Update Yak forum updates discussion

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
Is there a way to go back to the main forum page from a subforum group, other than selecting forum from the dropdown menu or hitting the back button?

For example if I click on the “Tribe News” forum, then click then click the button at the top that takes me back to “Yaktribe Games” i can only access the three forums that are part of that group.

There is no li k in the Yaktribe Games subgroup that takes you back to the main forum page.
Click on Forums instead of YakTribe Games. The Forums link at the start of the breadcrumb is the forum main page. The YakTribe Games should probably be renamed as it's misleading.

Edit: also where is the rules questions sub forum? Currently it looks like it is just pumped into the all encompassing Necromunda group.

I’m playing with this as I’m editing this comment. I assume the way I’m supposed to find rules queries is to go to the Necromunda Node and then select the sub-Node for rules?
Correct, instead of sub-forums, they're now topics. So in the Necromunda node, you can use the Topic options to drill down to what you want specifically.

If this is the case is there a way to save a selection of different node selections as shortcuts for each user? It’s going to get really annoying to have to select and unselect sub-nodes to view different categories in the forum and keep track of what I have and haven’t read.

I am probably an old grognard, but I liked that the old forum was a proper forum and not a #metadata social media platform.
Well it actually remembers what topics you're looking at but I see what you mean for going directly to what used to be a sub-forum. I'll see what options there are for maybe adding the topics to the node container which would in effect achieve the same thing. Your feedback is appreciated (that sounds so canned lol), but I need these responses to tune what I'm trying to do here and make it work for you all. If many users just get annoyed then it's not working for us, it's not a better system and we may need to go back to sub-forums.

1) Is there something to differentiate threads with new posts from threads I'm up to date with in the "traditional" forum areas? At the moment a post I have read looks the same as a post I have not.
There seems to be an issue with a lot of the color styling and new flagging. It's a high priority for me as that's one of the core features of XF that must work properly. I couldn't do without new post coloring and behavior.

2) Is there something to differentiate the "sticky" threads from the "general" threads - for example in the Necromunda subforum there are quite a lot of sticky threads (with the little red pin), and you have to scroll reasonably far down to get to the "general" threads. The little red pin doesn't feel like it's enough to suggest "scroll further young padawan, there are fresh and hip threads below". Formerly they were separated by an obvious box, which was a bit clearer.
I'll see what I can do. Since all the sub-forums are now merged, there's a lot more than there used to be. If drilling down to a particular topic(s) then it's not as bad, and maybe some of the stickies shouldn't be there anymore but instead featured another way.

3) Personally I find it difficult to read the forum areas with art behind the names/descriptions. I feel the images are too bright, so the contrast between bright image and ligth text makes it difficult for me. It might just be me, and if so never mind, but it might be clearer if the images were dulled/darkened a little bit more?
Agreed. I think I had it tuned more on the dev site when testing it so I'll take a look and adjust it.

I use some of my finished mini pictures, stored in my "Stoof's Stuff" album, as ganger images in the tools. Does that mean the entirity of my finished stuff album is now marked as out-of-bounds for the art ticker at the top?
That's correct. One of the big requests for the media featuring is making sure all the gang images weren't showing. If you're using the same album but want other media within the album to show, it needs to be moved to an album in another category or personal.

Also any chance the menu drop down can be put on the right hand side to match the drop down menu location of the entry page, or vice versa?
Yes this is something I was trying to get done by release but couldn't. I'll be adjusting the main site to suite the forums.
Previously, you could tell if there were unread posts in a thread by it being marked bold in the list, but I can't find something equivalent in the new system. Am I missing something here?
As above, it's a high priority for me to get fixed.

I have 2 questions please. 1. How can we delete media like we used to? and 2. How can we make an image into an album cover. Thx
Delete should be returned to your permissions now. I believe you worked out the covers since I approved some for you?

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
You should have chat rights now. I'm going to have to review staff permissions fully since you're separate from standard registration rights.

Reactions: spafe

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
I'm not sure how you add a node to an existing thread. Like my Plog, which is also a fancy Minature log too, just has "Miniatures". How do I add "Painting Log" to it so it filters correctly?

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
I'm not sure how you add a node to an existing thread. Like my Plog, which is also a fancy Minature log too, just has "Miniatures". How do I add "Painting Log" to it so it filters correctly?
Due to Topics affecting the way the threads work, changing topics is only available to staff. I can't grant that ability even if I wanted to (unless I gave you lots of other powers). I've updated yours and I am going to be modifying as many as possible myself.

Reactions: Stoof

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Click on Forums instead of YakTribe Games. The Forums link at the start of the breadcrumb is the forum main page. The YakTribe Games should probably be renamed as it's misleading.
This doesn’t work on iPhone safari in either light or dark them.

There is no forums breadcrumb to click on to take me back past the YakTribe Games group of three sub forums.

The highest level parent in the breadcrumb trail is YakTribe Games.

P.s. I’m not sure if I’m using the terminology right above as I don’t know web design and IT buzzwords.

Edit: I’ve also noticed there is now a time limit on editing and deleting posts of three minutes.

Is there any way to turn off this feature as it stops me from having an updated first post for campaigns or other uses (like the YakComps).

Reactions: Aulenback

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
This doesn’t work on iPhone safari in either light or dark them.

There is no forums breadcrumb to click on to take me back past the YakTribe Games group of three sub forums.

The highest level parent in the breadcrumb trail is YakTribe Games.
I see what you mean now, I was looking at desktop. There's no chain in the mobile breadcrumb and it doesn't go back all the way. I'll see what options there are here.

EDIT: ok found the options, this is fixed @almic85 and @cardyfreak

I’ve also noticed there is now a time limit on editing and deleting posts of three minutes.
I'd applied this to the wrong group sorry. New registrations are limited to 3 minutes, Juve's and up are unlimited.

Is there still a chat room? I get a notice suggesting that people are chatting, but I can't see where.
Yep but it may not be immediately noticeable as it's not in the same location. It appears at the bottom of the browser, just click on the bar. Unless there's some other issue.

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
I think something might not be working quite right with the change of colouring from read to unread.

For example, I came in and looked at this thread as it said there was a new post. I read @Draconic's post above then navigated away to Miniatures & Terrain. Upon returning to the main forum overview it still says this thread has an unread post, and is showing it in yellow (dark theme).

In Miniatures & Terrain when I opened it a few minutes ago it said there were several unread threads, and indeed there were several in yellow showing unread. I looked at two of them, but upon breadcrumbing back to M&T, none of the threads were yellow anymore despite me only looking at two of the four or five which had been updated since I logged in earlier this morning.

I realise that the introcudtion of the colouring was not retrospective i.e. it will only colour threads updated since you introduced the colouring, not ones updated yesterdsay for instance.

EDIT - Just checked again. I know I have not read Persival's Gang's thread or Clockwork's Troll-lol-lol thread in M&T since they were updated in the last hour, and the forum overview it says there are unread threads in M&T, but none are showing as unread.

EDIT EDIT - It might be "comment" rather than post related maybe?

Capture1.PNGCapture.PNG

Last edited:

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Yep but it may not be immediately noticeable as it's not in the same location. It appears at the bottom of the browser, just click on the bar. Unless there's some other issue.

View attachment 87082
Ah, presumably it's hidden under the banner asking for permission to enable push notifications. (I see that I can close that, but hadn't done so because I don't even know what it means, let alone whether I want to enable it.)

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Push notifications means that your web browser can send a notification directly to your phone to alert you of new things.

Essentially it is pushing the notifications to your phone so you know they exist instead of you pulling them onto your phone by looking at the website.

It’s the same as most modern applications that create pop ups on your phone while it’s locked or that puts a numbered badge on an application to let you know how much you have missed.

Reactions: Malo and Ben_S

Chronos

Ganger
Sep 19, 2017
Madrid
I think it has happened twice but I'm not sure... I had several unread threads and after refreshing the page they were showing as read. Anybody else getting the feeling of having some kind of "auto mark everything as read"?

Reactions: Aulenback and Stoof

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Definitely something up. I just went to the Necromunda forum where there were several unread posts, read one, and when I went back to the sub forum they were all coloured as read. The overview bit on the main forum page is still saying there are unread posts. It seems to be un-hightlighting them, but it knows they haven't really been read yet.

Reactions: Aulenback