Update Yak forum updates discussion

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
The new chat system is far more robust and is available anywhere rather than the forum home. I'd really suggest getting used to it as you'll like it much better than a simple shoutbox.
I was happy with the shoutbox tbh. I don't need features. What I want out of a chat system is to be able to see what other people are saying easily and respond to them.

I just know I won't use it as it is. It blends in at the bottom of my screen and is reminiscent of a cookie notification which I usually ignore.

I can understand if others feel differently though.

Reactions: Ben_S

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Yeah, on the phone I find it gets in the way a bit, but on the computer I actually quite like how it's just tucked away at the bottom, but can be opened/closed easily.

I don't know how feasible it is malo, but is there a way to have options for it so it only appears at the bottom on the main forum page but not in each thread that you open? Not sure if that would be better for you Tiny?

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
Yeah, on the phone I find it gets in the way a bit, but on the computer I actually quite like how it's just tucked away at the bottom, but can be opened/closed easily.
I did enable an option last night to make it more compact on mobile when its closed and it's definitely better now.
I don't know how feasible it is malo, but is there a way to have options for it so it only appears at the bottom on the main forum page but not in each thread that you open? Not sure if that would be better for you Tiny?
Yes, I can make it visible on forum list only. I've also just placed it on the sidebar instead as a comparison, we have lots of options of where it can be placed. If people prefer it on a sidebar, I can keep it there.

Reactions: spafe

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
. I've also just placed it on the sidebar instead as a comparison,
yes you did and it confused the life out of me!

My issue with it on the side bar now, is it keeps pinging up to the top of the convo, not the bottom (ie. latest message).

Reactions: Punktaku

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
Its mainly that you only see one line of the chat at the bottom of the page on PC so I just never click on it to see what people are talking about. Having it in the sidebar means every time I go to the forum home page I can see a few back and forth lines which are easier to read and join in with.

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
My next step is to remove all Node Topics on dev and try out thread Topics only for certain nodes. I like the concept of Topics for certain uses and want to try and make it work.

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
I... broke my chat, sorry :cry:

I changed the display location from side to bottom and now it's gone and I can't find how to get it back... don't suppose you know where the setting is do you? Sorry!

(it prompted me to refresh once I'd changed the setting and now I can't see a chat box anywhere)

Reactions: sump dweller

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Same as @Stoof here.

Edit - very non IT person here, what are these 'node' things you guys are talking about?
Fixed it! @sump dweller - change the theme to Default (i.e. non-YakTribe), the chat box will come back at the bottom, then select "all pages" for the dispaly mode, refresh and you'll get it back again at the bottom for whichever theme you prefer.

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
I've set it back to All Pages display mode, obviously issues with the chat losing focus when in sidebar mode. Changing this won't override your own setting if you've changed it to whatever, just for users with no personalized display mode.

very non IT person here, what are these 'node' things you guys are talking about?
A "Node" is each of the forums. So Musings is a Node, Necromunda is a Node. With categories and sub-forums, you end up with a Node Tree.

Draconic

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Nov 2, 2017
Osborne Park WA 6017, Australia
@Malo I changed my chat bar location to "below content" (i think thats what it was called) now i cant find it, is there a way to get it back? Also i accidentally commented on an image of mine when i thought it was a thread post and i cant find any option to delete the comment? Thanks in advance.

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
The chat issue on sidebar mode has been fixed. It was a problem with the theme's sticky mode which I've adjusted and seems to be working properly now.

edit: The Above and Below Content display modes are now fixed as well.

Last edited: