Writing Crew Central

Orngog

YCE Project Manager
Tribe Council
Aug 30, 2014
Wiltshire
It has already been said but the Round/Phase/Turn/Activation/Action terminology needs to be clearly defined and consistently used throughout the rules.

My current understanding is that:

A game is made from:
  • The Pre-battle sequence
  • A succession of Rounds
  • The Post-battle sequence
A Round is made from:
  • The Priority phase
  • The Action phase
  • The End phase
The Action phase is made from:
  • A succession of player's Turns
A player's turn is made from:
  • One or several fighter's Activations (one in the usual case, several with Group Activation)
A fighter's Activation is made from:
  • One or several Actions (or zero)
Or, to put it another way:
  • Game
    • Pre-battle sequence
    • Rounds
      • Priority phase
      • Action phase
        • Player's Turns
          • Fighter's Activation(s)
            • Action(s)
      • End phase
    • Post-battle sequence

Orngog

YCE Project Manager
Tribe Council
Aug 30, 2014
Wiltshire
So with the rearranged document, am I right in thinking that we are now putting our collated suggestions straight into the appropriate section, rather than organising them by the thread page they come from? I ask because I never finished page 2 of general principles and now I can't find the parts I typed up!

Sorry for the messaround folks... Clearly I'm not a golfer.

@gleeptoid7 I think we want to steer clear of using copyrighted work for the sake of legality, we wouldn't want to cause any trouble for Our Lord And Saviour, or the site in general.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
So with the rearranged document, am I right in thinking that we are now putting our collated suggestions straight into the appropriate section, rather than organising them by the thread page they come from? I ask because I never finished page 2 of general principles and now I can't find the parts I typed up!
Yeah, I moved some stuff around this morning, and maybe rephrased a bit. Hopefully nothing got lost.
The idea is to have suggestions organised in the same order as the rulebook, using the same sections (with page ref.), as it should make pass 2 easier. It should also help avoid duplicate suggestions.

I kinda like the idea of using a spreadsheet instead of a doc btw. Not sure which one would be the best.

I think we want to steer clear of using copyrighted work for the sake of legality, we wouldn't want to cause any trouble for Our Lord And Saviour, or the site in general.
That being said, if we can manage something similar looking using only open-source assets...
We'd probably better avoid the grey background though, as I remember some people having an issue with it.

gleeptoid7

Juve
Jan 25, 2012
Oh I agree that using open source assets would be better. For that matter maybe it doesn't even need to be constrained to a book format like the GW titles.

Reactions: Thorgor

Orngog

YCE Project Manager
Tribe Council
Aug 30, 2014
Wiltshire
Thanks Thorgor, armed with that I can hopefully get back to where I was tomorrow... I can only imagine I'll be the last to be working on general principles. :notworthy:

Could I ask for a status report from everybody here please?

Edit: oh, and one idea that I had, perhaps it would be worth including possible house rulings where appropriate? Just making clear to people what decisions they can make themselves to change the nature of the game- as I fully expect such issues to come up when it comes to putting down changes. Maybe just a text box at the end of each section.

Last edited:

Jayward

Ganger
Aug 4, 2020
I've done Pg5 of General Principles. Didn't take long; most things were already suggested!

I think it might be worth stopping after 'The Rules' rather than ploughing on through the entire book. That's already going to be plenty to be getting on with, and if we take the time to get consistent wordings and game terms sorted first it will make everything else much easier.

Orngog

YCE Project Manager
Tribe Council
Aug 30, 2014
Wiltshire
Don't worry, @TopsyKretts and myself are very keen on not rushing through as we're aware the workload is quite something- indeed, I haven't finished collating page 2 yet!

And there's the Glossary to look at, and the action phase/shooting/close combat to do, as well as the original discussion and the development thread... Luckily we're gaining new members to the team, so expect to see some new faces here soon.

As of now Topsy is the Head Writer, so any decisions regarding workflow will be made by them. I would suggest any questions regarding the document be directed their way, but of course I'm always here and happy to help.

Last edited:

Orngog

YCE Project Manager
Tribe Council
Aug 30, 2014
Wiltshire
Woah now! I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I'd suggest waiting for the team as we don't want to duplicate anything or waste each others time.

That said, many thanks. You're doing good work there

Spenetrator

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Apr 2, 2018
York, UK
Woah now! I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I'd suggest waiting for the team as we don't want to duplicate anything or waste each others time.
Apologies, It's been hard to keep track of what the process is over so many threads, I maybe got the wrong end of the stick... Just picked a busy one that hadn't been started and updated it.

Do you want me to hold off for now or keep plugging away after I finish work tomorrow?

Orngog

YCE Project Manager
Tribe Council
Aug 30, 2014
Wiltshire
I don't think there is any reason to wait. Every suggestion is gonna end up in the shared document eventually, and it being shared means there is a low risk for duplicates.
Keep up the good work!
It's an interesting suggestion, I have reservations (there's still the glossary & development thread to look at, we could even consider the sump) but @TopsyKretts is in charge of the writing team so if they feel this is acceptable I'm happy to concede.