flowing together (makes sense in a city rather than a weird alien space station).

I think it'll feel more claustraphobic than BSF - the "standard" room size seems to be four squares by three - pretty small. Connected witn narrow doorways this doesn't leave much scope for ranged combat, but this is befitting a game where close combat is probably going to feature more heavily than shooting.

Some of the models look pretty sweet as well.

I'm tempted to buy it, but I won't be pre-ordering.

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
I think the models are excellent and its probably going to be a fun game - I won't be preordering or anything like that but I'll see how reviews go when it is released.

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
We had a blast playing BSF and the cursed city models look good... But still have some BSF expansions to play through (and build/paint😞) and I'm slightly concerned it will be too similar an experience.

Kind of hoping someone else in my gaming group goes in for it so I can play it. But holding of thoughts of buying till I make more progress with painting existing BSF & Warcry models.

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
One of my local gaming crew snagged a copy from a local store. The store owner wouldn't do pre-orders as his allocated stock was too low,.and what he had sold out in 5 mins.

Reactions: Space Truckin

Space Truckin

Gang Hero
Dec 16, 2015
Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI
Good stuff man! Enjoy it! I think I'm going to pass on this one. Too much in queue.

Been checking out some YT gameplay and it looks like fun

Seems to be questions on whether this is getting a reprint. Showing no longer available and graphics pulled from the webstore.

Last edited:

Jacob Dryearth

Gang Hero
Sep 6, 2016
I got mine preordered at a local store that is getting 8 copies. As someone who played through BSF, I enjoyed it well enough, but CS to fix all the annoyances it had:

1) In BSF some characters had to inspire anew each game, while others were permanently inspired once they found a special item. This made some characters just plain better. In CS, there are no such items, everyone must collect 3 glory to inspire each adventure. I still think Inspiration is a strange mechanic for a dungeon crawl, but it gives each player a little goal every game with tangible bonuses.

2) Rolling adversary actions per model is tedious, adding very little to the game. Thankfully CS goes back to the Silver Tower style group activation.

3) CS has an actual leveling system, every few you gain a new ability. It isn't WHQ95 amount of detail, but it's better than nothing. Adversary groups scale with level as well. BSF had only items, and it was very easy to get the best equipment after just a few of adventures. Yet to be determined how itemization is in CS, we'll see.

4) BSF was very repetitive. Now I assume CS will be as well, but the campaign basically forces you to alternate between 4 adventure types, some with random exploration and some with set arenas.

Unrelated to comparisons I also like:

1) Gravesand story hook making it plausible to kill the same named enemy many times.

2) The day and night cycle adding an effective timer, Dragon Strike had such a mechanic with the dragon showing up if you didn't hurry up.

3) Driving off adversary groups makes a different monster card come out, so you can face more types of adversaries each adventure.

4) The models, great for all kinds of skirmish games!

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
What's "CS"?
Cursed Sity I guess.

Pleased we managed to get a copy. Not personally but the guess I played my BSF through with have bought a copy for us to play through together.

I agree BSF did get a little repetitive. We tweaked the rules over our campaign to keep the difficulty challenging though so wasn't too bad.