Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Supporter
Tribe Council
Sep 15, 2012
Alnwick, Northumberland
yaktribe.org
Hello all!
Some time ago I had an idea that having a guide to getting started with Necromunda might be quite useful for those who are returning to the game, or those who have just discovered it.
In the guide I would like to have as many aspects of the game and hobby covered as possible, things like proxying GW kits for Necro gangs (but ones that look decent, not counts-as), and also good third party kits and places to source weapons; lots of guides for building your own terrain on a small to medium budget (from cardboard to foamcore basically, with loads of different types of terrain pieces like water stills, pumping stations made out of cans and straws, etc); some basic tabletop standard painting guides for the different gangs, with alternate colour schemes if possible; tips on running a good narrative campaign and creating scenarios; through to more advanced things like advanced painting techniques like blending and grey-scaling (we have some fantastic painters on here, if they'd be willing to share their knowledge it would be a real boon), advanced terrain techniques (weathering, large pieces, advanced modular layouts and diorama standard terrain), and things like mould making and casting, magnetising, greenstuff tutorials, and anything else that would come in handy for novice and expert alike.
The book would be formatted to a high standard ideally, and I'd be looking to emulate the style of the good old GW painting and terrain guides, only focussing solely on Necromunda.
I intend to do as much of this myself as possible, and I've already got quite a few tutorials on this very site. These are the type of thing I'd be looking for; clear step by step guides with as many photos as possible. Anyone else who can contribute would be greatly appreciated, don't worry about formatting I'd take care of that and the editing and whatnot myself, but final say on which articles are included would be down to myself. I want the standard to be pretty high so please don't be offended if you submit something and it doesn't make the cut. It's nothing personal!
Anyone who contributes an article that is included would of course have the full and proper accreditation, and anyone who submits but doesn't get included will still get a contributors credit in the back of the book or something.
Time wise, I'm in no massive rush to get it done, but I'd like to have something workable within the next twelve months.
So if you've already got a log on here relating to painting or terrain, you've probably got 80% of an article already. If you're about to start a new project of painting or building a terrain piece, why not take some photos as you're doing it and put together a little how-to? You never know, a few years down the road it might inspire a new generation of Necro players to build or paint your subject! Congratulations! You've helped make someone's childhood more awesome!
If you'd like to contribute to what could be a really exciting and important document for people (re-)discovering Necromunda now that support has been completely stopped by its creators, please post below with the area(s) you think you can cover.
I'm really excited to do this, I think it could be an incredibly useful resource if we get it right, and could help keep this game alive and the community growing by showing them how easy it is to get started. I know from the quality of work I see here regularly that we have the right people in the community to make this project a reality.
Thank you.
Cardyfreak out.

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
I'm not sure if i'll be able to contribute owt of the high enough quality, but will have a look about for what I could cover... posibly jsut some extra examples of magnetisation using the new orlocks....

BeardLegend

I can't grow a beard
Mar 28, 2014
Southwark, London, SE17
I can't really paint with any skill or technical understanding of what I am doing. So I'd get this book just for that alone. I am willing to help out in the following ways. It's up to you to let me know if they're useful to you.

- Guide for finding players and kickstarting campaigns. I've done quite a lot of this recently with varying degrees of success. I've learned a lot since doing this and could quite quickly compile a do and don't list.
- Green Stuff Sculpting. - While I'm no expert, I will be showing some examples of my finished greening in Beardy's Cave soon. I'm proud of some of the work and it's come on very quickly. They're my first tries so I think that with an investment in some new tools and the application of new techniques and ideas I've been having, I could get a lot better very quickly.
- Terrain. - Again, while my early, makeshift work has been poorly finished. I've learned a lot quite quickly and could contribute to a scratch-built cardboard terrain section, as my cardboard is practically indestructably built, has survived much carting about and even spent some time in the rain.

Watch the cave for details... Or is it considered bad form to start another thread. Mine has meandered and gotten somewhat messy in parts. I'd still update it but it's not really configured as a handy guide to anything. More just me showing off, like a spoiled infant. :D

Reactions: trollmeat

cardyfreak

Executive Officer in charge of Radishes
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Supporter
Tribe Council
Sep 15, 2012
Alnwick, Northumberland
yaktribe.org
Continue to post in your own thread, this is really just for people to register any interest. If and when anyone creates a guide they can send me it, or I'll ask Malo if he could allocate a temporary space on the vault to dump all the articles, then when the guide is finished all remaining articles could be filed away into relevant sections of the vault.

AndyT81

Gang Hero
Yak Supporter
Yak Comp 1st Place
Aug 25, 2012
Tesside UK
Cool idea- not sure if any of my stuff would be of any use, but feel free to use it. My budget terrain thread on warseer has lots of ideas (from other people too) on it that could be added?
Andy

Bjecki

Gang Champion
Feb 20, 2014
Morwell VIC 3840
Cool idea indeed cardy. Happy to help any way I can. I can do more detailed step by step instructions on terrain including progress pics if you feel any of my stuff is worthy :) That's probably what I am most skilled at......unless you count blowing money on eBay as a skill :p

Loriel

Gang Hero
Nov 27, 2013
Kangasala, Finland
If you find any of my terrain/model work useful (mainly from budget perspective) feel free to use any pictures found in my blog in this endeavor. If you need more detailed description how are they made and from what materials I am more than happy to provide them.

One bonus about my blog is that I am very amateur builder / modeler and basicly anyone can do the same when they put their mind in to it. ;)

nooker

Prodigal Viking of the Librarium
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Feb 17, 2011
Brooklyn Park, MN
Well, I'd readily give anything made of paper to such a document: terrain, vehicles, even some minis for a place to quick start. Speaking of quick start, I've had this idea for a quick start/demo play that might be of use to an endeavor like this. Used it once and always have it in case it might of use again:

Each player gets 9 points
1 Leader: free
0-2 Heavies: 2 points each
Any number of gangers: 1 point each
Any number of juves, but no more than half the gang: .5 points each
Usual stats and restrictions apply.

Easily gamed, but designed for people who don't have enough knowledge to game it yet.

cardyfreak

Executive Officer in charge of Radishes
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Supporter
Tribe Council
Sep 15, 2012
Alnwick, Northumberland
yaktribe.org
Sweet @nooker, some photos of your card/paper terrain setups would be sweet. I remember you suggesting printing detail onto large stickers to stick I to card buildings and stuff, those kinds of tips would be excellent for this. If you can be arsed to write something, that'd be sweet but if not some photos would be great and a pm conversation at some point for me writing the article about using card would also be great. Thanks man.

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Trolling
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
I'm in if deemed worthy, I reckon I keep fairly a detailed log of anything new + my comp entries on my plog.

The cities of death stuff is a bit pricey but it's a way of still using GW kits to make a Necro board.

Love Orange

capitan

The Necronomicon
Yak Supporter
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Feb 7, 2013
Gorleston-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Right, so work has actually started on this! Here's a very early sampler of the kind of thing we want to produce:

https://yaktribe.games/community/vault/yaktribe-necromunda-sourcebook-sampler.636/

If anyone has any ideas for tutorials, whether it be for pieces of scatter terrain, painting guides, etc, etc, etc, we'd love to include them. They don't have to be massively exhaustive, simple and concise tuts are fine too!

If you've seen some images of gangs that are just so awesome they need to be included, send me a message and I'll try shoehorn them in or possibly add extra pages as it grows.

There's plans to have a tutorial section, a gang painting inspiration section, a terrain inspiration section and further down the line, it'd be cool to have some =][=munda galleries as well. If there's anything missing, let us know.

If you've any other thoughts and comments, feel free to post them here too!

And thanks @Matelloco and @ClockworkOrange we'll definitely be pinching some of your things for the terrain for starters!

Last edited by a moderator:

Blood Donor

Executive Officer in Charge of the 2014 Bake Sale
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Aug 23, 2011
Golden, British Columbia, Canada
...Also this should be in Wargamers Lounge or Briefing Room. Maybe Wargamers Lounge to have all the ideas sharing thread, and then have a thread in Briefing Room that is closed to the public but just serves as a place where you can leave notifications that new issues have been posted in the Vault (assuming this idea is issue-based).

capitan

The Necronomicon
Yak Supporter
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Feb 7, 2013
Gorleston-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Cheers @Blood Donor! As much as I'd love to be part of producing a new necromunda periodical, I just don't think I'll personally be able to commit the time all year around to make it happen. This idea (for me anyway) kinda centred around a new necromunda painting and modelling guide really - it is intended to be a one off document that gets updated with extra content as and when we have the time/can be arsed, in much the same way as the NCE rulebook! It's kinda a distillation of some of the great stuff that happens in the forums here as well as elsewhere on t'internet and it will hopefully help new players out with ideas on painting and modelling while also serving as a great big self congratulatory pat on the back for all our collective efforts! :D