Why Necromunda?

Sundown Dreamer

Gang Champion
Mar 6, 2018
Tübingen, Deutschland
I like Necromunda as a skirmisher, to lead a gang and to rejoice with her and to suffer. I collect, play and fight not only to fight, but to tell varied stories. The story in my head is as important to me as anything else.

By comparison, Kill Team is for fast battles and / or to advance to WH40k with its large armies. But I find no favor, in huge 40k armies and too unrealistically crowded tables.

In my opinion, Necromunda is also the central station from which to begin the journey into the WH40k universe. You can find almost anything there and Killlzones, KT Rogue Trader, Blackstone Fortress, Sector Imperialis and Spead Freek too, were all novelties whose miniatures and terrain also go well with and to Necromunda.

They would be a good fit, but the book theater and current company policy for Necromunda is unfortunately not very encouraging to think outside the box. It would therefore be important to know if and how Necromunda continues and grows as a "red line" to follow.

:)

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
I like Necromunda as a skirmisher, to lead a gang and to rejoice with her and to suffer. I collect, play and fight not only to fight, but to tell varied stories. The story in my head is as important to me as anything else.
Let it out of your head, start a thread...I have one "Elmer Hoofstrike". :)

By comparison, Kill Team is for fast battles and / or to advance to WH40k with its large armies. But I find no favor, in huge 40k armies and too unrealistically crowded tables.
It's good but a lot of work to get there. A poorly skilled or experienced player will not make themselves happy in a massive game. :( :)

In my opinion, Necromunda is also the central station from which to begin the journey into the WH40k universe. You can find almost anything there and Killlzones, KT Rogue Trader, Blackstone Fortress, Sector Imperialis and Spead Freek too, were all novelties whose miniatures and terrain also go well with and to Necromunda.
Not so much (IMHO). Nec is a spinoff that the GW forest models don't fit without creative fluff as an example. A Firebase is not built in a hive in my exposure to the fluff. 40K itself is the core upon which the rest of the games feed. You are right though, it's not the first place to start the hobby. :)

They would be a good fit, but the book theater and current company policy for Necromunda is unfortunately not very encouraging to think outside the box.
The game box? :D I save my bellyaches for the sump vent thread. :)

It would therefore be important to know if and how Necromunda continues and grows as a "red line" to follow.

:)
I am going to follow it. (Red line??) :) I hope you enjoy the game, even the flaws. :)

DArquebus

Ganger
Aug 7, 2012
Sydney, Oz
I got into Necromunda as the setting is very evocative, the miniatures were cool, and the game system was a more granular version of the then current 2nd Ed 40k.

Was much quicker to collect and and even convert and paint a gang, especially on my then meager gaming budget :p .

It critically allowed for advancement of every fighter... similar to my first love BB (they admitted to swiping the ideas from BB at the time :) ). So it really does become a hard bitten and sometimes crippled collection of fighters for whom you remember the stories of each battle scar and kill mark... and I love that. Narrative gaming baked into the actual system. Indeed, one of our key gripes with Mordheim back then was the lack of flavour in the 'Henchmen' group models compared to the loweliest juve in Necromunda.

Great terrain out of the box. I remain very jealous of the Historical gamers I see playing Bolt Action/ CoC/ etc over little model recreations of France Bocage regions etc. Comparitively the 40k tables always seem lacking to me. Necromunda respects a terrain heavy board, the rules, and forces, don't bog down in moving through a complex 3D (or even 2D now) environment. And that makes for some wickedly good aesthetics in a battle :)

Re: N17 - I love the new models... I am waiting on feedback on the new books (having 'wasted' cash on the GW(1)... ) before diving back in. I expect and kind of hope they continue to release stuff. Outlander reimaginged or otherwise whould give some cool new models as well. And they set up the teasers for different environements like other Hives, the Spook/ Ghast gangs underground, etc to release possible mini-setting books as such as well.

My main gripe is that they seem deteremined to drag out and sub-divide the content into less than bite-sized chunks that are all sold for a premium.

Necromunda into the future:
I guess I don't view GWS support as mandatory to continue to explore Necromunda into a ripe old age :p . We carried on past their support in the past and we can do so again. More cool minis would be welcome. Enjoyable and complete new rules scenarios, sub-settings, etc would as well... but if all else fails we have NCE or even the ORB and our own gaming know-how to continue playing and enjoying the hobby and introducing to new players as well :)

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
way back before I had yaklings I bought any and all games I thought looked cool. most have been read, but now sit languishing in boxes because no one else was interested (Elfquest, Trinity, Psi World, Tank Girl, etc). ORB sealed the deal for me.

everything was there in that box. I wasn't a huge fan of the no-neck ork-armed plastic Goliaths, but there were some cool metal minis too! And I didn't have to buy another army, which was good because I was busy buying up armies for 40k, WHFB, Epic, BFG, Warzone: Mutant Chronicles and eventually LotR. Plus I also had Blood Bowl, Gorkamorka, and Mordheim.

ORB had it all: setting, cool minis, a wide open field to create terrain, character advancement, all creating a unique story line based on games. it was easy to get others into as well.

eventually I had yaklings, and the games had to start going. the ones I never ever got a chance to play went first. Then the ones I got to play like once. Then all the "extra" armies from 40k. That leaves me with BB, Nexeomunda, and my favorites from 40k (Space Wolves, Sisters of Battle, my own all-plastic Knights Crusader, a small all-plastic Khorne themed group, and Harlequins -originals-)

I never stopped building for Necromunda. When I decided to sell off stuff, I made new gangs using leftover minis (marauders became my Vikings gang, free company became another gang, and an empire box became my foofy big-hatted posh gang). And terrain. I keep finding cool bits to make into terrain.

Eventually I found Yaktribe and NCE. Then N17 showed up, priced way out of my reach. I've still only played ORB, but I keep many projects going in what little time I get to myself. I may sell all my 40k and BB, but I think I'll always keep Necromunda.

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
way back before I had yaklings I bought any and all games I thought looked cool. most have been read, but now sit languishing in boxes because no one else was interested (Elfquest, Trinity, Psi World, Tank Girl, etc). ORB sealed the deal for me.

everything was there in that box. I wasn't a huge fan of the no-neck ork-armed plastic Goliaths, but there were some cool metal minis too! And I didn't have to buy another army, which was good because I was busy buying up armies for 40k, WHFB, Epic, BFG, Warzone: Mutant Chronicles and eventually LotR. Plus I also had Blood Bowl, Gorkamorka, and Mordheim.

ORB had it all: setting, cool minis, a wide open field to create terrain, character advancement, all creating a unique story line based on games. it was easy to get others into as well.

eventually I had yaklings, and the games had to start going. the ones I never ever got a chance to play went first. Then the ones I got to play like once. Then all the "extra" armies from 40k. That leaves me with BB, Nexeomunda, and my favorites from 40k (Space Wolves, Sisters of Battle, my own all-plastic Knights Crusader, a small all-plastic Khorne themed group, and Harlequins -originals-)

I never stopped building for Necromunda. When I decided to sell off stuff, I made new gangs using leftover minis (marauders became my Vikings gang, free company became another gang, and an empire box became my foofy big-hatted posh gang). And terrain. I keep finding cool bits to make into terrain.

Eventually I found Yaktribe and NCE. Then N17 showed up, priced way out of my reach. I've still only played ORB, but I keep many projects going in what little time I get to myself. I may sell all my 40k and BB, but I think I'll always keep Necromunda.
A tear falls from my eye, the left one. The right one is bionic. :)

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Because it’s awesome.

When I was much younger (preteen) and the only person I knew to play games against was my brother Necromunda was able to be bought and played right out of the box with no additional spend required.

I never finished my first fantasy army (orcs) or my first 40k army (Orks), but Necromunda was always there and ready to be played.

Fast forward to now and with a mortgage, 2 car loans and a 2 year old my reasons for not having money to spend on miniatures is different, but Necromunda is still the relatively cheap option for GW game entry.

Plus it’s awesome.

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Pandemics & Trolls!
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
I’ve also discovered more recently that the appeal to me is making your own unique things for the game.

I thought I’d be well excited about all the new releases but the N17 box has languished on a shelf since I bought it last year, just sticking together stock kits is just so boring! Convert convert convert.

I’m not entirely sure when this happened to me? Is it because the game wasnt supported for so long that I’ve turned that way or is that what has kept me interested for so long?!? Weird.

Sundown Dreamer

Gang Champion
Mar 6, 2018
Tübingen, Deutschland
Interesting answers.

Partly they reflects what I think. Necromunda is for creating, converting, scenery and terrain modelling and here on yaktribe are really, really great and inspirational works! Sometimes, in admiration, I even forget that I wanted to make something myself and my head stores more ideas than I have time and space.

I never had or played the old NEC. I only knew the different rulebooks (ORB, Living, Community), Fanatic Online PDFs, Anthony Case's, Necromonicon and others. These PDFs and many posts and pictures excited me for Necromunda and inspired my imagination and dreams. Accordingly, the anticipation and expectations were great when in 2017 "Necromunda Underhive" was announced.

The new background and world feels different, but it's nice to have the new gangs. I like their appearance and could not resist the KT Rogue Trader miniatures and scenery and save for some Forgeworld too, but for the rest I still get at the moment the most suggestions from the old Necromunda PDF's. And as a newcomer I'm missing more new gangs (The Guilds, Enforcers, Ash Waste Nomads, Pit Slaves, Shanty Town Citizens). If its necessary I could imagine additional 'Outlander' and 'Ash Waste' games too. Or as example a game where the law comes to a shanty town and investigates a guild, or has to find and arrest some rioters among the population.

To be honest the thread question came about for a variety of reasons.

Secretly I hoped that someone possibly would respond something like, "because we will be getting more new extensions to "Necromunda Underhive" in 2019".

After the unexpected early release of the new rulebook and 'Gangs of the Underhive' I am unsure whether they continue all their intentions and as a buyer and collector of Gang War I - IV, I am also disappointed and upset. Without a Gang War V for the Delaque the collection always remain somehow incomplete and without previews and compensation I'm not really inclined to buy the new books or e-books. It is also incomprehensible why the rules for the Delaque have a different bigger format than Nec17 rulebook and Gang War books.

In addition, the as better service hidden second price increase at Forge World after the introduction of Euro in their shop, although credit cards or paypal already paid in their currency. Because I was so upset about several things, I had to talk a little bit well.

It's sometimes difficult to translate meanings and often the subtleties are lost, but it seems the company did not designed N17 as perfect products for the happiness of customers, just only as a vehicle to sell something. The last year would have been even nicer if there were less irritation because of company policies and politics.

But, and that's the good thing in the end, I still love Necromunda and I'm confident to make something nice out of it.

Paupoi

Gang Champion
Jul 6, 2013
Barcelona, Sabadell
If you go all sociopath about it I guess I first saw the game at a critical point in my psyche development where I had intense feelings about post-apocalyptic gang warfare, what with Mad Max movies, Judge Dredd Comics and fallout games and god knows what else. That intese craving for psychopath wild west bandit style gangs in a nihilistic world never went away.

Also the rules were pretty good! Made me stop enjoying pretty much anything that was not campaign based. One off games? I want CONSEQUENCES and ubris apparently.
I always say any good game has to have one of two things, either you finish playing and want to play again right after or the game was over days or weeks ago but you and your pals still talk about it. Necromunda can be both but its mostly the second. You will always remember the time you shot a dude off a ledge and he fell into another dude killing the fell onto one but getting a miraculous recovery, gain xp with the one who fell. That kind of shit is hilarious and is what the game is all about to me. Also if this happened to you, please rename him to Mario.

Caledore

Juve
Jun 2, 2015
Maryland, USA
Skirmish games are the best. Mordheim is my absolute favorite miniature game. I always wanted to play original Necromunda but sadly I never had the opportunity to actually play with my models - so when the new version came out I jumped on the chance to get into it.

The game just oozes character. Crazy religious fanatics with recycled scrap weapons and explosive crossbows, punk rocker chicks with chems and poisons galore, hulked out roid junkies with industrial tools-turned-weapons...as much as I love mainstream 40k, it can't compete with the flavor of Necromunda.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
I came for the awesome scenery and cool minis. I stayed for the great stories about the dregs of Imperial society and the rise and fall of empires that have literally no effect on the wider world, let alone galaxy. Also for the frankly amazing campaign system (ORB/NCE, not N17/18) with which you can play campaigns lasting anywhere from a day to a decade.

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
I stayed for the great stories about the dregs of Imperial society
And that was just in the 'introducing yourself thread'!

Necromunda is awesome... I don;t really know how else to put into words why it's such a great game/world/setting/background

Killer Shrike

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Apr 13, 2016
San Diego
www.killershrike.com
Because growing your gang over the course of a good campaign is deeply satisfying. The agony of setbacks, the glory of hardbitten gains. The individual stories of the fighters who prove themselves and excel, and those who falter, fail, become crippled or die. Do you grit your teeth and try to hold on for one more round and possible "victory" or do you cut your loses and try to salvage the situation in post battle actions? Buy better gear, or get some new blood? You rolled the chance to pick the scenario for the ensuing battle...which scenario to choose! All the tension filled choices!

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
Indeed, I find rooting for the dregs of Imperial society so much more interesting than bio-engineered giant killing machines, evil daemons, and hive-minded alien swarms. There's something more relatable about Necromunda gangs - they're a bunch of scrappy underdogs trying to survive in a brutal world.
I agree, but the underhive is populated with super humans that have evolved to be resistant to radiation, toxics, and disease. And in the original rule books is the fluff for evil daemons, alien swarms, and my favorite, galactic misfits. I seem to remember that there were rules for a space marine, perhaps a scout, in the underhive, but not sure. Genestealer cults fluff in a tyranid or two, either simply fullbore tyranid genestealers or whatever will fit between your floors. Horamagaunts would be an excellent choice.

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
You need this book in your life - it’s based on 2nd edition rules same as the ORB and NCE and it gives stat lines for most 40k races.

It even gives stats for champions etc that you can use if the gangs stats are too good which neatly solved the CSM problem above.