Update Yak forum updates discussion

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Click on Forums instead of YakTribe Games. The Forums link at the start of the breadcrumb is the forum main page. The YakTribe Games should probably be renamed as it's misleading.
This doesn’t work on iPhone safari in either light or dark them.

There is no forums breadcrumb to click on to take me back past the YakTribe Games group of three sub forums.

The highest level parent in the breadcrumb trail is YakTribe Games.

P.s. I’m not sure if I’m using the terminology right above as I don’t know web design and IT buzzwords.

Edit: I’ve also noticed there is now a time limit on editing and deleting posts of three minutes.

Is there any way to turn off this feature as it stops me from having an updated first post for campaigns or other uses (like the YakComps).

Reactions: Aulenback

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
This doesn’t work on iPhone safari in either light or dark them.

There is no forums breadcrumb to click on to take me back past the YakTribe Games group of three sub forums.

The highest level parent in the breadcrumb trail is YakTribe Games.
I see what you mean now, I was looking at desktop. There's no chain in the mobile breadcrumb and it doesn't go back all the way. I'll see what options there are here.

EDIT: ok found the options, this is fixed @almic85 and @cardyfreak

I’ve also noticed there is now a time limit on editing and deleting posts of three minutes.
I'd applied this to the wrong group sorry. New registrations are limited to 3 minutes, Juve's and up are unlimited.

Is there still a chat room? I get a notice suggesting that people are chatting, but I can't see where.
Yep but it may not be immediately noticeable as it's not in the same location. It appears at the bottom of the browser, just click on the bar. Unless there's some other issue.

Draconic

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Nov 2, 2017
Osborne Park WA 6017, Australia
Thanks @Malo, I still cant see an option to delete images from my gallery. Can you only delete it from a thread?

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
I likewise need to free up some space by deleting a few "in progress" images from my Albums. That'll teach me to be less enthusiastic with similar in progress shots. Anyhow. No longer able to delete my own images.

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
3 comments

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
I think something might not be working quite right with the change of colouring from read to unread.

For example, I came in and looked at this thread as it said there was a new post. I read @Draconic's post above then navigated away to Miniatures & Terrain. Upon returning to the main forum overview it still says this thread has an unread post, and is showing it in yellow (dark theme).

In Miniatures & Terrain when I opened it a few minutes ago it said there were several unread threads, and indeed there were several in yellow showing unread. I looked at two of them, but upon breadcrumbing back to M&T, none of the threads were yellow anymore despite me only looking at two of the four or five which had been updated since I logged in earlier this morning.

I realise that the introcudtion of the colouring was not retrospective i.e. it will only colour threads updated since you introduced the colouring, not ones updated yesterdsay for instance.

EDIT - Just checked again. I know I have not read Persival's Gang's thread or Clockwork's Troll-lol-lol thread in M&T since they were updated in the last hour, and the forum overview it says there are unread threads in M&T, but none are showing as unread.

EDIT EDIT - It might be "comment" rather than post related maybe?

Capture1.PNGCapture.PNG

Last edited:

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Yep but it may not be immediately noticeable as it's not in the same location. It appears at the bottom of the browser, just click on the bar. Unless there's some other issue.

View attachment 87082
Ah, presumably it's hidden under the banner asking for permission to enable push notifications. (I see that I can close that, but hadn't done so because I don't even know what it means, let alone whether I want to enable it.)

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Push notifications means that your web browser can send a notification directly to your phone to alert you of new things.

Essentially it is pushing the notifications to your phone so you know they exist instead of you pulling them onto your phone by looking at the website.

It’s the same as most modern applications that create pop ups on your phone while it’s locked or that puts a numbered badge on an application to let you know how much you have missed.

Reactions: Malo and Ben_S

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
It also works with OS browsers and is a separate push registration. With windows 10 if you register YakTribe for Push notifications in the browser, you'll get the windows popups when you get alerts. It's also highly recommended to tune your push notifications to ones you really want. I turned off Reaction push.

Reactions: Ben_S

Chronos

Ganger
Sep 19, 2017
Madrid
I think it has happened twice but I'm not sure... I had several unread threads and after refreshing the page they were showing as read. Anybody else getting the feeling of having some kind of "auto mark everything as read"?

Reactions: Aulenback and Stoof

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Definitely something up. I just went to the Necromunda forum where there were several unread posts, read one, and when I went back to the sub forum they were all coloured as read. The overview bit on the main forum page is still saying there are unread posts. It seems to be un-hightlighting them, but it knows they haven't really been read yet.

Fold

Gang Hero
Oct 26, 2013
London E2
fromthewastes.com
I can confirm it doesn’t work, though in the opposite way - I keep seeing threads classified as having unread posts where I have in fact read all the posts (including the inline replies).

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
I can confirm it doesn’t work, though in the opposite way - I keep seeing threads classified as having unread posts where I have in fact read all the posts (including the inline replies).
:confused: That's messed up. Can you try marking all forums as read and see if they start flagging correctly?

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
Just a quick note to all regarding the Guilds. Don't think of creating a Guild specifically for Necromunda, though that's going to be the case most of the time. The Guild is your group of people you game with. The Roster is what determines the group of players for a specific game. You may create a separate roster for other games at some point within the same guild, with different players from the same guild. You may also create more Necromunda rosters later for a group that might contain slightly different players from the guild.

Fold

Gang Hero
Oct 26, 2013
London E2
fromthewastes.com
:confused: That's messed up. Can you try marking all forums as read and see if they start flagging correctly?
Maybe I was wrong actually. Starting to think it was actually flagging a post as unread due to having unread comments much further back in the thread.

So, it’s technically correct - it’s doing what it’s designed to do. Whether that is a good idea though is another matter!

Reactions: Stoof

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
Agree with @Aulenback they are the same options i have
uuuuggggh there's this new change to permissions where "Delete Media" set to yes doesn't necessarily mean you can delete media/albums when the "time to delete" is set to zero, which used to mean unlimited. Now there's a separate unlimited option. I've made a change again.

Gdolkin

Gang Hero
Jun 25, 2017
Nottingham
Ummm, if I try and look at Miniatures and Terrain/Tribe News/Yak Mechanicum/Musings/etc Forums they're all saying 'there are no threads in this forum'. I can get on whatever thread is newest activity but that's it..
Oh wait, I had a pink Necromunda filter on that must have stopped me seeing any of the Necromunda I want to see. I love Yaktribe and I love you Malo for running it, but I hate technology, and I see I'm gonna have trouble with all these layers of tools that allegedly help but only hinder someone like me :( I don't want pushy notifications or a hundred ways to trip myself up just trying to see what's new in the wonderful world of Yaks and inadvertantly hide what I'm trying to find.. I guess if I never click on anything except the Forum and Thread titles I'm interested in I might manage to cope ;)

Last edited:

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
Ummm, if I try and look at Miniatures and Terrain/Tribe News/Yak Mechanicum/Musings/etc Forums they're all saying 'there are no threads in this forum'. I can get on whatever thread is newest activity but that's it..
Oh wait, I had a pink Necromunda filter on that must have stopped me seeing any of the Necromunda I want to see. I love Yaktribe and I love you Malo for running it, but I hate technology, and I see I'm gonna have trouble with all these layers of tools that allegedly help but only hinder someone like me :( I don't want pushy notifications or a hundred ways to trip myself up just trying to see what's new in the wonderful world of Yaks and inadvertantly hide what I'm trying to find.. I guess if I never click on anything except the Forum and Thread titles I'm interested in I might manage to cope ;)
Yeah I've tripped myself up a few times with having a topic filter on. I'm going to give this a week or two then we'll gauge whether that particular feature should go away.

Reactions: spafe and Gdolkin

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
Yeah, I’ve done the same. It’s worse on my iPhone 5S as the tick boxes almost get hidden and it’s easier to ‘view all’ and deselect them than try to scroll through.

Gdolkin

Gang Hero
Jun 25, 2017
Nottingham
It was that pesky little pink Necromunda box that has a plus sign in it where all the other filter boxes are blank, it seduced me into thinking if I clicked it I would see only Necromunda as opposed to Blood Bowl, Mordheim etc, silly Gdolkin doesn't know how filters and hashtags and such sorcery works, aaaaaaahh..
Thanks for the reply Malo and for not being snippy about my Luddite grumbling in the face of your work and dedication (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: Malo

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
@Malo it might be an idea to put the bit about nodes and topics in your first post at the very top with a bigger heading.

It’s the biggest change to basic functionality in the new forum for end users and it looks like it’s only a final aside in your post.

If people don’t get on board or understand what is happening you will end up losing people who get frustrated with a feature they can’t use.

Also a suggestion that for the topics that can be filtered in the nodes I think it would be better to push either the game type OR the subforum heading as the universal filter.

You have Nodes for each of the game types so you shouldn’t need topics to filter those same nodes. If you are finding that there are sub forums that need those filters then you need to start looking at how to kill those sub forums or move them into the selected Node structure.

It’s also a pain in the arse to find that filtering by the Necromunda topic only shows one thread.