Yak Comp 30 - The Cave!

Vote for your favourite entries to yakcomp 30!!!

• @ben_S Ratmen from the deep

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • @maxwellpower klevva gurl

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • @punktaku cawdor spelunking team

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • @Malevolent Pink Cat murder cyborg

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • @Kommissar Shriken hunting for wyrdstone

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • @MedMos tunnel critters

Votes: 13 59.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SuzumeStjohn

Sep 10, 2019
Ok, awesome! I just about to pick up some dudes to start a Chaos Cult (refluffed a bit). Could do them as explorers, and the 'Chaos Beast' as the monster. I've had sort of idea for it for a while. This will give me reason to start on it. This will be my first building models on my own. Newish to hobby, and I've just bought completed armies thus far.

maxwellrpower

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Apr 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
My entry is ready for paint!
20190917_151944-1.jpg

I'll try and keep going with upates in my thread.

Lucky I had a few days off work to knock this out, Skarnir's Big Vehicle Build is gonna keep me pretty busy.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
F8CA6E93-B981-42A7-A5EA-1B83539AEBC9.jpeg

So... after lamenting about the state of my bits box, i’ve got some work done on my ORB Cawdor spelunking crew. I had big plans for the night but the above is all i managed to accomplish. two head swaps (from the flagellants box) which don’t look as odd as i thought they would, and two weapon swaps that are more “useful” than their original CC weapons. i like the fifth model (gas mask and hood up) too much to bother making alterations

Jan 10, 2019
So, I doubt I'll finish in time (already lost time due to a holiday..), and someone is going to have to confirm that this actually satisfies the brief (and if it doesn't, that's no problem at all!), but...

Maul hauled the rat-faced hive-miner to one side, scattering the thin crowd that had begun to gather in front of the narrow crevice. As he pushed his blunt head into the darkness, Chainlock and Forge took up flanking positions either side of the gap, their sheer bulk blocking their boss from view.

Inside the hole, it took time for Maul's vision to adjust to the low light. As it begun to do so, he cursed the scraggin' tunnel scum that had brought news of this "find". The "cave" was barely worth the name - he could reach from one rocky wall to the wall without even stretching his arms, and it was only six feet deep, blocked by a rock-fall that looked centuries old. Dust motes swirled in the finger of light that reached the cave.

A rictus of rage distorted Maul's face and, impotent, he kicked a loose stone at the tumbled stone of the cave-in. The piled rocks groaned and shifted slightly. Maul moved to leave, but as he turned the pile shifted again, and where the stones had moved he saw a flash of yellow paint. Grunting, he knelt down, started digging, and slowly, his grimace turned into a grin...

Last edited:

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I forget whether I included the link to my plog. Work on my entry begins here:

This is where I'm at for now. These guys are practically finished.

View media item 37783
The plan was to do a few more bits to go with them, to enhance the theme, but at least it looks like I'll have something for both the comp and FYSC.

Kommissar Shriken

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 21, 2016
Regensburg
hello guys!

my chaos warband entry turned into a mercenary gang, i started to make a new boss for my reiklanders to put him on a little diorama against the chaos horde, but i had so much fun to convert him, so i decided to make a new version of all my heroes and my entry is turning more and more from chaos to mercenaries...

heres the actually status. hope you like them.

dsc-1417-jpg.jpg

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
So my youngest is sick so i had to take the day off and bring her to the doctor (it’s a virus). That gave me an opportunity to prime my crew, as it’s a lovely day, while she was napping. Another attempt at zenithol highlights (and some slight body damage that needs fixing)
C1BFBDA6-F901-45D1-B4FF-C30E322A9050.jpeg

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I was originally hoping to do something else alongside my plague monks, but looks very unlikely. I should probably take another photo for my official entry. In case I don't get round to it though, this is what I have:

View media item 37940
EDIT:

Managed another photo, which had better lighting and spaced the models out more, but the consequence is they're not all in focus. I think actually the first may be better.

View media item 38577

Last edited:
Reactions: MedMos

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
I am working on my critters every chance I get, but it's slow going. And I haven't gotten used to my new work schedule... It's only one night a week, but it's Friday, so what used to be my best time for hobbying is now bombed. My wife's got next week off work, so hopefully I can sneak some time and get this done!

Reactions: Aulenback

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
I have an idea for a spore cave but it involves a 4x4 table layout so might not be able to do it in a few days. Lol ... Especially the glowing fungi.

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
A little progress today, while watching 101 Dalmatians with the 3yo during the little ones nap. Put some greenstuff on the critters and knocked out some bases while it dried. The Beastmaster was glued together yesterday and based today as well. I might make it!

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I know there's only a few days left, so it's pretty late in the game to ask, but I just went through the Comp Rules thread. I didn't see a "minimum # of colors" or a "entry must be painted" rule. Is there such a rule? (Maybe those are FYSC rules?)

Also, the Comp Winner portion of the rules thread needs some serious updating...

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
I think the most important rule is "show your work", but of course the best painted entries often run with a lot of the votes. That isn't to say that an awesome, inventive entry without paint couldn't do well, though! But comp entries are often show pieces, I think.

Reactions: trollmeat
Jan 10, 2019
I don't suppose there's any possibility of the closing date miraculously becoming Sunday is there? I'm getting there, but the extra time would make the difference between "properly finished" and "rushed for purposes of meeting deadline"...

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
I don't think the chances are great of that happening... I can always use extra time, but it wouldn't be fair to those that are already done. It wouldn't be much of a competition if everyone made their own finish line. :giggle:

3 comments

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
True, there always seems to be a rush at the last moment. I also think we haven't seen the entries of a few people who supposedly finished really early this time...