yak-kon 2014 planning

horus

Juve
Nov 28, 2013
Reigate
Hi team

I think the yaktribe community should try to recreate a UK version of Blue Table Painting's valhalla (many videos on youtube)

basically it would be a weekend gaming event. Ideally in a hotel or something. yaktribe could sell tickets and could make money. I'm sure there would be a lot of us.

just an idea

BeardLegend

I can't grow a beard
Mar 28, 2014
Southwark, London, SE17
Support Yak-Con!

Edit: But just do you know, I think the majority of the Yaktribe elders are based in the USA, so precedence would probably be given to them for a first Yak-Con. I would be well up for attempting a Yaktribe meet. I think it'd be hilarious.

So much dakka under one roof. I might actually die.

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
dibs on your orlocks! :p

And Cardy's here, I think some of the others are in scandanavia... a few down under...

BeardLegend

I can't grow a beard
Mar 28, 2014
Southwark, London, SE17
Haha. You can have first crack at them Spafe, for sure. There's a few fellow UK'ers 'ere. I think it would potentially be do-able if cardyfreak was game. Don't know if we should all stay at the same hotel though ... you know what Horus did, right? ;)

Probably not a lot of money in it for the Yak though, depends on numbers. There'd have to be a way of getting an idea of attendance prior to meet.

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
I forsee things going like in waterworld... (anyone who hasnt seen it...watch it, now!)

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
If we took a central point of the members, we'd have to meet in Nigeria or something. At least we'll be able to hook up with all those princes and such wanting to move their millions overseas.

Reactions: Kyle Dracup

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
I've been there, I dont recomend it. Lagos is nice, but as soon as your 20 mins away from central it looks like the start of slumdog millionaire. Other parts might be nice though, never really got to explore too much...

cardyfreak

Executive Officer in charge of Radishes
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Supporter
Tribe Council
Sep 15, 2012
Alnwick, Northumberland
yaktribe.org
A UK one would be ace. I'd probably opt for somewhere central and with good travel links, somewhere like Leeds or something. Or Newcastle cos it's close to me! Or move it annually! Yaaay!
If there was an interesting format it would be great. Even if it was just a piss up it would be great.

Reactions: AndyT81

BeardLegend

I can't grow a beard
Mar 28, 2014
Southwark, London, SE17
Whup! Cardy. A piss up would be fine. A piss up with games would be better!!

I'm not bothered where. I'll attend but if it was going to be annually then it's fair that it shuffle around the UK like a demented Hobo. Do you reckon we could fill the NEC? :ROFLMAO:

Tulkas

Mr. Shadowlord
Mordheim Professor
Yak Supporter
Mar 23, 2012
Netherlands, Groningen
The idea is pretty cool. For a "once a year" some of us non-UK could pop over for the weekend. Call it a convention for work so the wife can't come. Then let her sit in wonder why you're packing all the miniatures but non of your work stuff. Then tell her to piss off. Then make arrangements to move there permanently and ask for political asylum, since the situations for you in your homecountry have had a turn for the worse. Well at least you'd have your Gangers with you and the Asylum centre would become the next Necro-Hub.

BeardLegend

I can't grow a beard
Mar 28, 2014
Southwark, London, SE17
Haha! It doesn't really work like that anymore what with the Con-Dem alliance, Tulkas. To be honest, I was thinking of moving to Scandewegia somewhere... but what with the sparsity of players there and the possibility of a yak-con ... plus the glowing reference you've just given it, I might just stay here and suffer it.

Blood Donor

Executive Officer in Charge of the 2014 Bake Sale
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Aug 23, 2011
Golden, British Columbia, Canada
I don't think that the creative inputs of North American Yakkers should deter in any way a UK Hive-party. I feel like a well-enough organized event somewhere in the UK could even draw a few players from outside of the British Isles area: considering the cost of every other aspect of a hobby that rarely delivers nearby opponents, it doesn't seem unreasonable to drop $300/ £200 on transportation for a whole weekend of dice rolling/ looking at historic British shit in the rain. Might be able to get a good chunk of Euro players.

BeardLegend

I can't grow a beard
Mar 28, 2014
Southwark, London, SE17
So there's too much chat here but not enough pudding ... ... and I need my pudding!

1. - Consensus on place to be reached.
2. - Dates to be arranged.
3. - UK players to put forward a chair-group of 3-5 guys. This will probably represent the majority of players attending. :D
4. - Chair-Group to assign jobs/responsibilities amongst members of chair-group, discuss the following.
- a) Agree Town/City.
- b) Finding a venue/negotiating group rate.
- c) Providing easy travel links and information.
- d) Accomodation - Groups or Every Man for Himself?
- e) Informing the Yaktribe and keeping them up to date/knowledgeable of the event.
- f) Utilise Yaktribe's banner (The one that keeps asking me if I know anything about Mordeheim) to ask players to commit their attendance?
- g) Fees. (Pardon my French, but someone was going to have to say it eventually).
Edit: - h) Com-Pet-It-I-Ons!!!!

When someone gets organised these things actually happen. Lets do it.

cardyfreak

Executive Officer in charge of Radishes
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Supporter
Tribe Council
Sep 15, 2012
Alnwick, Northumberland
yaktribe.org
The competitions could be incredibly cool if the deep stat tracking feature was implemented. We would basically start a campaign with everyone who is coming entering a gang. Then there would be an arbitrator at every table doing the data entry for that game. At the end of the day/weekend we see who is top. Issue beer/beatings.

BeardLegend

I can't grow a beard
Mar 28, 2014
Southwark, London, SE17
True, though you're assuming we'll actually get enough people to justify having an aribrator ... or more than one table, for that matter. :D

Stop touting your (many) wonderful ideas! More pudding! Lets kick names and take ass, people!

Edit: I nominate the Freaky Cardy to chair the UK group.